Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
EJ Pennypacker

Default Re: Contest results (so far) enough to persuade a manager to read my script?

I wrote to all the managers that *I* wanted to work with. So it was targeted to a sense. I would say Page is noticeable, but it's not up there with Nics, or Austin (IMO).
EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
ScriptGal
Regular

Default Re: Contest results (so far) enough to persuade a manager to read my script?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky1288 View Post
You can mention placements in your query but I wouldn't do quotes -- these reps don't know the person who said that so it will likely mean nothing to them.

In the past I've used a very simple template for my queries:

Hi xxxxx,

My script ____________ is an action thriller about _____________________.

It was a finalist in X, Y, and Z.

I would love to send for your consideration.

--Ducky

Less is more. Be concise and to the point. They read hundreds of emails a day and don't want to look at your page long query with synopsis and background of your life and all that. Just pitch them the idea and give them a reason to request it.
Ducky is 100% correct - this is really all the information managers/reps want or need in a query letter. And this may seem obvious, but make sure the email is proofed and written in a consistent font - it's amazing how many people cut and paste and end up with 2-more different fonts.

Good luck!
http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!
ScriptGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
AE35-Unit
Regular

+1
AE35-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Concord
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptGal View Post
Ducky is 100% correct - this is really all the information managers/reps want or need in a query letter. And this may seem obvious, but make sure the email is proofed and written in a consistent font - it's amazing how many people cut and paste and end up with 2-more different fonts.

Good luck!
This is great information.

Would one mention the awards in the subject line, e.g., for Ducky's email, would the query be something like, "SCRIPT TITLE XXX, finalist at Austin, semis at Nicholl -- writer seeks manager"? Or keep the awards mention only in the body of the email?

Last edited by Concord : 09-11-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: clarified question
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:57 AM   #15
ducky1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord View Post
This is great information.

Would one mention the awards in the subject line, e.g., for Ducky's email, would the query be something like, "SCRIPT TITLE XXX, finalist at Austin, semis at Nicholl -- writer seeks manager"? Or keep the awards mention only in the body of the email?
Hard to say. Depends on the placing and contest and if that moves the needle enough for the rep to open it if they weren't going to before.

I know people who have but I don't know if it was requested because of the placement in the title or the logline or both. You could test it out and see.

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #16
EJ Pennypacker

I would add that the script is "currently..." in these contents and also delete "writer seeks manager" as it's obvious what is happening here...
EJ
Old 09-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #17
JKB
Regular

Hey Concord-

+1 on everything EJP and Ducky have said.

FWIW, I'm in a similar position to you. I have a script that's a Nicholl QF and PAGE Semifinalist. I'm querying now. My subject line is:

"TITLE (genre) - Nicholl Quarterfinalist"

That's based on Nicholl having more cachet than PAGE. I note both placements in the body of my e-mail and will upgrade if -- crossing fingers -- the script advances in PAGE.

Having said all that, my one request so far came on a query where I didn't mention the contest placement in my subject line (but did in the e-mail). So ... I don't think there's a magic bullet here. Good luck!
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #18
ScriptGal
Regular

I might combine some suggestions - Action/Comedy Script - Finalist at Austin, Semis at Nicholl. Not sure you need the title in the subject - It will lead your email.
http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!
ScriptGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
EJ Pennypacker

I have the feeling you can include the launch codes for nuclear weapons and some reps still wont read/open your email, so don't drive yourself nuts about the subject line. Querying is and will always be a complete shot in the dark.
EJ
Old 09-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #20
Concord
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKB View Post
Hey Concord-

+1 on everything EJP and Ducky have said.

FWIW, I'm in a similar position to you. I have a script that's a Nicholl QF and PAGE Semifinalist. I'm querying now. My subject line is:

"TITLE (genre) - Nicholl Quarterfinalist"

That's based on Nicholl having more cachet than PAGE. I note both placements in the body of my e-mail and will upgrade if -- crossing fingers -- the script advances in PAGE.

Having said all that, my one request so far came on a query where I didn't mention the contest placement in my subject line (but did in the e-mail). So ... I don't think there's a magic bullet here. Good luck!
Hi JKB,

I think you're right, there is no magic bullet. You need talent, luck, and persistence -- not in that order, necessarily -- when playing this game.

So no more trying to thread the needle for me. I'm sending out queries this afternoon. I wish I had a Nicholl placement to tout, too, but I missed the deadline. (Not that I automatically would have been a QF, of course.) But I'm hopeful about Page and one or two other contests that reveal their results pretty soon. Good luck to you, too -- and thanks for sharing your experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptGal View Post
I might combine some suggestions - Action/Comedy Script - Finalist at Austin, Semis at Nicholl. Not sure you need the title in the subject - It will lead your email.
That sounds good, Amanda. Brief and to the point. BTW, you critiqued my script a while ago and your notes were quite helpful in subsequent rewrites. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
I have the feeling you can include the launch codes for nuclear weapons and some reps still wont read/open your email, so don't drive yourself nuts about the subject line. Querying is and will always be a complete shot in the dark.
EJ
Ha! That wouldn't surprise me a bit, about the launch codes, I mean.

If I get any meaningful results from my queries, I'll share them in this thread.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote