Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
wsaunders
Regular

Default Echo Lake

Hello, looking for info on Echo Lake Productions/Management, and specifically James Engle? I didn't see them on the monster list of Managers so wasn't sure where they stood.

I've been referred to him but yet to meet him, just wondering the reputation of the company or man. A google result didn't turn up anything recent.
wsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
bjamin

Default Re: Echo Lake

here's a google link to some info on him: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+James+Eng le

also, try facebook or linkedin. Looks like he has a facebook page (i'm not on facebook so I couldn't look at it myself). Not sure about Linkedin.

Last edited by bjamin : 02-11-2016 at 07:09 AM.
bjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
martin
User

Nice people. Very boutique (read, small) Their business is in postproduction investing, occasionally packaging, in exchange for a piece of the library. Plugged-in but at a very peripheral level, great for scrappy indies or one-man-bands.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
wsaunders
Regular

one man bands? Not sure what that means.

I guess my two main concerns is could they get me an agent and/or get my script into the hands of most people around town including the studio?

I looked up the recent deals, and they haven't made a lot, but they've made some including setting up something with Team Downey at Warner Brothers.

I am a new unrepped writer so I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth since I was being referred there and I haven't even begun to look for representation yet, but I'm a sci-fi writer with admittedly large big budget type commercial studio fare scripts. Ultimately I know it's up to my writing, but I'd like to be with someone who can get me in the room.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
LateNightWriter

Get a 2-week free trial at IMDBPro and check out Echo Lake's client list. I believe they have a roster of very prominent clients. This is not a one-guy-and-a-phone operation.

Late Night Writer
LateNightWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Ronaldinho

It's a 15-employee company with over 190 clients, according to IMDB Pro. Looks like a lot of their clients are actors.

Looking at James's writer clients, it looks like he has a lot of fairly entry-level writers. IMDB Pro isn't always great for tracking projects in development, and some of them are clearly working (which doesn't mean the other's aren't).
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
NoNeckJoe
Regular

Yeah, I'd say you'd be in good hands there. James started at Benderspink and is probably pretty well connected around town.

But have they already read you? I've been referred to reps a bunch of times, only to have them pass on my material regardless. Hopefully they dig your work, because that'd probably be a good starting point for you.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
Dustin Taylor
New User

Engle's legit.

If you ever score a meeting there, rather take the water, ask for a Fresca instead.

Last edited by Dustin Taylor : 02-12-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Dustin Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Ronaldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
But have they already read you? I've been referred to reps a bunch of times, only to have them pass on my material regardless.
Yeah, that's a pretty common experience. Referrals are great, but all they do is get you the read. We all want to think our material is so great that everyone who reads it will fall in love with it, but tragically, this isn't so.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
wsaunders
Regular

Yes, he's read it and was a big fan and wants to meet. I looked up his deals on DoneDeal and he's made a few this past year, but a lot of the deals have two managers for the one writer. even on IMDB it will list them repped by 2 managers at the same firm. Wondering what that means?