Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #81
Bono

Default Re: Reformatting from left-justified

You can't go wrong with less pages.

Let's be clear it's what's written on page 1 to 110 (where I like to stop myself) that's important.

If it's amazing, maybe they will read 160 pages. But if it's crap, they won't even read 6 pages.

And yes your brand and success of course play a part in what you can get away with. See Stephen King's 1000 page books.

Also to learn how hard screenwriter is see Stephen King's screenplays.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #82
Merrick
User

Alright "told ya so" people. I already dug into the first 30 pages and hacked out literally 5 pages just by cutting a few extra lines.

It's almost ridiculous how easily you can cut pages in a script.

So, I'm gonna go through this over the next few days. If this is any average ... and I hope it is for my own sanity's sake then I can get this below 140 with very easy cutting that takes a couple days max. A very easy trade off of a couple days tightening towards actually getting it read.

Thanks very much to those who weighed in and gave tips.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #83
Bono

Once you start cutting you can't stop. It's fun! Welcome to rewriting, aka the real writing of the script!

You can lose entire scenes and GAIN!

If you have 10 characters maybe you only need 5. If you have 3 best friends make them 2 best friends and combine characters.

Can one action or smile replace 3 pages of boring dialogue? Think Indiana Jones shoots the guy with sword because the actor wasn't feeling well and they didn't have time to shoot a giant action piece. And it's the best thing in the movie! (yes I know this is on set note, but just saying...)

I just cut 7 pages out of my sitcom and that's a lot for 38 pages. And I didn't lose anything, I gained! It's a better read. I had a lot of scenes that were saying the same thing.

Also just cut pages 65-80 and you won't even notice it. (this is a joke and not a joke).
Old 09-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #84
Merrick
User

It's the fifth draft now, so I know about rewriting. Let's see how low it goes. Feeling relieved at least that losing pages is really easy. I haven't cut any characters or any (real) scenes, just a few small non-dialogue scenes and trimmed some back-and-forth exchanges.

Hopefully I get it in the 130s or low 140s. If so, I'm calling it done cause I need to move onto other things and can't tinker with the same script forever. Especially knowing if it ever gets made, there will be plenty of people with notes at that time. So, no point trying to make it perfect for everyone now.

Making it perfect for me and great/readable for others is all that's needed.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #85
Bono

Do this pass... then do the character and scene pass.... then call it done and move on. Getting it to 135 pages if of course better than 160, but it's so close to what THEY WANT 120, you deserve it to yourself to actually finish it.

Also that will HELP YOU with your next script by seeing that you can easily tell your stories in less pages.

It's not a waste of time at all.

In my opinion it's unreadable if it's 121 pages or more.

Also you're editing it, you're not rewriting it. There is a difference. You'll know it when you get rid of characters you love, lines you love, scenes you love and cry then 10 days later you read it and you forgot they were even part of the script.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:28 AM   #86
Merrick
User

Appreciate the insights! I did two quick edit passes and got it down to 139. But I'm going to cap it there.

I realize I'm still over the recommended maximum. The script moves faster than I would wish, but I'm still happy with it.

At this point, I'm just hoping it's about the quality of the writing. So, I'll let you know if anything happens with it.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #87
Bono

I'll let it go after this, but also should point out sometimes when we want to direct things, we forget to put on our writer hats. When you say it reads too fast -- you're talking about the pace of the film I feel not the length, page count. Because we've all seen movies that were 90 minutes and felt like 3 hours and ones that felt like 15 minutes it was so fast paced.

So keep that in mind too. Right now you just want people to read the script. You can always make it longer (add back in the stuff you love) after it sells or you decide to make it. But you won't want to make it longer because every page costs$$$$.

good luck.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #88
Merrick
User

You're right. I guess what I mean is the writing like zoom zoom zoom, but the film is not meant to be like that, so it feels like a bit of a cheat. That said, it can of course be directed at a slower clip. So, this is what I'm going with.

Thanks again for all the advice! And I'm really enjoying Fade In. Easy to use, worth the purchase.