Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #21
Friday

Default Re: Imagine Impact X Netflix

Sure, they are seeing if they can work with you based on the video....but it is asking for you to answer a question. I am sure some writers have looked at the question and wasn't quite clear what they are looking for in the video. Maybe, as more writers apply to this, they'll give further clarification on what they're looking for. The original impact program seemed to have a more precise question to answer for the 30 second video.

I just wonder if the winner of this will have an ongoing relationship with Netflix. That's kind of the appeal of programs like this. What the writer really wants is to build something with some producers and execs.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #22
Friday

Maybe people here who have actual experience applying to the previous Impact programs will have more 2 cents to chime in on this about the dos and don'ts of making that 30 second video. Personally, I'd rather meet someone in person so I can gauge their reactions. I haven't tried it yet, so not sure how hard it is to boil down everything to under 30 seconds.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #23
Bono

Can you post what the application says for video?

My gut says it's open ended and the whole idea is to show yourself and creativity. Like any reality show audition tape would be.

Like every TikTok video.

If I was you I'd hold up the first page of my script and a puppet of myself reading it and laughing like an idiot. "Man this movie is so good...."
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #24
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
What is the value in getting a movie made? I'd be a whole lot more interested if my name was on the finished movie vs the amount of money I got.

My first impression is it was like Project Greenlight -- not designed to get the writer rich -- but to give them a career. It works out well for the writers of FEAST who are top horror writers now.
I have no issue with what you said and if this was always the case with Impact, as it was PR, then fair enough. My issue is that Impact have massively scaled-back from when they launched this program. At least PR and (I think, the original Amazon program) were looking for low-budget concepts, making the pay more acceptable, but Impact want to go even bigger so they're not just drastically cutting what's on the table but they want more in return.

What rankles more than the money is the cutting you out of the process aspect, especially building relationships. That's just pure shitty behaviour to cut writers out of a process they were previously involved you in - and a total lack of respect to writers (who are hardly vaunted, anyway!) Even if this was always the way, it's still shitty as it shows how they don't see writers as deserving even a smidgen of respect and involvement. It's just 'write it and that's it, done, you will not involved thereafter, you can't see or speak anyone, you can only sell to these guys and for this price, and you've nothing to do with the project'. We all bitch and moan about the lack of kudos from the industry and bending over and accepting treatment like this is why we continually get shafted.

Quote:
I need a pro to answer that question -- but sadly we chased most of them away. I'm just saying...
What? I thought they just drifted away like everyone else?

Last edited by SundownInRetreat : 06-22-2020 at 11:19 AM.
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #25
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
The script will have to speak for itself anyway. And Impact would know what things to emphasize.

Who in their right mind would want to risk the contained germy air of a plane ride to travel there just for a pitch?
Don't you see that this has nothing to do with the way writers are being treated (and downgraded)?
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #26
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
With all the upheaval of these times, I think the video is just reassurance that you don't have a Nazi tattoo on your forehead or are flashing a white power sign. Do you look like an everyday, normal writer? Or are you posing with a AR-15 while wearing a confederate flag T-shirt and swigging a beer?

My introvert self sees this as a huge win. The script will have to speak for itself anyway. And Impact would know what things to emphasize.
I hear you about being nervous about public speaking and being an introvert, but they aren't your representatives, they are there to try to sell as many properties as they can to Netflix. Netflix is their client. As a writer, you do need to be able to go into a room and represent yourself. Even if it's virtually. I hate the idea too and will probably throw up on them, pass out, or talk endlessly.
Quote:
And don't you think this is because of the pandemic, anyway? Social distancing. Who in their right mind would want to risk the contained germy air of a plane ride to travel there just for a pitch?
No, I don't.

I think, and I don't know of course, they're going in and they're pitching all of the properties at once, or a few at a time, to see what Netflix is interested in.

You don't have to be there in person to represent yourself, you can be present on a Zoom, facetime, or other visual call.

If you are able to build a report, and relationship, with a buyer that gives you an advantage over another writer who does not have that same relationship. You'll be the one they call to do a rewrite, or develop a new project over someone they've never met.

It's the way business is done. This is a relationship industry.

