Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorts...Why? How?

So aside from the normal screenwriting route, is it worth it/feasible to try and do a short? I've seen a few times where a film gets bought because of a short and gets turned into a feature. I guess there's merit to having something you wrote actually produced? If it's good, you can submit it to film fests.

Are all shorts independently produced?
    If I want this made, do I need to make it myself or can you submit shorts like you submit features? Can I send it to production companies? Are there short specific companies? Can I send it to manager/agents, or if I have one, should I show it to my manager(I know he reps directors, so would I see if they'd be interested in directing it?)

Attachments?
    Sometimes I see shorts with big name actors, and I've always wondered how the actors became attached. I imagine most shorts are made on shoe string budgets so how do you get an actor attached? Do you submit your script to their agent and hope they like it enough they're willing to work cheaply?

Re: Shorts...Why? How?

A friend of mine landed an Academy Award nominee for his short film, utilizing a casting agent and advertising (it's all in the pitch - even big name actors will work "cheap" if the role is great).

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/co...der-short-film

Comment

Originally posted by wsaunders View Post
      So aside from the normal screenwriting route, is it worth it/feasible to try and do a short? I've seen a few times where a film gets bought because of a short and gets turned into a feature. I guess there's merit to having something you wrote actually produced? If it's good, you can submit it to film fests.
      Not a fan of the film festival route, but if it's good enough for people to share (not including family and friends) then it will find the attention of people who matter if you make a big enough splash.

Are all shorts independently produced?
      If I want this made, do I need to make it myself or can you submit shorts like you submit features? Can I send it to production companies? Are there short specific companies? Can I send it to manager/agents, or if I have one, should I show it to my manager(I know he reps directors, so would I see if they'd be interested in directing it?)
      Shorts are funded in all types of ways. Out of pocket, kickstarter, investors, family funds, credit cards, whatever. You can send it to whoever you like if it's good. Not good by your standards, but good by the public's response to the project.

Attachments?
      Sometimes I see shorts with big name actors, and I've always wondered how the actors became attached. I imagine most shorts are made on shoe string budgets so how do you get an actor attached? Do you submit your script to their agent and hope they like it enough they're willing to work cheaply?
      Either someone involved with the film knows the actor or they paid them. Most actors will work if the money is real. Some care about the script others don't. Obviously I'm talking about actors who are "gettable". Not Tom Cruise or Will Smith.
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

If there are any TV shows filmed in your area, try to catch the actors while the show is on hiatus. Sometimes they like the town and so they stick around and they're looking for something to do. I've seen indie filmmakers have success snagging talent that way, but usually it's for indie features.

Comment

I'm in LA. My hesitancy is that I do sci-fi stuff, if it were comedy or drama I could probably knock something out pretty easy. I just don't know how I'd get any type of FX stuff done.

Comment

I'm in LA. My hesitancy is that I do sci-fi stuff, if it were comedy or drama I could probably knock something out pretty easy. I just don't know how I'd get any type of FX stuff done.
            Maybe try posting a request on the Blender Artists Community forum ...
            http://blenderartists.org/forum/index.php
            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

The internet and look outside of LA. I'm working on a VFX short right now and have found some strong modelers through believe it or not Craigslist. Funny because I have used paid job sites and got higher end skilled guys interested but they all had very short windows of time and their rates were a lot higher.

Also have gotten decent feedback from art schools and colleges where they're trying to find their senior students gigs before they graduate. Contact whoever is over the vfx/3d department and they will be more than willing to spread your job postings and send you people they think fit what you're looking for.
              One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                Maybe try posting a request on the Blender Artists Community forum ...
                http://blenderartists.org/forum/index.php
                Going to use this forum myself to post for a vfx gig I need done on my project

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Generally speaking, a short is more a director's calling card than a writer's.

Comment

Working...
                  X