Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Note about Notes

Reading a post about getting notes and this came to me -- it's funny how 99% of the notes a screenwriter will get are from people who have and never will sell a screenplay. Or any writing of their own.

So even insiders who may be great at notes and have taste like producers and reps -- can't do the job that WE CAN DO. They can help us do our job, but they can't DO THE JOB WITHOUT US. Think about that next time you get a good or bad set of notes. From consultants or managers or someone on this board...

Especially if you have had success yourself (gone wide with a script, sold one!, been repped, won a big contest) think about how special that is. How few people can do that well.

I love feedback from all sources. Sometimes my friend who isn't a writer gives much better notes than my pro friends. You never know....I'll take it from anyone that wants to help.

But I learned that you reach a point where you mostly have to trust your gut and instincts when you finally find your voice and learn enough. So I take notes, use them, but KNOWING WHAT TO USE is part of being a great screenwriter.

Re: A Note about Notes

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Reading a post about getting notes and this came to me -- it's funny how 99% of the notes a screenwriter will get are from people who have and never will sell a screenplay. Or any writing of their own.

So even insiders who may be great at notes and have taste like producers and reps -- can't do the job that WE CAN DO. They can help us do our job, but they can't DO THE JOB WITHOUT US. Think about that next time you get a good or bad set of notes. From consultants or managers or someone on this board...

Especially if you have had success yourself (gone wide with a script, sold one!, been repped, won a big contest) think about how special that is. How few people can do that well.

I love feedback from all sources. Sometimes my friend who isn't a writer gives much better notes than my pro friends. You never know....I'll take it from anyone that wants to help.

But I learned that you reach a point where you mostly have to trust your gut and instincts when you finally find your voice and learn enough. So I take notes, use them, but KNOWING WHAT TO USE is part of being a great screenwriter.
    1,000,000% agree...

Reminds me of the time an agent was at my party (not my ex, LOL) and said to me "I could be a screenwriter if I wanted to. I just don't have the patience to sit there." Ummmmmmm... WHAT??? Dude, you mean the talent? Fukk you talking about?

He's like "Yeah, me and my buddy are thinking of writing something. We have a great idea for a comedy."

DUDE... BRUH... do you even fukking realize how fukkin amateur you sound right now? How is an agent saying this sh!t to me? "Continue please... I'm drunk and feel like listening to bullsh!t."

"So, yeah, like, we have some funny jokes. It'll all come together."

Okay... Lemme stop you right there. Listen, it's WAAAAAAAY fukkin harder than you think. You've never written ANYTHING. All those scripts you passed on are FAR better than what you and your bro's script will be. PROMISE! We make it look easy. It's not. Have some fukkin respect for what your clients do! You know what, GO WRITE IT... then lemme give you notes. You'll cry. Swear! I'll shred you.

"Here... do your shot then shut the fukk up... you sound stupid, bruh!"

(REAL CONVO)
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post

Okay... Lemme stop you right there. Listen, it's WAAAAAAAY fukkin harder than you think. You've never written ANYTHING. All those scripts you passed on are FAR better than what you and your bro's script will be. PROMISE! We make it look easy. It's not. Have some fukkin respect for what your clients do! You know what, GO WRITE IT... then lemme give you notes. You'll cry. Swear! I'll shred you.

"Here... do your shot then shut the fukk up... you sound stupid, bruh!"

(REAL CONVO)

That's right, bruh. I've actually come across some spec scripts that high profile consultants were sending around town (that they were trying their hand as writers)....and I was a little surprised that they weren't employing the stuff they preach. It's like fans in the stands seem to know how to criticize those on the court, how they would have done it. A lot harder when you're down there doing it game speed, bruh. Sorry, Gucci, I'm being influenced by you.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
        That's right, bruh. I've actually come across some spec scripts that high profile consultants were sending around town (that they were trying their hand as writers)....and I was a little surprised that they weren't employing the stuff they preach. It's like fans in the stands seem to know how to criticize those on the court, how they would have done it. A lot harder when you're down there doing it game speed, bruh. Sorry, Gucci, I'm being influenced by you.
        Ha! Glad I can be a bad influence, bruh! I'm the bad uncle who gets all the kids to cuss ("Don't tell your mom I told you 'bout this sh!t, we good bruh?" Nieces all nod together.) LOL

But, yeah, agreed. DUDE... WHAT??? I couldn't help it, had to scold an agent for saying dumb sh!t.

