Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
figment

Default Nicholl 2019

Looks like they're opened for entries.

https://www.oscars.org/nicholl

Anybody in? May the wind be at your back.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
ClintW3
Regular

Default Re: Nicholl 2019

Always in.
You can't win if you don't play, as they say.

Good luck!
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
catcon

Sheesh, in the old days didn't something titled "Nicholl" usually generate epic threads equivalent to the BlackList tomes of 2012-13?

Anyway, through my own querying I had 9 different scripts being read this month. After all, I write 6 scripts per year for cryin' out loud, and since I retired all I do is write/polish/pitch. But I just received passes on 4 of them in the past few days, so maybe I'll try Nicholl again. It would be my first time since 2015 or 2016.

I've got so many I'd like to send, though. I know the strategy is to drop your "best" on them, but it's inevitable how our "best" gets all wrapped up in our internal political determinations.

And not that I have the moolah to submit their max 3 scripts, but I kind of wish they had a rule to let us resubmit things that didn't count against that limit. I've made major polishes to a couple of goodies that they saw in 2014, but I'm not going to resubmit them so as to take the place of a newer script ... ie. that perfectly political script that I'm convinced will sway them in today's environment.

Arrgh!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Friday

Probably because they only prefer certain types of scripts. Many writers have opted for the other contests where they have a much better shot with the type of scripts they write.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
Iceman
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Probably because they only prefer certain types of scripts. Many writers have opted for the other contests where they have a much better shot with the type of scripts they write.
What type of script does Nicholl prefer?
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Here’s part of what the Academy Nicholl Fellowship rules say about it the type of scripts it prefers:

“One copy of an original feature film screenplay uploaded as a PDF file. The feature screenplay should be in standard industry format (12 point Courier) and no shorter than 70 pages and no longer than 160 pages. Suggested page count is 80 to 125; scripts exceeding 125 pages may have their length counted against them. Submissions must have been written originally in English; translations will not be accepted. No multi-part scripts should be submitted unless each part can be read as a separate, stand-alone screenplay.

Submissions must be the original work of the entrant(s) and may not be based, in whole or in part, on any other fiction or nonfiction material, published or unpublished, produced or unproduced. Entries may, however, be adapted from the entrant’s (or entrants’) original work, which should be noted in the logline required on the application form. Entries lacking a logline on the application form will be disqualified.

If the script is based on a true story, historical or contemporary, the "based on true story/events" button should be selected within the online application form.

Collaborative work by two writers who share equally in its creation is eligible. Collaborative work for which one writer developed the idea and another writer wrote the screenplay is not eligible. Collaborative work by three or more writers is not eligible. The collaborator’s name must be added during the online application process. Writing partners selected as fellows will divide the fellowship stipend equally.

The entrant’s name, address, phone number or any other identifying information should not appear on the title page or any other page of the script. Placing a Library of Congress or WGA registration number on the title page is acceptable but not required.”

It sounds as though the only “type” of scripts the Academy Nicholl Fellowship wants are those that are original stories and that abide by their formatting requirements. It’s difficult to know precisely what “Friday” meant by the comment on thread post #4.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Like everyone else in the movie industry and in the audience, they just want a script with a good story well told.

Last edited by TigerFang : 03-06-2019 at 09:28 AM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote