Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
Darthclaw13
Regular

Default Us

Hi all,
I am going to see Us tomorrow and wanted to see if anyone here has already seen it or are going to.

I am looking forward to this one. It looks like it could be very interesting and dare I say...scary.

It's been a long time since a film truly frightened me and from the trailers this one looks like it might or at least make me feel un-nerved.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
Jai Brandon

Default Re: Us

Saw it last night and left the theater a bit underwhelmed. I think the story works if you’re not one to ask questions, but there are plot holes/illogical issues galore. When the movie ended we all just sort of got up and left, I could feel the disappointment in the air. To top it off? It’s not at all scary. I’m not sure how the 100% on Rotten Tomatoes happened. I’m a fan of Jordan, his best work was on the Key & Peele show, but I think he missed the boat with “Us.”
Jai Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
TigerFang

Lately, the director has made the late night talk show circuit and each time the (same) clip was suspenseful enough to make me consider seeing it. Thanks, Jai. you’ve saved me what I consider a significant amount of pocket money and also what I consider some valuable movie-watching time. Thanks for being considerate and saying what you thought about the movie.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
Jai Brandon

Happy to help! Hype is the most powerful tool in advertising, so on that basis, the film has succeeded. I’m looking forward to more chiming in about what they thought.
Jai Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
Darthclaw13
Regular

I agree with Jai...a bit underwhelmed afterward.

I will admit I have kept thinking about the film for a couple days now since seeing it, and usually that is a sign a film was good. However, that is not the case here. I keep thinking about this one because my brain is trying to "fix" this film. Trying to fill in all the gaps and change certain scenes to make them better.

Honestly, many scenes were sooooo slow and dragged on. They could've been tightened up immensely. This film did not need to be 2 hours long. Most horror films are only 90mins anyway.

There were also many missed opportunities that could've made scenes better than what they were or the dialog better. And the lame jokes.....sad. Nobody in the theater laughed.

There were also too many loose ends and throw away ideas. Ideas which I felt were pretty good, but they were just left dangling.

Also, the "twist"...I figured it out very early in the film so was not surprised when it was revealed later.

This felt like a segment in an anthology that was stretched out for time. Perhaps Jordan should have made an anthology instead (aside from twilight zone). He has great ideas and I have been a fan of his for awhile.

I will say though that Lupita's performance is worth the ticket price. She knocked it outta the park. I would definitely recommend going to see this film for her alone.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
ricther
Regular

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one in our community who felt underwhelmed by US. I feel sooo bad too. I see so many people praising how great it is and how scary it is. I felt like I was missing something. And I hate how people on social media are attacking people who didn't like it by calling them stupid and saying that they didn't get it. I got Peele's message loud and clear. It wasn't that deep or mysterious. But I will say that Lupita and Winston Duke KILLED IT! That soundtrack and score was amazing. There's one scene with a certain NWA song playing over it that was superb. I thought the cinematography was great as well. I just didn't vibe with the story. I do plan on seeing it a second time just to see if my thoughts change.

Last edited by ricther : 03-23-2019 at 11:23 PM.
ricther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
Juno Styles

Finally saw it.

I felt somewhere between underwhelmed and confused -- mostly about the whole hand holding thing shown at the beginning and the end.

I think it should have been marketed as a phycological thriller instead of a horror. The people in my theater seemed very engaged, laughed at the jokes and seemed to be satisfied overall though.

Seemed extremely slow in the beginning to me for the return on investment we get at the end.

I'm not sure where the whole "masterpiece" hype is coming from, but it was solid IMO. I probably wouldn't rewatch it though.

The Fiction Story Room
Juno Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:18 AM   #8
JoeBanks

i thought it was a lot of fun, much closer to Get Out's humorous tone than i had been led to expect from the creepy trailers. the big mystery/twist at the center of the story wasn't as compelling or thematically strong as Get Out's but just on the level of a horror thrill ride, the first 90 minutes delivers. audience at Cinerama Dome clapped and laughed a lot, so they seemed really into it
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
DLev24
User

I enjoyed it, for the most part. I do want to see it again, as this was the most excited I'd been for a movie in probably 8 or 9 years, so I feel like I do need another viewing free of the baggage of that hype. That said, it's a fun and enjoyable home invasion movie with interesting ideas about class underneath all the scares. It didn't reach the heights that Get Out did for me and definitely has a few plot holes/logic problems... but its impeccably directed and Lupita's performance is worth seeing it alone. She's absolutely brilliant in her dual-role.
DLev24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:28 AM   #10
R.D. Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai Brandon View Post
Saw it last night and left the theater a bit underwhelmed. I think the story works if you’re not one to ask questions, but there are plot holes/illogical issues galore. When the movie ended we all just sort of got up and left, I could feel the disappointment in the air. To top it off? It’s not at all scary. I’m not sure how the 100% on Rotten Tomatoes happened. I’m a fan of Jordan, his best work was on the Key & Peele show, but I think he missed the boat with “Us.”
I'm glad you said it first. To be honest, I was really frustrated with this movie, and mind you, I did not pay to see it in a theater. The first thing that bothers me is that Peele really did start out with a great idea. In an era of zombies, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, demonic possession, et al, it would be refreshing to see a story based on a seldom-used entity: the Doppelgänger. The thought of someone who looks exactly like me going around doing terrible things, for which I get blamed, that's terrifying. And the fact that this idea hasn't been used in a long time opens up all kinds of possibilities.

I was hesitant to comment on this movie because all I can remember about it is bits and pieces. But now that I think about it, that's exactly what the movie is: a lot of bits and pieces strung together. The story does have a few similarities to the Edgar Allen Poe story "William Wilson," the mirror for instance, which manifests itself at the end of Poe's tale. With a few twists and turns, this could have been a pretty scary movie. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I think instead what Peele chose to do is turn this into science fiction. Did this story have something to do with an army of clones? -- who live underground and feed on rabbits? -- and they all wear red jumpsuits that came from -- where?? I'm confused. Please straighten me out on this.

Okay, the movie looks great, and I'm sure a lot of hard work went into it. But with the technology nowadays, people are making much worse movies that look just as good. I am obliged to give credit to the acting. Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke and the two children all turn in fine performances.

And at this point, I've probably said too much. Maybe I just missed something. Maybe this is the kind of movie you need to see more than once in order to "get it."

I'll give it a year.