Bono:
Sorry, I didn't see your follow up post as I had stepped away and then finished my post. So, yeah, I think we are generally on the same page.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #27
Bono

Most writers (like me) are writers because they don't want to be in meetings at an office talking to co-workers as it makes them nervous. So being nervous is in a room is the norm. Some writers have 100% confidence and that's why a lot of them get work. It's not just talent. But don't worry, I'm good with people in real life -- but bad in the room for actual pitch. If it's just me talking and making jokes can go for 4 hours. But haven't to give a book report, I'll fail every time. I also never understood why being a writer required you also be a great actor. That's why I prefer specs to pitches. Judge me on what I do best -- not me selling the thing i haven't written yet. I find that a really ass backwards way of doing it.

To me a pitch should be 5 minutes but pros tell me it's much longer than that. Sounds terrible to me to be honest. The part of the business I dislike the most. But sadly it is part of it.

I guess I'll just take more Xanax and go for it. But it is what I miss most about my writing partner. Total confidence in a room. Outside the room -- that was annoying.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #28
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
Don't you see that this has nothing to do with the way writers are being treated (and downgraded)?
Honestly, I don't even care anymore.

BUT you cannot ignore the fact that in the US we've got over 119 THOUSAND people dead from the pandemic. And counting. Ain't nobody gonna fly across country and mingle jam-packed in with other writers from other countries and all over the US right now. Nor should they.

It would seem to me -- and I could be wrong -- that they are doing this in place of another "regular" Impact because of the coronavirus.

Not liking the terms of the contract, or thinking you should be entitled to more money, is one thing. Thinking that Imagine is holding a gleeful position in the downfall of writers is overwrought.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #29
TigerFang

Quote:
Can you post what the application says for video?

My gut says it's open ended and the whole idea is to show yourself and creativity. Like any reality show audition tape would be.

Like every TikTok video.

If I was you I'd hold up the first page of my script and a puppet of myself reading it and laughing like an idiot. "Man this movie is so good...."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
They request the 30-second video under their “Sample & Video” section. There, you upload “a completed pilot or feature screenplay that best represents your ability to execute the project you’re submitting.” It “can be a draft of the project you’re submitting but it does not need to be.” In other words, the sample is supposed to show how you could pull off the pitch idea you’re making; that is, they don’t expect you to have a feature screenplay or pilot script of the project idea you’re submitting to them in the application. The sample and the pitch idea are two different birds they are getting with one stone.

The video request in the “Sample & Video” section seems to ask you to describe the sample you’re sending in, not to describe your pitch idea in the video. They are clear that they’re asking for a sample script (TV or feature), the Title of that project, the logline for that project, and then a 30-second video of why that (sample project/script) “world and story need to be made into a movie.” If that’s not the case, then they need to be more clear here that the 30-second video is about the pitch project and not the sample.

For example: Later, at the bottom of the form under “PROGRAM GUIDELINES” in the “How To Apply” section, a more general set of instructions says:

“The application consists of questions regarding you and your project, along with areas for you to upload:

A 30-second video of you explaining your creative approach and why you should be selected

(this seems radically different from what is asked for in the “Sample & Video” section; perhaps write to them and ask to be sure you give them, and they get, what they need in the video)

A sample full-length screenplay or teleplay that showcases your writing ability

A link to a previously produced work of yours (if applicable)”

If you enter into this agreement with them, do so in good faith with them. Keep your end of the bargain and they will keep theirs. After all, it’s a chance to get major league eyes on your work, and that doesn’t come along every day.
Bono: all of the above.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #30
Bono

I meant more this -- https://www.imagine-impact.com/netflix-faq I was being lazy. I wanted to see the actual words...

A 30-second video of you pitching yourself and your project

Yes. The aim of the video is for you pitch yourself and your project in :30 seconds or less. It as akin to an "elevator pitch" and is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your voice as a writer and ability to communicate your ideas. The best of writers are not only concise and compelling in their written work, but their voice and writing skills translate translates to their ability to convey themselves and their idea verbally, as well.

I see that and it seems pretty clear to me. Did I miss something? What is the confusion then?

This prompt is aimed at finding big, fun, and family-friendly action and adventure movies such as National Treasure, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Night at the Museum.

Who isn't looking for blockbusters? Hilarious. First movie i think was original, but other 2 movies based on IP so even funnier they use those as examples.

You think they'd say The Goonies. Whatever.

Also "prompt" annoys me. That's all. Carry on.