Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #291
sc111
Member
 
sc111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

FA4:

I seem to remember reading somewhere, perhaps here, that the readers at BL are paid $25 per script. I now see that the rate writers pay for a feature script read has been raised to $75. I have no idea if BL readers also got a raise or if their pay is still a flat $25. As someone who is solidly in the gig economy, that's dirt cheap pay, IMO.

I understand your point when you say: "we're paying for their professional ability to give as objective a review as possible." However, I have to question what level of professionalism can be expected when the readers get only $25 a pop.

A likely scenario -- the better readers, the more professional readers, move into higher-paid gigs after putting the Blacklist on their resumes and what's left are the not-very-professional readers. This can possibly be the reason why your more recent experiences with the Blacklist are not living up to the positive experiences you had a couple years ago.

With that said, if the BL criteria is solely:

"It really is very simple: the number represents how likely a reader would be to recommend your script to a peer or superior in the industry. Crazy enthusiastic recommend = 10; I would never recommend this under any circumstance = 1."

Expecting true objectivity is a big ask. Especially from readers who may not have ever been in a job where they were recommending scripts to superiors in the industry. We have to take FL at his word that the readers have solid industry experience but with a pay rate of $25 per script I sincerely doubt they do.

I know when I read scripts for fellow writers -- the read itself takes a minimum of an hour (I've always been a fast reader) and the notes take me another hour plus, sometimes more. That's an average of $10-$12 an hour and I have to wonder how much objectivity I can expect for that kind of pay.
__________________
Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. “Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.”
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #292
sc111
Member
 
sc111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

FA4:

PS: I just clicked the Reditt link you provided and found this in the comments section which sort of confirms mu suspicions:

Quote:
I know a few readers at the Black List and unfortunately... this insight gives me a great indication of the sort of feedback you're gonna get. It's mainly assistants and film students who need the extra $30 that fill up the majority of the regular readers, and they don't really know what they're talking about most of the time. Some of them are at least competent and should know what they are talking about, but for the most, they don't care about it and just pump out the same dribble each and every time. It's about speed for them so they just repeat, repeat and repeat. ... (mind you, they got 7's all around because the sight doesn't really like to give away free months)
If that last sentence is true it could explain why 8s and 9s are rare.

EDITED TO ADD: Here's another comment in the Reditt thread that had me laugh aloud:

Quote:
The anonymity of the service reminds me of phone sex operators: not as good as the real thing, and given by people who haven't had much sex in their actual lives.
__________________
Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. “Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.”

Last edited by sc111 : 09-12-2019 at 05:03 PM.
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #293
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,343
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
FA4:

PS: I just clicked the Reditt link you provided and found this in the comments section which sort of confirms mu suspicions:
yeah. sometimes services have issues. they don't get fixed if no one speaks out about it. i was actually please to see that in the top lists, there weren't to many big variances.

the reason i'm speaking out is because i love what the site has done for me in the past and was hoping it would still be the same quality even after all the negative things i've heard. i want to use them ALL the time if i can count on some kind of consistency. there is consistency, you can see it by clicking on scripts.

i have some really amazing reviews. and listen, i'm not saying "i want high scores out of the gate every time." that'd be nice, for sure, what i'm saying is that i want an eval that makes sense, doesn't contradict itself, one that doesn't say something patently untrue.

you can tell by some of the evals that they're doing a "plug n play," on the eval. it's just my opinion. no one has to listen. i want to feel good about giving them my money.
__________________
TIP OF THE DAY: when you attend a big film festival, make sure you have a pitch ready-- you never know when you'll find yourself sitting across from Shane Black and he asks, "what're you working on?"
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #294
sc111
Member
 
sc111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
yeah. sometimes services have issues. they don't get fixed if no one speaks out about it. i was actually please to see that in the top lists, there weren't to many big variances.

the reason i'm speaking out is because i love what the site has done for me in the past and was hoping it would still be the same quality even after all the negative things i've heard. i want to use them ALL the time if i can count on some kind of consistency. there is consistency, you can see it by clicking on scripts.

i have some really amazing reviews. and listen, i'm not saying "i want high scores out of the gate every time." that'd be nice, for sure, what i'm saying is that i want an eval that makes sense, doesn't contradict itself, one that doesn't say something patently untrue.

you can tell by some of the evals that they're doing a "plug n play," on the eval. it's just my opinion. no one has to listen. i want to feel good about giving them my money.
You totally have the right to "want to feel good about giving them my money." The question is: has quality control on the notes provided by BL readers slipped to the extent it's no longer worth the fee?
__________________
Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. “Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.”
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #295
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,343
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
FA4:

I seem to remember reading somewhere, perhaps here, that the readers at BL are paid $25 per script. I now see that the rate writers pay for a feature script read has been raised to $75. I have no idea if BL readers also got a raise or if their pay is still a flat $25. As someone who is solidly in the gig economy, that's dirt cheap pay, IMO.

I understand your point when you say: "we're paying for their professional ability to give as objective a review as possible." However, I have to question what level of professionalism can be expected when the readers get only $25 a pop.

