Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #11
Bunker

Default Re: Not responding back after reading script

There's a perception that Hollywood is a thick-skin, scream-in-your-face, tell-it-like-it-is business. But I've seen the exact opposite be true. This industry is filled with passive-aggressive, conflict averse people. That's how many of them survive so long.

I get ghosted all... the... time.

Even after spending WEEKS crafting a pitch or new draft with an exec, if it hits some resistance up the ladder, I won't hear it from them. Throughout the process, the exec will respond to emails immediately and hop on the phone at any hour, but after the pitch is done or the script goes to talent or whatever the next step is, it's always me or my agent who has to follow up to find out that the project isn't moving forward.

This has happened multiple times where it's on ME to be the adult who reaches out to say "Hey, I heard it didn't work out. Too bad, it was a cool project. I loved working with you. We'll get 'em on the next one!"

And more than one of those execs has come back to me months later with a new pitch opportunity, so it's not like they ghosted me because I'm so horrible that they never wanted to work with me again or something.

This town has a real problem with being up-front. And I don't blame a handful of crazy writers for that. People in this town just don't like conflict.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #12
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
The Silent No was born out of the multitude of desperate writers who can't take NO for an answer. Producers and reps are fed up with writers who think an emailed pass is an invitation to open a dialogue where they beg, plead, and threaten, not accepting that negative answer.

I've talked to producers who have regaled me with horror stories. With the thousands of writers now with scripts and most of them with no limits on how they react, the silent no came into being. You send one reminder after 3 weeks, if you hear nothing, move on.

It's the new normal.
Oooh. I'd love to hear those stories.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
There's a perception that Hollywood is a thick-skin, scream-in-your-face, tell-it-like-it-is business. But I've seen the exact opposite be true. This industry is filled with passive-aggressive, conflict averse people. That's how many of them survive so long.

I get ghosted all... the... time.

Even after spending WEEKS crafting a pitch or new draft with an exec, if it hits some resistance up the ladder, I won't hear it from them. Throughout the process, the exec will respond to emails immediately and hop on the phone at any hour, but after the pitch is done or the script goes to talent or whatever the next step is, it's always me or my agent who has to follow up to find out that the project isn't moving forward.

This has happened multiple times where it's on ME to be the adult who reaches out to say "Hey, I heard it didn't work out. Too bad, it was a cool project. I loved working with you. We'll get 'em on the next one!"

And more than one of those execs has come back to me months later with a new pitch opportunity, so it's not like they ghosted me because I'm so horrible that they never wanted to work with me again or something.

This town has a real problem with being up-front. And I don't blame a handful of crazy writers for that. People in this town just don't like conflict.
I think this is probably the most true.

Last year at Austin a well-known manager stated that, since the WGA/ATA dispute, even he gets ghosted. It's just part of the business. People don't want to deal with negative situations. We don't either.

I like your approach, Bunker. It's proactive and immediately puts the person at ease because now they don't have anything in the way of working together in the future. Really smart, actually.

It's not relegated to the entertainment industry; that's why I feel it's more about avoiding conflict/confrontation at delivering bad news more than anything else.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #14
CthulhuRises

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
The Silent No was born out of the multitude of desperate writers who can't take NO for an answer. Producers and reps are fed up with writers who think an emailed pass is an invitation to open a dialogue where they beg, plead, and threaten, not accepting that negative answer.

I've talked to producers who have regaled me with horror stories. With the thousands of writers now with scripts and most of them with no limits on how they react, the silent no came into being. You send one reminder after 3 weeks, if you hear nothing, move on.

It's the new normal.

I get the mentality on this, but respectfully disagree. As we both know, most of these guys are so ****ing busy that **** gets forgotten or lost in the shuffle. I'll follow-up every 3-5 weeks or so until I get a response (okay, maybe I'll stop around the 10th follow-up). Occasionally someone will say, "Please stop following up, I'll let you know when I've read." Which is fine by me. Often they simply never respond. But, you know what happens a lot? They'll ask me to re-send. You'd think they could just scroll-up in the e-mail, chain, but sometimes things get lost in the shuffle. Some even thank me for staying on them. And a couple of those instances led to meetings, and more than one to paid work. So I do think it pays off to be diligent, so long as you're polite about it and just checking in every month or so (rather than every week). Just my experience.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #15
Bono

Even my own reps don't always respond to my emails and often have gotten mad for sending too many. They are all so busy and until you make them money, they aren't really always there for you like we hope they would be. Got to email them for specific purpose.

I emailed my new rep so much less than the old ones -- i learned and still he said I should email him less (on the phone). In a nice way, but that's the way it is.

So I'm just saying -- if reps barely have time for their current clients -- how much time do they have to respond to non clients?

And I've had people pass on my work and be super cool about it -- didn't help my career though, so it's still a "No".
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #16
Satriales
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Even my own reps don't always respond to my emails and often have gotten mad for sending too many. They are all so busy and until you make them money, they aren't really always there for you like we hope they would be. Got to email them for specific purpose.

I emailed my new rep so much less than the old ones -- i learned and still he said I should email him less (on the phone). In a nice way, but that's the way it is.

So I'm just saying -- if reps barely have time for their current clients -- how much time do they have to respond to non clients?

And I've had people pass on my work and be super cool about it -- didn't help my career though, so it's still a "No".
If my rep didn’t respond to an email or got pissed for sending too many...I’d end that relationship rather quickly.

I do remember you have a few good manager stories. 😆
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #17
Bono

I would agree if it didn't happen to me and my writing partner with a few reps. It's all just me trying to give the reality of being an unsold writer with a rep.

Point is -- what SHOULD BE doesn't line up with WHAT IS. I don't know a writer who doesn't have plenty of these shitty stories. If you want to be treated with respect all the time -- oh I can't think of any business. They all suck! Life sucks!

Did I cheer everyone up???
Old 06-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #18
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
If my rep didn’t respond to an email or got pissed for sending too many...I’d end that relationship rather quickly.

I do remember you have a few good manager stories. 😆
Who is working for who, right?
Old 06-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #19
NoNeckJoe
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuRises View Post
I'll follow-up every 3-5 weeks or so until I get a response (okay, maybe I'll stop around the 10th follow-up).

Have you really followed up with people 10 times, or even close to that number?
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #20
Bono

It's crazy right? I say don't follow up at all as my results have been 1% good news and it wasn't paid good news... he claims he got paid work and I was going to joke "does he mean they paid him 10 bucks to stop emailing?"