Yup... it's one thing to WATCH Lebron (or whomever) and be impressed, but to BE him? To DO that? Dude, he will CRUSH the FUKK outta you on the court! Not that I'm that level, but you get what I mean. Actually, fukk that, I take that comment back. An agent is reading the Lebrons' of the screenwriting world and actually believes he could do it.

I seriously fukkin laughed when he said that.

To any reps out there reading this. Bruh, write a better script than me. Dare you. You can't. Ha! Even though I'm a loser, you can't top me. Nor most of the people on this forum. That's how fukkin HARD this sh!t is.

Swear, everyone in this industry should have the prerequisite that you HAVE to have written at least one script and gotten notes. Then they'd all GET IT.

Sh!t note giving is easy, I can always spot flaws in other people's work WAY faster than I can spot flaws in my own. They don't get the *BLINDSPOT* aspect. They think "Meh.. I would have caught that while writing it." Dude... no. Not how it works. Don't believe me? Try it. Lemme read it.

Here's who I trust the most: RAD WRITERS! Could be a friend or a huge screenwriter. I know when I'm reading someone who fukkin kills it on the page. BECAUSE I'M FUKKIN JEALOUS! And then I wanna give up. That, or steal their lines. HA! Because HOW the frikk does someone do that? WTF??? Agents are fukkin spoiled. They act like it's hard to read a script and go "Yup... this person is SUPER FUKKING TALENTED!" Ha! Idiots...

I wanna read Franklin's script. Bet my notes ain't good. *wink* I only found out last week-ish that he even had a script. Wonder if he hired ghost writers. LOL. Regardless, I bet I hate it, bruh!

Comment

As a person who has had cancer (wait for gofund me account to be set up) I think about this stuff with doctors. I'm like "Have you had chemo? Then shut the F up about how the books say you should feel..."

So just know, only other writers understand your pain.

Taking notes well is one thing.
          Giving good notes is another thing.

Thinking because you're good at giving notes means you would be good at writing a movie is probably why half the producers try to rewrite scripts and ruin them.

Let's face it -- 90% of people in the film industry are frustrated artists not doing the job they want to do themselves.

Comment

Thinking because you're good at giving notes means you would be good at writing a movie is probably why half the producers try to rewrite scripts and ruin them.

Let's face it -- 90% of people in the film industry are frustrated artists not doing the job they want to do themselves.
            First off: Sorry you had to go through that, bruh! The C-word. Hope you've been cleared!

But, yeah, exactly that. Writing vs giving your OPINION on writing? Ummmmm.... bro, totally not related. PROMISE!

Ps (RANDOM)... WTF? Am I about to make an option deal via Twitter? I can't tell if he's serious or not. Hmmmm. Guess I'll see. (please don't use names if you follow me).

Comment

As a person who has had cancer (wait for gofund me account to be set up) I think about this stuff with doctors. I'm like "Have you had chemo? Then shut the F up about how the books say you should feel..."
              You got that right. Chemo is easy to talk about. It's a lot harder to endure. People have no idea. My first chemo session, they sent a guy in a Hazmat Suit to take it out of my bladder. A HAZMAT SUIT. I looked at him and said... "Are you kidding me? What is this?" as I'm laying there naked... He smiled through the helmet and said, "Too late for you."

As for notes... What I try to do when I give them is to look what the writer is trying to do... What their intention and viewpoint is and give my notes accordingly. Not give them, "This is how I'D do it." notes.

That's what I look for too. I have a bunch of great writers I trade scripts and notes with... Been very fortunate...

Comment

now i feel like Hooper with a thresher shark scar . . . stage IIA (no lymph nodes involved) meant I got off with just 6-months of Xeloda at home, the Bud Lite of chemo. the two surgeries between that though . . .

Comment

"Too late for you." Wow man. Don't say sh!t like that to people.

Glad everyone pulled through...

No C-word for me, but had my intestines explode. 2 surgeries. One of them emergency. 1 year recovery. Now I know what a level 10 pain is, it's when you drop to your knees, black out and they shoot you with dilaudid (that sh!t is FUN!... don't leave me in a room alone with that crap. Stuff will disappear.)