A likely scenario -- the better readers, the more professional readers, move into higher-paid gigs after putting the Blacklist on their resumes and what's left are the not-very-professional readers. This can possibly be the reason why your more recent experiences with the Blacklist are not living up to the positive experiences you had a couple years ago.

With that said, if the BL criteria is solely:

"It really is very simple: the number represents how likely a reader would be to recommend your script to a peer or superior in the industry. Crazy enthusiastic recommend = 10; I would never recommend this under any circumstance = 1."

Expecting true objectivity is a big ask. Especially from readers who may not have ever been in a job where they were recommending scripts to superiors in the industry. We have to take FL at his word that the readers have solid industry experience but with a pay rate of $25 per script I sincerely doubt they do.

I know when I read scripts for fellow writers -- the read itself takes a minimum of an hour (I've always been a fast reader) and the notes take me another hour plus, sometimes more. That's an average of $10-$12 an hour and I have to wonder how much objectivity I can expect for that kind of pay.
i totally hear you, sc111. you're a damn fast reader-- me, i'm slow.

my comments are not directed as FL, the man. i don't know the man, and can't say anything about him one way or the other. i'm solely commenting on a paid service that i patron. it seems the quality of the evaluations has faltered from what used to be.

it's unfortunate that they can't pay readers more.

to me, i'm about doing a job well. i've never been in the position where i did something half assed to pump out "volume," and to make more, when i don't deserve it. i take a job, i'm paid to do my best, ima gonna do my best every time. 1000%. i mean, how to you become the best at something if you're trying to skirt the system or take advantage? you took the job under the condition that you'd do your best, then do your best.

i give notes to writer friends and i'm in writer's groups, so i review work every month-- it's a commitment. it's time consuming. but they're all doing it too. best we can.

i laughed at the "sex operators," comment too.
__________________
TIP OF THE DAY: when you attend a big film festival, make sure you have a pitch ready-- you never know when you'll find yourself sitting across from Shane Black and he asks, "what're you working on?"
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #296
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,343
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
You totally have the right to "want to feel good about giving them my money." The question is: has quality control on the notes provided by BL readers slipped to the extent it's no longer worth the fee?
the only reason i left the spec up is to run out the credit on the one month free. it won't matter. i was offered a discount because of the variance and declined. i'm not paying for another review. not even at a discounted rate.

i'm leaving Tracker up because it's reader recommended, on the featured script list, and has some high scores. but that won't help me, because i'm not going to chance paying for more reviews to get back on the list like other writers have done. it's the only thing you really can do once your script ages out past the one year mark.

tbl says the reason they don't allow your scores to count beyond the one year, even though you can see it on you script, is because "they want to focus on newer writers." they actually told me that. but it's not the truth, is it? they want you to buy more evals. they want you to continue to host your script. even if you only ever get one download every month or two. if i had reps, i'd have them go rate it, but i don't.

that irked me, because i was like, so why should i continue to pay to host my script every month when the only way you'll support me is if i pay to get more evaluations? i mean, totally their choice and mine to remain if i choose.

i'm rewriting my rom com now, so we'll see how i feel about it when it's done. i might try another service. as soon as the free month is up, i'll take it down.

i dunno, i might try again. it's got huge name recognition. i was even thinking about suggesting i'd be willing to help out as a QC person. that's really what they need.

and think about that for a minute, if there were more consistency, think about how much that would really help writers and indy pros. think about how MANY more writers would use the site. i know everyone has an opinion. i'm fine with that. was i shocked that my script got a 3? hell yeah, i was. i mean, i think we sent it to XXXXXX, they passed so maybe it is a ****ing 3.
__________________
TIP OF THE DAY: when you attend a big film festival, make sure you have a pitch ready-- you never know when you'll find yourself sitting across from Shane Black and he asks, "what're you working on?"

Last edited by finalact4 : 09-12-2019 at 06:48 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #297
sc111
Member
 
sc111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i totally hear you, sc111. you're a damn fast reader-- me, i'm slow.

my comments are not directed as FL, the man. i don't know the man, and can't say anything about him one way or the other. i'm solely commenting on a paid service that i patron. it seems the quality of the evaluations has faltered from what used to be.

it's unfortunate that they can't pay readers more.

to me, i'm about doing a job well. i've never been in the position where i did something half assed to pump out "volume," and to make more, when i don't deserve it. i take a job, i'm paid to do my best, ima gonna do my best every time. 1000%. i mean, how to you become the best at something if you're trying to skirt the system or take advantage? you took the job under the condition that you'd do your best, then do your best.

i give notes to writer friends and i'm in writer's groups, so i review work every month-- it's a commitment. it's time consuming. but they're all doing it too. best we can.

i laughed at the "sex operators," comment too.
I agree with you and as a freelance advertising writer, the fact that I go above and beyond is likely the reason I still get work when so many other freelancers I know couldn't make anything close to a living and dropped out of the industry.

