Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
wsaunders
Regular

Default Including a primary/ glossary?

So I'm writing a semi pirate themed script with nautical terms, etc. Was wondering if it would be prudent to include a small intro page with basic ship terms like what bow and aft mean, etc. Not extensive, just a quick guide.
wsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
finalact4

Default Re: Including a primary/ glossary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsaunders View Post
So I'm writing a semi pirate themed script with nautical terms, etc. Was wondering if it would be prudent to include a small intro page with basic ship terms like what bow and aft mean, etc. Not extensive, just a quick guide.
A quick guide? Meaning you expect the reader to stop reading your story and then flip back and reference a term? I wouldn't.

Describe the object/term at the first time we see it/use it. That way it will relate to your story. I have a sci-fi that has its own terminology too, readers will understand (and remember) it better in the context of the story.

Last edited by finalact4 : 05-22-2016 at 07:40 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
ComicBent

Default Re: Including a primary/ glossary?

In your particular case, it is probably not a good idea. That is not to say that a glossary should never, under any circumstances, be included. It is a matter of efficiency: What is the best way to convey necessary information?

A couple of points are relevant here.

1. As you know, the audience will never be privy to the glossary. Anything obscure should be comprehensible in the context. Of course, «bow» and «aft» are simple terms anyway.

2. You may be thinking, not of the audience, but of the director and the crew, who might need help. In some instances a writer may need to clarify something. The best way to do this, in my opinion, is to include a brief explanation in brackets [like these] within the action itself.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote