Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witch

Saw this the other day and enjoyed it..a slow descent into madness and mayhem...

Re: The Witch

I didn't love the film.

There were too many places where I couldn't make out what the characters were saying.

I also have a problem with how early certain information was revealed. I think they blew a chance to have made a much better film.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell McLean View Post
      I didn't love the film.

There were too many places where I couldn't make out what the characters were saying.
      Script's online.

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
        Script's online.
        post a link please?

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
          Script's online.
          Reading the screenplay shouldn't be a prerequisite.

Comment

i was mentioning the same thing to a co-worker earlier. I couldn't understand a thing they were saying. I found this movie to be pretty uneventful and boring.

Comment

Just curious-- was it the language or the sound?

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                Just curious-- was it the language or the sound?
                probably a little of both. I had five English roommates in California, so I've been around them long enough to understand Northern and Southern slang. Lots of frantic screaming at each other with a Shakespearian twist. Anyway, just never was engaging.

Comment

Well I loved it. Reminded me a lot of The Shining, in terms of pacing and tone. Even the music was very reminiscent of Ligeti's. The performances were excellent across the board, but special mention has to go to Anya Taylor-Joy in the main role.

As for understanding the dialogue, maybe it helps that I married someone from Lancashire, so half my in-laws have that accent; the language is archaic but nothing to be afraid of - I found The Revenant's dialogue far tougher on the ear (possibly US audiences didn't).
                  My stuff

Comment

Originally posted by medic1 View Post
                    Lots of frantic screaming at each other with a Shakespearian twist.
                    That's England in a nut-shell.
                    Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                    "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Reading the screenplay shouldn't be a prerequisite.
                      It's a great script. Once I started I couldn't stop.

Maybe I was possessed.

Comment

I caught it at a festival back in October last year and it went down really well. It's beautifully shot but some people found the dialogue a bit heavy - less so to do with the accents (Yorkshire) and more with the actual dialogue - It's super realistic and I believe it was taken from actual written documents from the period (so I was told at said festival).

Comment

Working...
                        X