Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #641
manfredlopez
User

Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

This is my first post here and am thrilled to finally being able to post (it took a while to get approval because registration was always closed at nighttime). I have been lurking for a while and have been very impressed with the people here and their willingness to help each other out.

Regarding the Black List site, I also recently uploaded a script to see how it all works. I have a feeling this time of year it will take a while longer to get a reader because it's contest season. Hopefully it won't be the 4 weeks some people are quoting.

Since I uploaded mine a few days ago, the site is telling me 4 people have clicked on the description page. I imagine it's other fellow writers. I know I have gone through a lot of other people's scripts to see what is up there.

Here is mine:

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/26610

BIO - IMDB
Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #642
nearmint
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilg View Post
Could that not just mean they read it after 7 days and reviewed it immediately after? The fact it was your lowest score could just be coincidence.
No, the status before it switched over to "evaluation in progress" was "reading finished".
Old 02-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #643
manfredlopez
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
No, the status before it switched over to "evaluation in progress" was "reading finished".
The readers have to check in at each single stage?? This sounds like an OCD-level of micro-management. This can only contribute to driving us OCD writers nuts. I think it might be healthier if we only know when the review is done.

BIO - IMDB
Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #644
Hernan Giaggio
User

I looked back through the thread, but I didn't see an answer to this. Say there's a pilot called Lewis and Clark that's highly rated, but I also have a pilot called Lewis and Clark that deals with the same setting but probably (hopefully) in a different way. Is this allowed? Should I just change the name but go ahead with the same subject matter or just scrap it for a bit?

Also, funny anecdote. I uploaded a script on March 10th, so it induces a tiny heart attack when I look at it until I realize that 3/10 is just the date and not my score.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #645
entlassen

Not a question, just more of an observation. Apparently an e-mail gets sent out every Monday to pros listing the previous week's scripts that got an overall score of 8, though an e-mail the previous Friday was sent out to pros listing scripts that got 8s in individual areas.

Why would someone want to read a script that happened to get an 8 in dialogue but lower scores in everything else, and only got a 5 overall? This doesn't seem particularly useful.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #646
BillG
Regular

Franklin, or anyone who knows, if you get a download request after you've taken your script off the site, does pressing "accept" allow you to talk to the requester first, or does the site store the deleted script somewhere and automatically send it to the requester?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:13 AM   #647
wsaunders
Regular

It would be cool if when you ordered a new evaluation for a script that has been revised since the last time it was evaluated if you could A) get reread by the same reader(probably for a nominal fee/extended wait time) and B) if you could maybe highlight what has changed about it since the last revision? Maybe if someone reads it and you got a low score for dialog, and you made a pass at refining it, they might focus on that a bit more in the next review?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #648
lbs101
User

Thumbs up Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsaunders View Post
It would be cool if when you ordered a new evaluation for a script that has been revised since the last time it was evaluated if you could A) get reread by the same reader(probably for a nominal fee/extended wait time) and B) if you could maybe highlight what has changed about it since the last revision? Maybe if someone reads it and you got a low score for dialog, and you made a pass at refining it, they might focus on that a bit more in the next review?

I'd happily pay double to have some of the prior BL readers whose notes / coverage / reviews were helpful take a second look at my script.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #649
FranklinLeonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by entlassen View Post
Not a question, just more of an observation. Apparently an e-mail gets sent out every Monday to pros listing the previous week's scripts that got an overall score of 8, though an e-mail the previous Friday was sent out to pros listing scripts that got 8s in individual areas.

Why would someone want to read a script that happened to get an 8 in dialogue but lower scores in everything else, and only got a 5 overall? This doesn't seem particularly useful.
Simply put, because they've indicated a specific interest in scripts by that description.

While the example you used it's necessary a likely one, it's easy to imagine why someone might be interested in comedies that had an 8 or better for concept, for example.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #650
TitanCreed
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by entlassen View Post

From a writerís point of view, there are two ways to look at it:

The first is that itís just another avenue for success. Thatís kind of the point of The Black List, Iíd imagine: to give certain kinds of writers and material new ways to stand out.

The other thing is that there really are some writers, even high level ones, who excel at certain aspects of writing, while failing at others. Thereís a reason why a second writer might be brought in to punch up a single aspect of a script.

Just through my own work, Iíd say that good dialogue is probably the rarest thing I see. After that, itís good descriptors (that donít then wind up overwritten). Careful plotting is the next one, though I do have an issue with people who think complex plots are naturally better.

Iíd be really interested to see how common it is on The Black List for there to be component score disparities. Iím also still curious if theyíve ever considered any other potential components.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com
Closed Thread