Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2016, 01:21 AM   #61
Dustin Taylor
New User

Default Re: Objectification of women

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best," he said. "They're sending people that have lots of problems...they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

What he actually said. And although he exaggerated the problem, and is a blowhard who doesn't think before he opens his mouth, there are areas of the US where this is absolutely true. Pretending it isn't, doesn't make the problem go away.
It's okay. We can easily cut out part of someone's quote and post it out of context for a simple smartass shot on the internet.
Dustin Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:05 AM   #62
kintnerboy

Oh great, another self-loathing white guy with a political agenda in a gate-keeping position in Hollywood, trying to overcompensate for low-self-esteem by becoming a Twitter 'celebrity'.

Just what we need. Thanks.

Also, it's hilarious that we're going to Twitter-shame some no0b / hack writers in the name of 'feminism', as if Hollywood isn't closed to women who aren't 10s to begin with.
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:23 AM   #63
Dustin Taylor
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintnerboy View Post
Oh great, another self-loathing white guy with a political agenda in a gate-keeping position in Hollywood, trying to overcompensate for low-self-esteem by becoming a Twitter 'celebrity'.

Also, it's hilarious that we're going to Twitter-shame some no0b / hack writers in the name of 'feminism', as if Hollywood isn't closed to women who aren't 10s to begin with.
Yeah... I was hoping he'd end each tweet with #BeTheChange.
Dustin Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #64
MrDealHD
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjs View Post
Is there some reason those can't be the same thing?

Something I've noticed about all the various -ists is that they're taken to be personal character evaluations even when they're clearly describing behavior and nothing else. You can do something sexist or racist by accident or because you don't know any better. And when something is obviously applied disproportionately to one gender, over and over again, especially in a way that contributes to other sexist issues, I don't see what's wrong with calling it sexist.
Disproportionately by one individual, yes. But in this case, each example is taken from a seperate screenplay.

If I made a single statement that can be seen as sexist, and so did other random people, and those numbers were added together, would you call us sexist as well? That would be highly unintelligent.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #65
omjs

Again, I never called any people sexist. The intros are sexist, especially when it's happening over and over again in a way that helps exclude women from Hollywood storytelling. Pointing out the pattern encourages people to avoid playing into it, inadvertently or not.

So yeah, if you said one sexist thing, I might say that that thing you said was sexist. Which wouldn't necessarily mean anything about your essential character. Which was exactly my point in the post you quoted.
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #66
UnequalProductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintnerboy View Post

I've tried reading your last sentence about three times, and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say.

The fact that this guy is pointing out terrible introductions of female characters in screenplays is somehow making it harder for women who aren't 10s to get roles in Hollywood? Can you expand on that? How does shaming people who describe nearly every female character as "beautiful but she doesn't know it" make it harder for non-perfectly symmetrical actresses get jobs?
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #67
TheConnorNoden

I think his point was it seems a little like the pot calling the kettle black in that there is sexism across the board in Hollywood.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #68
UnequalProductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
I think his point was it seems a little like the pot calling the kettle black in that there is sexism across the board in Hollywood.
But how does calling out sexism in one place hurt women in other parts of Hollywood?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #69
TheConnorNoden

He never once claimed that. The point was that it is stupid to all point and laugh at these amateur screenwriters for their idiotic views of women when the higher ups have that same outlook but don't get shamed for it.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #70
UnequalProductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
He never once claimed that. The point was that it is stupid to all point and laugh at these amateur screenwriters for their idiotic views of women when the higher ups have that same outlook but don't get shamed for it.
So let some sexism slide because we can't stop all sexism?

And especially here on a screenwriting forum. These are our people making these mistakes. Isn't it good to call it out?