Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What genre do you write?

What genre do you write? Nudist Westerns. Anything with horses, 10 gallon hats, spurs and six guns (and nothing else) I find exciting.

Actually, action & thrillers in all of their various forms.

Why did you pick that one? It picked me. The kinds of stories I loved as a kid: both books and movies. Part of writing is playing Let's Pretend, so I get to pretend I'm a tough guy (I'm a wimp), that I'm brave (not so), that I'm coordinated (I'm a geek), that I'm cool (not at all). I get to be like James Bond! While typing! The thriller side is similar - I'm a big fan of Hitchcock and DePalma and Clouzot (etc) and love movies with suspense and twists... and would love to be the new version of John Michael Hayes or Narcejac-Boileau (or Don Westlake)... or just the current version of me but writing those things. Those genres are fun to write.

Do you stick to a genre or bounce around? I'm currently writing a family film about a girl and her horse, and I've written a family film that spawned 4 sequels. But it looks like movie #20 will be an action spec - should know on Monday. And the specs onb the To Write list are a mix of action & chase thrillers this year - with a sci fi spy script in the mix.

Main thing I try to do is have fun. Play Let's Pretend and go on an adventure.

- Bill
    Last edited by wcmartell; 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM.
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by reddery View Post
      I found this very telling at the same mysterious
      elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
        elaborate?
        I was just exploiting your typo for comedic results. You typed Big Pretty i.e. you're a -- Big -- Pretty -- Horror junkie. e.g. Kevin Smith

maybe English isn't you're language
        But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
          What genre do you write? Nudist Westerns. Anything with horses, 10 gallon hats, spurs and six guns (and nothing else) I find exciting.
          I think you're in the wrong part of the Video Store.

wait.

Are you in a video store or is it a... well are there little booths in the back that you use tokens to play these 'Movies'?
          But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

I don't really have a favorite; I enjoy them all.

So far, I've written action/adventure, comedy/drama, romantic comedy, horror, thriller, animated family, teen SF comedy & crime.
            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Comedy and sci-fi. Usually not at the same time... although I've tried.

Comment

I started with comedy/rom-coms - my rom-coms were slightly anti-formula (maybe a tinge darkish). Four of those did get studios reads when I was with my ex-rep.

But it was around the same time as the explosion of bromances and though I tried -- I wasn't "feeling it" with male lead comedies. And I came to the decision my sense of humor wasn't in fashion anymore.

Although I still have about a half dozen more comedy & rom-com concepts in various stages of completion... they've been shelved.

I always had a desire to try my hand at thriller so that's what I'm working on now.
                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                  Comedy. I attempted one action/thriller awhile back, and but I couldn't keep a consistent tone... because I have the urge to go for laughs with every scene.

Same here. I wrote a murder spree scene and then had the shooter take a piss on his victims, one of whom had only played dead.

It's a comedy. Now.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I write fantasy family adventure stuff - think Harry Potter or The Incredibles or The Labyrinth.

I guess I write that stuff because those tend to be my favorite kinds of movies.

I tried a few other things as I was learning the form - a straight coming of age drama and a rom com...but I never really got excited for those stories.

Comment

What's genre mean?
                      "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
                      AYN RAND

Comment

coming of age stories, mixed with a little fantasy and a lot of post-modernism.

the last one was called CIAA: The Webseries and stars COCKLEY the Homo Alien in a buddy comedy with Kirk the truck driver slash former special ops hero.

There's a lot of "can you drive a stick shift" "what does a stiff shaft have to do with terrorists on the Las Vegas Strip" type action banter

Comment

Originally posted by reddery View Post
                          I was just exploiting your typo for comedic results. You typed Big Pretty i.e. you're a -- Big -- Pretty -- Horror junkie. e.g. Kevin Smith

maybe English isn't you're language
                          I don't own any legal rights to it, no. ...and I don't think I'm the physical manifestation of it either.

Comment

Comedy. I've dabbled in crime, sci-fi, but when I do, my rep asks why I'm wasting both of our time.

I wrote a contained thriller mostly as a favor to a director friend a year or two back, which it's looking like he may actually get produced.

Comment

Action. I bounce between sci/fi, war, and police.
                              www.silvercop.com
                              If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                                surprised there aren't more comedy writers.
                                People tell me that my writing is a comedy. Does that count?

Comment

Working...
                                X