Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

They did their job. Proved TO YOU that you are a good writer -- I think doing well in those contests can validate you that way, but yes the scripts merit and how far they go or you go --- is up to you.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #12
finalact4
Member
 
finalact4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,343
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAZluvr View Post
Thank you, FA4!

One script made the quarterfinals at Nicholl, which was a first for me. Of course, I queried like mad after that, and am still doing so even though the finalists have been announced. (This same script went nowhere at Austin, so there's that whole subjectivity thing rearing it's head.)

The other script made the top 10% at Nicholl and 2nd Round at Austin. Certainly not the upper echelon, but it was at least *something* to include in a query.

Thanks for your perspective on querying vs. read rate. Eight queries and two read requests sounds enviable, especially given the current climate. Based on all I've read on DDP, I keep my expectations low, try as hard as I can, and when I fail, try again. Good luck with those reads you got. Hopefully no ghosting.
congratulations. and you're right subjectivity is a bitch.

keep keepin on...
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #13
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
They did their job. Proved TO YOU that you are a good writer -- I think doing well in those contests can validate you that way, but yes the scripts merit and how far they go or you go --- is up to you.
Yup! Now's the time to hustle!
__________________
Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #14
ZAZluvr
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 7
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Thanks to all who contributed their thoughts! Very much appreciated. Onward!
ZAZluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #15
Lahlowen
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 85
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I say query the other managers at any company. I did that and got signed FYI.
Same. Sent a query about the same script to two managers at a top firm. One responded instantly requesting to read it, and asked to rep me three days later after reading two of my scripts and loving both. Ironically, the other manager's assistant responded the next day requesting to read that first script as well, lol. By then I was already with their firm though, so...
Lahlowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #16
ZAZluvr
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 7
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Thanks, Lahlowen, for sharing your experience.

Just to add a coda to my original post: After discussing my situation with a couple members via DM, I decided to not contact other managers at that particular company. The company is well-known, but small (i.e., it has only a handful of managers). Being turned down by one manager this time, and then immediately approaching that manager's colleague could be perceived as disrespectful, even if I mean no disrespect.

Since I'm new to all this, and like many here, playing the long game, I'd rather play it safe in this situation, and take calculated risks in others.

I *do* plan to re-approach that small company. When I do, I might even contact a different manager there. But for now... laying low.
ZAZluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #17
Lahlowen
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 85
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAZluvr View Post
Thanks, Lahlowen, for sharing your experience.

Just to add a coda to my original post: After discussing my situation with a couple members via DM, I decided to not contact other managers at that particular company. The company is well-known, but small (i.e., it has only a handful of managers). Being turned down by one manager this time, and then immediately approaching that manager's colleague could be perceived as disrespectful, even if I mean no disrespect.

Since I'm new to all this, and like many here, playing the long game, I'd rather play it safe in this situation, and take calculated risks in others.

I *do* plan to re-approach that small company. When I do, I might even contact a different manager there. But for now... laying low.
Nothing at all wrong with giving it a breather and circling back later, yep. Sounds like a good plan.
Lahlowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #18
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Give it some time, but it's amazing how sometimes the top guys or gals can get something and the junior manager is more nervous to sign people. So the lower people can work against you too...

I really would love to know the answer to this btw.... when anyone interviews a rep how that works. Because at agencies they all seem to work like ants together and I can't even tell how much they care about 1 client when so many of them share.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #19
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Give it some time, but it's amazing how sometimes the top guys or gals can get something and the junior manager is more nervous to sign people. So the lower people can work against you too...

I really would love to know the answer to this btw.... when anyone interviews a rep how that works. Because at agencies they all seem to work like ants together and I can't even tell how much they care about 1 client when so many of them share.
Isn't it similar to what they're looking for? *Someone who you can imagine having a relationship with for several years?*

I'd say it's also...

Who has what sounds to you like the best strategy moving forward.

Who is most excited about your work.

Who's made the most sales lately.

Who's confident they can get you in rooms.

Who wants to go out with THIS script not the NEXT ONE.

Etc...

How many boxes does each rep tick?

Or did I misunderstand your question?
__________________
Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #20
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Opinion Needed About Querying Managers at the Same Company

I was saying that the top managers may be more likely to say yes to a good writer they think they can develop versus junior manager who are looking for homerun clients. Now it can be opposite too with low level person being more willing to take a chance... but there is something to being the owner or partner and not afraid to make a decision.

The way great scripts can get bad coverage because if the lower level person recommends a spec their boss doesn’t like they get more crap than just saying no to everything.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker