Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
castilleja32
Regular

Default Being starstruck?

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but there's no "miscellaneous neuroses and phobias" forum.

Does anyone else have a weird issue with being starstruck when you meet someone prominent and/or whose work you admire? Through a chance encounter I was invited to join a table with a well-known writer I've long admired, and I turned into a complete klutz. It's like my wiring gets messed up, I have no poise at all. Either I gush too much or get stiff and shy. I'm like Ethel Mertz meeting John Wayne in spite of myself.

Maybe it's partly because I grew up in a small community in the Midwest, where the only celebrity you might run into was a local sportscaster or the big-shot who owned a chain of hardware stores.

Did anyone else find they had to overcome this, through self-talk, staying centered, etc.? Or even some etiquette on how best to handle these types of encounters, which can also be serendipitous?
castilleja32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
ducky1288

Default Re: being starstruck?

I'll find out tomorrow and Saturday.

Tomorrow I have a meeting with an Emmy nominated director to discuss my show. I just found out today so haven't had time to freak.

Saturday I have a meeting with a TV actor who has a new POD and studio deal. My plan is just to treat them like a normal person or exec so I don't look or sound like an idiot. No idea if it's a good plan yet...

For what it's worth I grew up in a small town in the south so I get what you mean.

Also I do notice that business meetings with a well known person is different than a social setting so I get it. You just gotta try to be yourself.

Writer on a cable drama.

Last edited by ducky1288 : 08-07-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Typo
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
cvolante

I can say from experience it gets better.
The first time in your life you see someone who you have only seen on TV or in a movie, you're bound to feel or act a little weird.
But after a while, once you meet more people you realize they're basically just regular people.
Etiquette: If you encounter a famous person who's out living their life, you just leave them alone (they're regular people.) If you're at a film festival and they do a Q&A and then people go up after, that's ok. That's when they expect cheesy fans to come up. If the famous person calls you or you have a meeting or something and he/she tells you how much they love your script, that's the time to tell them how great they were in that show they're on, etc. Just don't overdo.

Last edited by cvolante : 08-08-2014 at 08:30 AM.
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
UpandComing

Whenever I meet someone prominent/whose work I admire, I definitely get starstruck. I tend to go up to them, gush about how much of a fan I am, and ask for a picture with them. They're usually so charmed by my effusiveness that they decide to forgo calling security and fulfill my request (thank you Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Rosario Dawson, and Tracy Morgan ).

In all those cases the celebs were either at industry functions or public forums interacting with fans. However, as a New Yorker I encounter prominent people just walking in the street all the time, in which case I just gawk and leave them alone (hey there Jake Gyllenhaal, Danny Devito, and Naomi Campbell).

P.S. Danny Devito and his wife Rhea P. are really short in real life; when I walked past them, I was like daaammmnnn....
Old 08-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
EdFury

Default Re: Being starstruck?

You get used to it and they are used to it. It's their life a lot of the time. It's important though to check fandom at the door if you're dealing with them on a professional level. Yes, of course, it's ok to tell them how much you enjoy their work, but then it's time to move on and realize that if you've been invited to join them, there's a reason for it and they think you belong there.

Listen. Don't talk too much. Listen and engage professionally. It will serve you well and tell them they didn't make a mistake having you there.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
grumpywriter

I'll never forget the time I ended up alone in a room with Denise Richards with a gigantic movie crew/set milling about outside, in a tiny town outside of Madrid, Spain, as Denise went through a script with me that I hadn't written but that she thought was "extremely wordy". This was years ago, just after Denise had appeared in the 007 movie. How I ended up in that room is another story altogether, but needless to say it was extremely weird and nerve-wracking. I think I got through it by pretending to be a professional (which I most certainly wasn't) and treating Denise like any other regular acting schlub just trying to do a good job and put out a good product.
grumpywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #7
dave22
Regular

My writing partner lucky enough to have lunch with an Oscar nominated writer/director that we have idolized for years. We spent the night before the meeting pacing around hoping he didn't turn out to be a jerk and to have the strength to not kiss his you know what.

He was not a jerk (nicest guy in the world) but we shared a good laugh when he told us about a meeting he had set up with a cream of the crop, top of the A-List star and he spent the whole night before the meeting walking around town praying for the strength to not kiss the star's you know what.

So I think it's fair to say that we all get star struck.
dave22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
Danigirl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave22 View Post
My writing partner lucky enough to have lunch with an Oscar nominated writer/director that we have idolized for years. We spent the night before the meeting pacing around hoping he didn't turn out to be a jerk and to have the strength to not kiss his you know what.

He was not a jerk (nicest guy in the world) but we shared a good laugh when he told us about a meeting he had set up with a cream of the crop, top of the A-List star and he spent the whole night before the meeting walking around town praying for the strength to not kiss the star's you know what.

So I think it's fair to say that we all get star struck.
Aw, cool story!

I think when you are at an event or a meeting, then that is an appropriate time to acknowledge their stellar performance and praise their work, but keep it short and sweet. Too much gushing and giving them "starry eyes" will make the talent uncomfortable.

It may take a few minutes to stop feeling weird, but tell yourself to get over it and focus on the business at hand.
Danigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 PM   #9
MrDealHD
User

Aren't we a little late to the party, Danigirl...
Old 08-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
artisone
Regular

I once met with one of the biggest showrunners in television for a gig. Everyone knows him. The way I kept from having a complete meltdown was to stick to talking about the work, what I've done, what he's done and the things of his I admired. I managed not to have a meltdown.
artisone is offline   Reply With Quote