Interesting tidbit about my Blacklist experience...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting tidbit about my Blacklist experience...

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
    Most likely, it is currently getting passed around or up their company for others' opinions. And that is often a long, drawn out process. But they did want to let you know it was liked... Not all folks in the industry are rude, self-centered narcissists...
    Good point, Dango. It does take a while for scripts to get passed around. Didn't even think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
      Ready for what? So few of the 8's result in anything. That being said, I'd say it's more of an indicator of good writing, rather than your script being ready to produce.
      Ready to submit/query. An 8 says that you managed to get the reader to connect with your script and that the writing is solid. So maybe the right exec/manager/agent will connect with it too once you send it out?

It just gives you that little bit of extra confidence in the material I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by omovie View Post
        I wonder about this too. Last week I received two industry pro ratings - one an 8 and the other a 9. But neither reached out. I would think that if you thought the script was a 9, you would at least say 'Hey, I liked your script.' But no. They just wanted to rate a script. Why?
        Also realize "industry pros" is a somewhat misleading statement. I know writers with no produced credits or sales who have "industry pro" accounts. Assistants have these accounts. There are people who got these accounts while they had jobs, but may now be unemployed...

So it could very well just be someone with access to read who liked the script and so gave a rating, but has no real means to advance it and therefore no motivation to contact the writer, but they decided to drop a rating. Much like anyone with an IMDB account can do for a movie there.

Comment

I had an interested evaluation:

My reader gave my script a low budget and called it a 'contained thriller'

It's a scifi action thriller with a massive ship crashing sequence, zero g scenes, etc and while I'd say 70% of it takes place on a spaceship, there are plenty of locations on the ship. The Screenplay Mechanic's main note on my project was the high budget would likely make it dead in the water for a new screenwriter like myself with no credits.

I'm torn, the review was good, and I think the low budget my get more people to look at it, but it's also deceptive because I don't want an industry pro to read it and then be like , "Why the f*ck is this presented as Low Budget?" To be clear I've tagged it myself as high budget, > 40 MM, though I don't know much about these things. Anyways, I ordered 2 more evals so I guess I'll see what comes through

Comment

Had a generally really positive review back a couple of days ago that was a 7, with the main weakness stated being the ending.

To cut a long story short, the reader then proceeded to say my ending wasn't that great and that I should consider a suggestion of his. What they didn't appear to realise is that their suggested ending was actually exactly what I'd done, it seems they completely missed the subtext, which had been clear to everyone else who had read it. No idea how they didn't realise looking back on it when writing their feedback. Get the impression that misunderstanding came between me and a higher mark.

I know this thread is regarding 8's and above not being the be all and end all, but they're gonna do more for you than a 7, surely? And the free evaluations would be nice 'n' all.

Comment

I've felt the whole time blacklist is just another contest (very expensive one it seems too) that has the same success rate as any other contest just with better prizes like actually representation. Nothing less, nothing more.

Does it matter if your script got all 10s or 1s... wouldn't you rather get all 5s and someone wants to sign you? Focus on results not ratings is my point.

I haven't used the service...

Comment

Originally posted by wsaunders View Post
                I had an interested evaluation:

My reader gave my script a low budget and called it a 'contained thriller'

It's a scifi action thriller with a massive ship crashing sequence, zero g scenes, etc and while I'd say 70% of it takes place on a spaceship, there are plenty of locations on the ship.
                Lucky. I keep getting "High Budget" for my contained thriller in which 95% of the scenes could be shot in an old rusty mine or an old rusty Navy vessel.

I have one scene where NY is destroyed by a Hurricane, but even using History Channel CGI, wouldn't be very expensive.

I bet the same readers would list Avatar's budget as $900 million. At least they said my premise was fantastic and the script was one draft away from sellable.
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Foxhound, there's a verrrry nice ditty from Frozen that you might want to check out

Comment

Working...
                  X