I just poked 'ma belly (jiggle jiggle). Yep, it's real
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
shortfilmwriter
User

Default Re: Becoming a fake person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnequalProductions View Post
You don't think there are fake people outside of Hollywood?
There are absolutely fake people outside of Hollywood. I have no intent to leave the industry either. Re-read my post. I wasn't calling Hollywood fake. There are genuine people in the business, and I want to be one of them. I don't want to be the stereotype that also exists.

Quote:
People aren't looking you first as "what can this person do for me?"
Depends on who you're talking to. You can be out and about, stopping by any coffee shop, and wanting to just hang out and have a good time. Unfortunately, 80% of everyone you encounter wants to tell you about what they "do" and the dialogue always has the subtext of their internal dialogue that screams "what if you know someone?"

Quote:
You call this fake, but I say it's completely real. The people you are running into are focused on achieving the career they want. And you know what, they're the ones who are probably actually going to make it. This is an industry based on relationships. People are trying to make the relationships that matter.
This is where I disagree. I remember being in a group of industry-ish people at a bar. We were talking film, and then an exciting topic related to what I do was mentioned, and I reacted in an excited way mentioning how I was involved. Simply for the fact that I thought it was fun to talk about. Most of the people in that group were on the same page, but one of them went from having one ear in the conversation with the rest of their attention elsewhere to suddenly being interested. Eyes lit up, smile came to their face and they wanted to be my best friend (sorry, this sounds like horn tooting; please realize I at least aspire to not think too highly of myself). They suddenly sang my praises and flatteringly compared my looks to an actor I am never otherwise compared to. Later,this person liked things I posted on facebook, and commented on things in a rather schmoozy way. Had I never mentioned my involvement, this person would not have cared. They were only interested in what I could do for them.

To make this a little less pretentious, I want to acknowledge that this happens all over the place with people who hold "real" power.

This is not to say I think people should not be ambitious. Quite the contrary. Ambition though is exercised in your dedication to building your skillset. If it a conversation happens to result in work, then great, but that should not be your reason for talking to someone unless that context was implied from the beginning.

Quote:
If you want to have friends, join a book club in Des Moines.
I feel like you're trying to fight a battle against an enemy not present. I completely agree that if one does not like film, they should not be in the business. I am usually the one to say something similar. There are real, and there are exploitive people in film as there are everywhere. I am recognizing that I have become the kind of person I once observed as being inauthentic, and that I never wanted to become. I still want to be in the film industry, but I want to be a real person while doing so, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Last edited by shortfilmwriter : 10-27-2015 at 08:27 PM. Reason: sentence structure and missing words
shortfilmwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #13
Staircaseghost
Regular

I think you misspelled "adult person".
Staircaseghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
finalact4

If you don't want to be the person you're becoming, stop being that person.

I'm not being flippant, either. I work with people who are selfish, arrogant, negative, lazy, and down right mean as a snakes.

The fact of the matter is that you have to live in your essence. You have to know when you're not being true and make a course adjustment.

No one can do anything to help you accept offer advice. Consider the advice and chose a path and live in your essence.

You can't control other people. What they do or what they say.

Focus on what you can control-- your choices and your actions.

Live in the moment and most of all, be grateful-- there are people in the world who are starving to death and being murdered in civil wars.

This is something you can do-- take control of your life and the writing will follow.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #15
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfilmwriter View Post

There are genuine people in the business, and I want to be one of them. I don't want to be the stereotype that also exists.

I remember being in a group of industry-ish people at a bar. We were talking film, and then an exciting topic related to what I do was mentioned, and I reacted in an excited way mentioning how I was involved. Simply for the fact that I thought it was fun to talk about. Most of the people in that group were on the same page, but one of them went from having one ear in the conversation with the rest of their attention elsewhere to suddenly being interested.
You're focusing on ONE person that was phony instead of the MOST that were not.

In reality, that one person just did you a huge favor. They told you in concrete terms who they are. They are the person you don't want to work with or know.

Being able to see people for who they are is a good thing. IMO, that will do nothing but help you if you do achieve success of any kind -- to be able to ferret out the people you can trust and want to work with.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #16
DangoForth

Find a way to share your passion and knowledge (and not just about movies) with those who can't help your career. Teach a free class for beginnng screenwriters, get involved with a mentoring program, give free script feedback to newbies. You can still talk your game, but you can enjoy it for the personal interaction it is, people with a shared passion, instead of worrying how it can help you get ahead.
But still do those industry get-togethers. You need to take care of your career, as well. Besides, they also are looking for folks to share their passion with. Just don't let it drive your ego...
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
CColoredClown

You think Hollywood is fake? Try being a librarian. They're all phony.
CColoredClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #18
omjs

Do you have any friends or connections who are not film-connected or aspiring? Because that would probably help. The kind of blustering that impresses recent film school grads isn't going to get much play with the little brother you used to take baths with when you were 4, you know?

The more you isolate yourself from the rest of the world, the more the social circle of up-and-comers and wannabes will become everything to you. So get out of there and make some other friends and try some other hobbies. Give it a rest for a bit.
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
BillG
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CColoredClown View Post
You think Hollywood is fake? Try being a librarian. They're all phony.
You think librarians are phony? Try being a switchboard operator.

THANKS, FOLKS! I'LL BE HERE ALL WEEK! TRY THE VEAL!
BillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #20
Mpimentel
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG View Post
You think librarians are phony? Try being a switchboard operator.

THANKS, FOLKS! I'LL BE HERE ALL WEEK! TRY THE VEAL!

I just did twice... Was setting up for the Re-Veal...

Ohh! This keeps getting worse
Episode 2 (African commercial)
Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)
Mpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote