Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my first meeting with a manager...

So I had my first meeting with a manager, not sure how I feel about it. It's a legitimate boutique firm and the manager I met with has a solid reputation, but I left feeling kind of confused. I guess it felt more like a general meeting, we didn't talk much about actual representation, he made it seem like that would come later.

I was referred to him, and he told me he loved my script, but he made it clear that he wasn't bringing me on yet. He said he wanted to work with me on the script and then he'd bring it to his team, and we'd go from there, also mentioned wanting to look at my other script.

The thing that bothers me is that he said he liked it and wanted to work with me but he didn't have any notes. He said he'd written some down, but couldn't find them before the meeting which seemed odd to say the least.

Since this is my first meeting, I guess I wanted to see if any of that sounded odd, or par for the course. I am a new writer, the script he read was my first, but he sounded excited about, saying it had alot of potential, but then again I'm sure he'd say that to anyone he brought in.

Re: Had my first meeting with a manager...

Originally posted by wsaunders View Post
    So I had my first meeting with a manager, not sure how I feel about it. It's a legitimate boutique firm and the manager I met with has a solid reputation, but I left feeling kind of confused. I guess it felt more like a general meeting, we didn't talk much about actual representation, he made it seem like that would come later.

I was referred to him, and he told me he loved my script, but he made it clear that he wasn't bringing me on yet. He said he wanted to work with me on the script and then he'd bring it to his team, and we'd go from there, also mentioned wanting to look at my other script.

The thing that bothers me is that he said he liked it and wanted to work with me but he didn't have any notes. He said he'd written some down, but couldn't find them before the meeting which seemed odd to say the least.

Since this is my first meeting, I guess I wanted to see if any of that sounded odd, or par for the course. I am a new writer, the script he read was my first, but he sounded excited about, saying it had alot of potential, but then again I'm sure he'd say that to anyone he brought in.
    This may or may not help, but when a prospective manager once wanted to give me notes and develop the script but not represent me, I told him politely that couldn't accept the notes or his help without an agreement to rep me. That if I agreed to his development help without an agreement, he could come back at some point and claim some kind of ownership of his contribution. Not that I thought that was the case, but I needed to protect myself and my work. On the other hand, if he liked it enough to help develop it, he should also want to rep me. He didn't. And that was ok. I moved on.... and got a rep that wanted me without all the pre-qualifications.

Comment

God, I wish I'd heard that advice sooner.

Comment

He did say up front that if we parted ways whatever we we developed I could keep, the script would always be mine. Now obviously it's not in writing,

Comment

He did say up front that if we parted ways whatever we we developed I could keep, the script would always be mine. Now obviously it's not in writing,
          If it's not in writing from someone you really don't know or have a relationship with, it's meaningless.

Comment

He loved the script so much that he couldn't remember one of his notes? I bet he skimmed it at best. Who knows how many young writers he has said the same thing to. What does he have to lose? A script? Scripts are a dime a dozen out in LA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
              He loved the script so much that he couldn't remember one of his notes?
              That was my reaction also. If he loved the script he would know when he met you exactly what he loved about it and what reservations he had. We don't know who it was and don't want to prejudge him, it may have been a genuine show if interest with a couple of surface irregularities but it doesn't quite ring true. It appears he was probably just sussing you out to see if there was any potential opportunity with your work but he clearly wanted to avoid any commitment.

When you first start having meetings like this it's always a difficult business balancing the need to develop relationships while at the same time protecting your professional interests and not making yourself vulnerable. You don't want to be exploited, but similarly you don't want to burn any bridges. Generally it's best to create a set of ground rules for yourself for any new relationship or meeting like this, such as always requesting a written agreement before entering into and arrangement with the development of a script, whether it's a representation agreement or development agreement or option etc.

The difficulty is that there are also casual or informal arrangements that can lead to success so you need to evaluate each situation and judge it on its merits, but as a rule most professionals will not balk at a request for some sort of formal arrangement before expecting you to do further work on a script they are interested in.
              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

He did have a particular question about the logic of the script that he felt needed to be addressed. And he talked about things he liked about it, but he didn't give me any pages of notes, etc. To be fair, I was referred to him a by a ProdCo who had given me a few notes, and I told him I was working on a rewrite, so he told me he'd wait till I was finished to give me notes on the latest draft.
                Last edited by wsaunders; 02-28-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

My knee jerk is to say that they are on the fence -- or wanted to meet you first before making any decisions.

Most of the time even when a rep reads something they like, they want to meet the writer to see what kind of person they are. Great writing can only take you so far (in television especially). But they want to see if you're good in a room, if you're abrasive, if you can handle yourself in conversation, etc.

Years ago I had a few manager meetings just like this. You meet them because they like your script, you chit chat in the meeting, but there's no talk about what you really want to hear like if they want to rep you, what they would do with your script, etc.

It may be as simple as emailing the manager to say you enjoyed meeting them -- and if you're feeling this way -- you would like to work together. They're reaction will bet telling... Because now they have read and met you so if they seem wishy washy or aren't ready to jump in feet first, then they probably aren't fully invested -- which is never a good place to start.
                  Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I sent an email on friday afternoon saying something to the effect of "Thanks for meeting, I look forward to working together. I should have the new draft for you this week." I didn't get a response, but like I said, it was friday afternoon, and there wasn't really anything particularly necessary for him to respond to.

Comment

I will be surprised if anything comes of this. They aren't concerned about someone else snatching up you and your screenplay.

I know you want to work with someone, you want to be repped, I get it. Personally, I would say "great meeting you, blah blah" and keep it moving. Sounds like they're trying to pad their pile. Plenty of newer/young managers do that. I've had several jerk off meetings like that in the past.

You dont want to hear this: if it were me I'd never contact them again to see how interested they are. Depending on who they are. That determines the approach. Are they a new-ish young manager or top shelf?
                      DOPE CITY

Comment

Also... 'Depends on who they are'.

If they are top shelf I wouldn't push for paper work, that will just annoy them. Implies you don't trust them. I can't imagine an agent would recommend you push for that if they are top shelf.

Maybe others have a different experience, but I've not gotten the advice to push for paper work with top shelf folks. If they are a beast in the industry I'd smile and go along for the ride. If they are some new kid, I'd respectfully walk.

Your call.
                        DOPE CITY

Comment

It's a reputable but small boutique firm. The manager has about 8 years in the business and has worked at a top tier management firm in the past.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see since this is all conjecture, until it's not.

He did intimate, though I can't remember his exact words but it sounded like he wanted me to not show it while we were working on it, which could mean not to show it to ProdCo's because he'd rather give it to them, or could mean not to show it to other managers / agents.

Like I said though, I'll see how it plays out, if I hear from him this week or not, and if he responds to my latest draft.

Comment

It's a reputable but small boutique firm. The manager has about 8 years in the business and has worked at a top tier management firm in the past.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see since this is all conjecture, until it's not.

He did intimate, though I can't remember his exact words but it sounded like he wanted me to not show it while we were working on it, which could mean not to show it to ProdCo's because he'd rather give it to them, or could mean not to show it to other managers / agents.

Like I said though, I'll see how it plays out, if I hear from him this week or not, and if he responds to my latest draft.
                            He's not repping you, but doesn't want you to show it anyone else? Again only my advice, but you show it as much and to anyone you damn well please during this time. Don't stop querying. Don't stop looking for outlets. You owe this guy nothing. A manager is a another tool in a writer's bag, not an employer who tells you what can and can't do with your career. You work together and if experienced, a good manager can really help guide you. But it's YOUR career. You ultimately have to make the final decisions. YOU sign contracts, not your manager. A manager can get you in rooms, but YOU have to be good in them. It's not an employee / employer relationship. If it had been me, I would have told him I will continue to send it out because you have no agreement otherwise. A good writer businessperson operates from a position of strength with a good manager. As an equal. Not from fear or desperation. That's never a good thing.

Comment

So did he say anything specific about the script at all? Or just that he liked it and couldn't find his notes?

I find this pretty strange. I talked with a manager who wanted to develop my script with me. And he took out his phone and started going through all his notes which took about 20 minutes. That's what you want a manager to do. Unless he said he liked the script as is. But he said he wanted to develop it with you.

Whether he was ill prepared or simply blowing smoke up your ass, those are both things you don't want a potential manager to do.

Don't necessarily cut ties with him but I wouldn't hold my breath. As others have said, just keep moving forward and meeting other people.

Comment

Working...
                              X