One of my best friends did chemo 6 months ago. Then my brother caught that bullsh!t and is going through it right now. #FUKKCANCER!

Oh, and funny (to me) story. My nurse (male) while in the hospital knew I was a writer. He pitched me an idea while I was high as fukk on dilaudid and oxy. It was a story of... YUP!... a nurse who murders his patients in their sleep. Fukkin swear to god, that was his BIG idea. Ha! Dude "NEW NURSE PLEASE!"

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                    now i feel like Hooper with a thresher shark scar . . . stage IIA (no lymph nodes involved) meant I got off with just 6-months of Xeloda at home, the Bud Lite of chemo. the two surgeries between that though . . .
                    Ow. Glad you're ok....

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                      "Too late for you." Wow man. Don't say sh!t like that to people.

Glad everyone pulled through...

No C-word for me, but had my intestines explode. 2 surgeries. One of them emergency. 1 year recovery. Now I know what a level 10 pain is, it's when you drop to your knees, black out and they shoot you with dilaudid (that sh!t is FUN!... don't leave me in a room alone with that crap. Stuff will disappear.)

One of my best friends did chemo 6 months ago. Then my brother caught that bullsh!t and is going through it right now. #FUKKCANCER!

Oh, and funny (to me) story. My nurse (male) while in the hospital knew I was a writer. He pitched me an idea while I was high as fukk on dilaudid and oxy. It was a story of... YUP!... a nurse who murders his patients in their sleep. Fukkin swear to god, that was his BIG idea. Ha! Dude "NEW NURSE PLEASE!"
                      Damn... I love that story and am stealing at some point in my career. Just to let you know.... Glad you're ok, too.

Comment

Gucci trying to raise his bet vs my cancer hand... dude I got 2 cancers in the family and add exploding intestines and a nurse that tried to kill me... CALL

Medical stuff is the best source of humor.

My worst fear was my last words would be taken the wrong way and I'm wheeling done the hall after they give me a cup of happy juice to calm me down and I make a joke to the doctors and nurses (all in same color scrubs) "How embarrassing, you're all wearing the same thing."

Instead of laughing, they go "Yup the medicine is working." And I was so mad because I said that to be funny not because I was high as a kite. But after that I was so high I couldn't correct them... So I went from being scared of dying in surgery to scared that I'll die and my last moment on Earth was a joke that failed. How about a courtesy laugh dicks!

Gucci -- that is a great nurse story. There are some creepy mother******s. Always.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                          Damn... I love that story and am stealing at some point in my career. Just to let you know.... Glad you're ok, too.
                          Ha! Please do... in hindsight it was the most hilarious thing he could'a pitched me.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Comment

Gucci trying to raise his bet vs my cancer hand... dude I got 2 cancers in the family and add exploding intestines and a nurse that tried to kill me... CALL
                            Ha! Nah... just saying I get what it's like to face your morality. And that cancer sh!t seems to be going around hardcore.

My worst fear was my last words would be taken the wrong way and I'm wheeling done the hall after they give me a cup of happy juice to calm me down and I make a joke to the doctors and nurses (all in same color scrubs) "How embarrassing, you're all wearing the same thing."
                            Ha! They would'a laughed then said "Whatever... you'll be dead tomorrow smart-azz." Medical people have a sick sense of humor. My lady is one of them

Instead of laughing, they go "Yup the medicine is working." And I was so mad because I said that to be funny not because I was high as a kite. But after that I was so high I couldn't correct them... So I went from being scared of dying in surgery to scared that I'll die and my last moment on Earth was a joke that failed. How about a courtesy laugh dicks!
                            Ha! That would be a sh!tty way to bounce... "Yeah, we have some notes on your joke." I can rewrite it! Nope! DEAD! LOL

Gucci -- that is a great nurse story. There are some creepy mother******s. Always.
                            Def. Dude was super creepy. Pitch me your 'nurse kills patients' story with a smile not dead eyes, bruh! At least that way I know you have a sense of humor.

Comment

Maybe we all died. I don't know why I'm still fat in heaven.

Comment

Working...
                              X