However, if a client is expecting the moon and the stars for what amounts to minimum wage, I will tell them to go fvck themselves. And I have. Because I refuse to give clients the benefit of my experience and skills for minimum wage. If it comes to that, I'll get a job at the grocery store.

Now, I don't know Franklin the man but I will say, in my opinion, even if he's paying readers $30 per feature script, now, he has to know a percentage of readers will do a less than stellar job because their goal is quantity not quality.

The counter argument may be the $75 fee is lower than the cost of getting notes from pro readers like those who have received great testimonials from members, here.

I guess the bottom line is -- we get what we pay for. And Franklin is not paying his readers a decent fee for services in my opinion, so...
__________________
Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. “Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.”
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #298
sc111
Member
 
sc111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

I just read this after I posted above. Hmmm:


Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
the only reason i left the spec up is to run out the credit on the one month free. it won't matter. i was offered a discount because of the variance and declined. i'm not paying for another review. not even at a discounted rate.

i'm leaving Tracker up because it's reader recommended, on the featured script list, and has some high scores. but that won't help me, because i'm not going to chance paying for more reviews to get back on the list like other writers have done. it's the only thing you really can do once your script ages out past the one year mark.

tbl says the reason they don't allow your scores to count beyond the one year, even though you can see it on you script, is because "they want to focus on newer writers." they actually told me that. but it's not the truth, is it? they want you to buy more evals. they want you to continue to host your script. even if you only ever get one download every month or two. if i had reps, i'd have them go rate it, but i don't.

that irked me, because i was like, so why should i continue to pay to host my script every month when the only way you'll support me is if i pay to get more evaluations? i mean, totally their choice and mine to remain if i choose.

i'm rewriting my rom com now, so we'll see how i feel about it when it's done. i might try another service. as soon as the free month is up, i'll take it down.

i dunno, i might try again. it's got huge name recognition. i was even thinking about suggesting i'd be willing to help out as a QC person. that's really what they need.

and think about that for a minute, if there were more consistency, think about how much that would really help writers and indy pros. think about how MANY more writers would use the site. i know everyone has an opinion. i'm fine with that. was i shocked that my script got a 3? hell yeah, i was. i mean, i think we sent it to screen gems, they passed so maybe it is a ****ing 3.
Since I never used BL I had no idea about the details you shared above. It would give me pause if I was an existing customer. BTW: What is a QC person?
----------------
NEVERMIND on the question: Ha - QC = Quality Control. Penny just dropped.
__________________
Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. “Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.”

Last edited by sc111 : 09-12-2019 at 06:09 PM.
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #299
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quick question, do you think our industry would be better if there was more than 1 way to break in and not just the black list? Seems so... maybe I'll start a new service...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #300
UpandComing
Member
 
UpandComing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: Franklin Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
UpandComing -- If you were my close friend or someone I know from DD, I'd say dump the black list -- it sounds like an ex girlfriend who has hurt you too many times and you keep going back. And you say, but sure there are other girls, but she gets me and maybe she's the one. And I say, that's stupid, she makes you miserable even if you have some good times together, you'd feel 100% better if you just move on. And either you hug me or don't listen to me, marry her and get divorced. It's your life. I just think you'd instantly be happier if you just let... it... go....

I do not believe for one second that one service is the reason anyone makes it. You won't be on your death bed, going, if only i used the black list more...

I finished in Top 5 of a big contest, got offered rep. But I was also querying at same time and same script got my a better offer from a rep, so I took that one at the time.

So if I never entered the contest -- same result. Because the script was good.

Just because a great script like SHUT IN finds great success and they happen to have used BL, does not mean 100% that the BL is the reason for it. You're forgetting the talented writer and great script... BL is just a friend trying to get you a date. You have to do the rest...
Haha, Bono, funny analogy. But I'm not sure it's the best one. When you have a girlfriend, she's the only one you're dating (well, unless you're the leader of a cult).

As I've said before, the Black List is one of only a handful of options for getting serious notice from the industry. Thus, for many writers, it's included among that small group of services they are using simultaneously. I know it can help people, because I myself have been contacted by a producer and a manger on the site after they read my 8-scoring scripts (though it ultimately did not pan out). So I have firsthand experience with its value.

Do I have some issues with its operation? Sure. But not enough to justify never using the site again. I think you may have gotten the wrong impression of me. I do not spend my days and nights steaming about the BL. I do pop in to talk about the site every once in awhile on DDP, but that's usually only when someone critiques it and I feel the need to back them up/defend them from the attacks they inevitably receive. It's not like I've been starting my own threads on BL (at least, I haven't in years). And my arguments can sometimes get lengthy and intense, but that's because I enjoy a healthy debate. The fact is, I don't use the site often enough for it to be constantly present of mind -- maybe once or twice a year at most, whenever I have a new script.

I've gotta say, I find it interesting that two of the people arguing to "just stop using BL" are people who've never used it. If you've received contact from people through the site like myself and finalact4, you'd understand why it doesn't make sense to leave the possibility of success through BL off the table.
__________________
“I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.”- Peter De Vries
UpandComing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker