Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Jonathan_Bentz
User

Default Writing Under A Pen Name?

Hi, I'm just wondering, if you write under a pen name, do you contact people under that name and then just sign your real name for payment and tax purposes, and such, or do you mention that the script is being written under a pen name and list it for their convenience?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I honestly think I'd prefer using a pen name over my real name, since I have a series of self-published ebooks I'm working on under my real name and I don't want that being connected too quickly to my scripts, if at all.

I wasn't sure if this fit under this forum heading, but I figure if it doesn't it'll be moved to the appropriate one....
Jonathan_Bentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Writing Under A Pen Name

http://johnaugust.com/2008/using-a-pseudonym
JoeBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
SoCalScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Bentz View Post
Hi, I'm just wondering, if you write under a pen name, do you contact people under that name and then just sign your real name for payment and tax purposes, and such, or do you mention that the script is being written under a pen name and list it for their convenience?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I honestly think I'd prefer using a pen name over my real name, since I have a series of self-published ebooks I'm working on under my real name and I don't want that being connected too quickly to my scripts, if at all.

I wasn't sure if this fit under this forum heading, but I figure if it doesn't it'll be moved to the appropriate one....
The contract needs to be in your legal name (and that'll be apparently pretty quickly since you also have to provide tax forms when you're hired or sell a project)... but if your name is Joe Average and you want to be John Awesome, it's up to you whether you merely stipulate that you're to be credited as "John Awesome" on the movie, or if you actually refer to yourself as John Awesome in all your daily interactions. Legal documents and payments need to be under an actual legal name. In almost all other instances, you can call yourself whatever you want.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
pjc
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalScribe View Post
The contract needs to be in your legal name (and that'll be apparently pretty quickly since you also have to provide tax forms when you're hired or sell a project)... but if your name is Joe Average and you want to be John Awesome, it's up to you whether you merely stipulate that you're to be credited as "John Awesome" on the movie, or if you actually refer to yourself as John Awesome in all your daily interactions. Legal documents and payments need to be under an actual legal name. In almost all other instances, you can call yourself whatever you want.

Joe Awesome huh?? hello new name...
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
Terri
User

BUT my name is actually already taken by someone very famous (an actor/direct/writer). Our name is just one letter off. But if anyone said our names, they'd end up having to note which they were talking about. (And Noooo, no one's talking about me.... yet.)

But I'd like to have a pen name that I use for everything film related (writing, directing, acting, etc.)... {I just came up with a pen name and well, I LOVE it!}

I have not met with any success as of yet so no one KNOWS me. So far I've been blogging (not too much traffic), entered a few contests, no wins, and just entered two scripts into Nicholl under my legal name....

If I use a pen name, I think I will change my URL which I actually just bought a few weeks ago and the change won't be difficult at all. It's not like I have a following or anything.

Better now than wait?
Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:03 AM   #6
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Better now than wait?
It's now or never.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 AM   #7
Terri
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Gotcha!
And very appropriate, since I live in Memphis.
Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #8
cvolante

Default Re: Writing Under A Pen Name?

Wow, I just did a quick Google search and here's what happened to a female novelist when she queried under a male pen name: http://www.themarysue.com/female-nov...-nom-de-plume/
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
EnsconcedinVelvet
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
BUT my name is actually already taken by someone very famous (an actor/direct/writer). Our name is just one letter off.
Quinton Tarantino?
EnsconcedinVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #10
Crayon

Default Re: Writing Under A Pen Name?

My surname is Lepper. As you might imagine, I've been considering using a pseudonym for screenwriting. (I may get more read requests if people don't think I'm diseased.) Does anyone here think I would be better off using a different name?

Last edited by Crayon : 03-06-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote