X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Originally posted by Chief View Post
    The newcomer had some final positive words about Carson's future. Of course they had to close it.
    I hope that's a joke, because if you really believe that's the case...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
      If you have any account supported by Disqus, your comment goes up straightaway.
      Mine don't.... anymore.

Comment

The newcomer had some final positive words about Carson's future. Of course they had to close it.

#DDPConspiracy

I agree with Howie428 there is a pack mentality on DDP, but as is the case with SS, people are in denial.
        It's nowhere near as bad as SS. And usually something is done to spark the wolf packs whiff of blood. And even then, there are voices for both sides.

That's the problem. The pack majority on SS ..... IS WRONG!

It's amazing. It would be like someone owning a website for pirate streams and then a director/writer enters trying to explain how it effects livelihood.

Don't you find it astounding that there's a whole community on SS and none of them can accept that what they're doing hinders the very profession they're striving to be part of. IT's astounding!

And if you try and voice those concerns, you get hounded out and shouted over by the louder voices. It's pack mentality bordering on cultism.

Here, you do something wrong... the wolves swarm. But the difference is, most of the time you did something wrong to set that chain in motion. DD'ers aren't the type of people to attack from nowhere.

On SS that's not the case. There, a dissenting voice gets pounced on simply for having a contradictory viewpoint. But then how could you expect anything less than Nazi tactics from a website that abbreviates itself to SS.

Badoom-tsh!

Comment

Originally posted by karlosd View Post
          Mine don't.... anymore.
          Really? Well, I guess that's telling. I didn't have any hopes about Carson and, yet, I'm disappointed.

Comment

#DDPConspiracy

I agree with Howie428 there is a pack mentality on DDP, but as is the case with SS, people are in denial.
            If we look at this honestly, one site has pros dropping in to give advice and a whole subforum filled with their notes on pages.
            The other has people who think that these same pros want to keep newcomers out.

You're a Scriptshadow fan, fine, but there are legitimate complaints against his behavior and that's what people have been bringing up.
            what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

I hope that's a joke, because if you really believe that's the case...
              I thought the hashtag would give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
                If we look at this honestly, one site has pros dropping in to give advice and a whole subforum filled with their notes on pages.
                The other has people who think that these same pros want to keep newcomers out.

You're a Scriptshadow fan, fine, but there are legitimate complaints against his behavior and that's what people have been bringing up.
                I'm a friend of Carson. I wouldn't describe myself as a 'fan'.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                  It's amazing. It would be like someone owning a website for pirate streams and then a director/writer enters trying to explain how it effects livelihood.

Don't you find it astounding that there's a whole community on SS and none of them can accept that what they're doing hinders the very profession they're striving to be part of. IT's astounding!
                  I'm still not convinced that the distribution and review at Scriptshadow of screenplays that just sold or are in development is damaging to the project or the writers. I can't believe anybody that matters cares about his opinion or influence.

I just don't see it.

Comment

I thought the hashtag would give it away.
                    It was worth double-checking, just in case.

Comment

I'm still not convinced that the distribution and review at Scriptshadow of screenplays that just sold or are in development is damaging to the project or the writers. I can't believe anybody that matters cares about his opinion or influence.

I just don't see it.
                      Scriptshadow has become a big name. So I might see how his reviews are damaging.

I don't believe him sharing scripts affects the writers.

Tracking Board does the exact same thing! Difference is they charge you money for it.

Comment

I don't believe him sharing scripts affects the writers.

Tracking Board does the exact same thing! Difference is they charge you money for it.
                        Is it possible that both are acting in an unethical manner?
                        Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Sharing scripts? That happens. Reviewing scripts? Awful.
                          Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Actually, that's not true. If you have any account supported by Disqus, your comment goes up straightaway. I've seen plenty of critics in the comments section (back in the day when I would read Scriptshadow from time to time, although mostly I just went there for the script links).
                            My comment two days ago was not approved. He approved comments that made his detractors sound like angry lunatics, but not mine, which I carefully crafted to be polite and logical - more expressive of my disappointment than anything else.

Later, after we had a conversation about this situation, he offered to let me repost it. But honestly, I don't think it matters. He's made up his mind, as have so many of his followers. No matter the reasons, he is doing what many of us have asked - changing his site to focus more on amateur material. I think that's the best we're going to get.
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I just don't see it.
                              It is (or does?).

But maybe you don't think that studios take notice of the smaller people. They've got better things to do right? LIMAMA may have something to say about that.

Studios care. Because this game has become so much about fine numbers, that the smallest thing can be the difference between B.O. #1 and #2.

Look at it this way (and this is purely a hypothetical exercise).

Scriptshadow Twitter has 12,000 followers rounded up.

Carson pans a script for a movie months before release on twitter. From a review that was an early troubled draft.

Everyone on twitter collectively decides not to go spend their $10-

Movie opens $120,000 down. Where the point 1's can be the difference between #1 and #2 at opening weekend.

Now of course, this is not how the industry works and no way would that many galvanize, but it's a way of illustrating how the little man can make a big noise. And studios will do anything to ensure that #1 placing. Hollywood is strewn with stories of seriously underhand tactics to that end.

So now Scriptshadow is on the radar for studios. And they begin to panic because not only can they not stop in-production scripts leaking out, but now there's an ACTUAL forum where they're discussed in public.

Who are first to suffer?

The writers. Because if a studio can't control the product, it'll control the ones handling it. Writers will be forced to only write on the lot and on company sanctioned and secured property. No more trips to the coffee shop. You'll be tied up in wavers and contracts. That sound far fetched? This is a multi-billion dollar industry. If they can't control the distribution of scripts, they'll lock down everything so that those scripts never see the light of day.

The last thing Hollywood needs is MORE paperwork.

Next, the writer takes a second hit. Because bad publicity on an in-production project effects the relationship between studio and writer. And the last thing the studio wants to admit is an intern their end leaked the script. So they'll look to all sources away from their own doorstep. That includes the writer.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Comment

With SS now announcing that he will refrain considerably from reviewing new specs, I think what's been missing is thanks to those who have been most vocally calling for this change, excuse me if I leave off anyone: John Gary, bitter script reader, Michael botti, Brian scully, Emily Blake and more. This benefits all screenwriters, even if they can't see it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X