Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Writer for Hire Contract

Hi all... great board. I'm a newbie to the community here, though I've been writing for a while, all in features. I've got a shot at writing a half-hour sitcom pilot based on an indie producer's idea.

My question: does anyone have a standard writer-for-hire contract for this sort of work? Is there such a thing as a "standard" agreement for pilot writing?

We're not talking millions, but I'd like to have things spelled out for everyone concerned so there are no surprises as to what is to be delivered at what price, within what time-frame.

Thanks for any help.

Sheesh

Re: TV Writer for Hire Contract

Welcome to the board, S. Lawrence.

Your best bet is to contact the WGA (E or W depending on where you live) and ask them about this. I'd call them to get a faster response.

You can also scour the WGA West main site because it has sample contracts (I can't remember where, exactly) that are freely available for download, too.

If all else fails, contact an entertainment attorney and he / she should also be able to help you with this particular negotiation.

Best of luck
    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

P.S. -

Before someone states the obvious...

Your indie producer / company isn't going to be a WGA signatory, most likely so, rates won't apply.

However, it's more the peace of mind you seem to be looking for and using a WGA contract as a template is why I recommended you contact the WGA.

Also...

The WGA is developing a Low Budget Minimum Agreement for writers working in the low budget end of the arena (the LBMA, or LBA), so be sure to inquire about this, too.

I don't know if it is fully developed, but in this economy and ever-changing business model, the WGA feels it is becoming more and more a reality for writers to be working with lower budgeted entities and they need protection at this level, too.
      Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Your relationship with the producer needs to be spelled out, but moreso it's what you expect when you sell to a network/studio that is what's at stake. What would be your role and expectations then? That's what you're really asking for, I would think.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone. I'll check with the WGA and be mindful of what happens if/when it sells to network/cable channel.

Thanks!
          Sheesh

Comment

Working...
          X