Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspired by/based on an urban legend

Greetings! I have just completed a screenplay inspired by, oh, lets say the Jersey Devil. Aside from the Jersey Devil (of which I changed the name of), the location and a few very very feint facts, it is a completely original work.

This brings me to the point of bafflement with my title page as I was wondering if I should write "inspired by the "Jersey Devil" urban legend" on the title page or leave it be. I did superimpose on the first page of the screenplay that the story was "inspired by supposed events" and I was hoping to use it hook the marketing, but as there was an extreme amount of creative liberty involved I'm not sure if I should add that to the title and the fact that its based on an urban legend and not a copyrighted work.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Inspired by/based on an urban legend

If you're doing this in terms of trying to hook buyers, why don't you just make it about the Jersey Devil, rather than something based on it? I don't know how many people know what the Jersey Devil is, outside of cryptozoology buffs and folks in the Pine Barrens, but there are several Mothman movies out there

Comment

I don't think it matters one way or the other what you put on the title page.

In your logline, or your pitch email, "inspired by actual events" or "based on the legend of the blahblahblah is fine." But on the title page of the script I have a hard time seeing it make any difference whatsoever.

Comment

"Based on something that never happened."

This, included on a title page, would peak my interest.
        "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
        - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Forget about the title page, why not name names?

"Chupacabra: An Unauthorized Biography"

or

"They Call Me La Llorona"

Comment

Working...
          X