No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Red Tails

Originally posted by NoirDigits View Post
    Are there statistics of audience makeup by ethnicity in relation to a film's gross? I'm asking honestly. It'd be preferable to saying "white audiences don't watch this" and "black audiences watch that"
    There's a lot of exit polling data floating around the net. It's usually about how a film breaks down by gender or age, but occasionally you'll see what percentage of the audience was African-American or Latino.

Nielsen tracks TV viewing by race, gender and ethnicity. It's not hard to find their reports online.

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
    No, it's not like that. It's not like that at all. I never asserted that race played an issue in the financial productivity of a movie. The O.P. did. You can't say that "White people don't support Black movies", proceed to blame every financial failure of a Black film on a lack of White support, and then claim that when one is successful, it's only because of the Black audience.

That's absolutely a case of having it both ways. If it tanks, it's because White People wouldn't go see it. If it succeeds, it's because Black people went to see it, but White people didn't.

You continue to argue in FAVOR of my point. I was the one who originally said that Black films *can* succeed financially. Thanks for listing some more to add to my initial list.

However, the difference is, I'm not asserting that White people don't support those movies.
    There seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere here. In general, white audiences are reluctant to see films/tv with predominantly black casts. Everyone has a theory: racism, lack of empathy, otherness, etc. Hollywood understands this and produces lower budget films that can be profitable primarily off black moviegoers. If THINK LIKE A MAN bombs, nobody is going to blame white people for not showing up.

This discussion is less about films that have already been made and more about the films some of us would like to see.

Ultimately, the issue is not with Joe Moviegoer but Hollywood. If the execs were more open to casting minorities in lead roles and cutting down on stereotypes, this reluctance would eventually fade away.
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Ultimately, the issue is not with Joe Moviegoer but Hollywood. If the execs were more open to casting minorities in lead roles and cutting down on stereotypes, this reluctance would eventually fade away.
      The truth.
      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

stuff:
        i'm pretty sure the release date had something to do with the proximity of MLK holiday and i'm guessing the theaters will still be screening it in feb for black history month.

there is also the docudrama factor here. i'm thinking some people are more forgiving of quality when it's a true story. we see this in sports flicks a lot.

another "truth" -- the industry rarely takes the risk of putting big budget money into all black casts flicks, so there's really very little to base their fears on... except preconceived and/or assumed racism from the potential audience.

35 years ago ha! -- nearly everyone black and white was glued to the television for a solid week watching the roots mini-series. it was revolutionary technically b/c of the length of consecutive days it aired AND b/c it was nearly all black. and don't forget that docudrama factor.

Comment

No, it's not like that. It's not like that at all. I never asserted that race played an issue in the financial productivity of a movie.

You said "If your assertion is that "Red Tails" did well financially chiefly because of Black audiences, then that would imply that previous Black films failed because of a paucity of Black viewers, not White." <~~~ was this not asserting that race played an issue or made a difference in the financial productivity of white and black audiences supporting a black film?

The O.P. did. You can't say that "White people don't support Black movies", proceed to blame every financial failure of a Black film on a lack of White support, and then claim that when one is successful, it's only because of the Black audience.

Here's where I'm confused because you're putting words in her mouth to support what you think she means. Her thread started off by asking:
          why is it, really that white people will not support all black casts?
          I thought it was pretty clear. Why do Black people go to see all White casted films (because there's not really a choice) versus it being the opposite way (because they have a plethora of choices). Where is she or anybody in the thread blaming the financial failure for every Black film on the lack of support of White people? Most of the debate was about all black casted movies and why they don't get greenlit in the first place.
          "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

A lot of my students went to see this movie because it had explosions in it.

They are Latino.

So plug that into your theorems.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
              A lot of my students went to see this movie because it had explosions in it.

They are Latino.

So plug that into your theorems.
              I believe the children are the future.

Comment

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...not-back-.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dock View Post
                  You said "If your assertion is that "Red Tails" did well financially chiefly because of Black audiences, then that would imply that previous Black films failed because of a paucity of Black viewers, not White." <~~~ was this not asserting that race played an issue or made a difference in the financial productivity of white and black audiences supporting a black film?

Here's where I'm confused because you're putting words in her mouth to support what you think she means. Her thread started off by asking:

I thought it was pretty clear. Why do Black people go to see all White casted films (because there's not really a choice) versus it being the opposite way (because they have a plethora of choices). Where is she or anybody in the thread blaming the financial failure for every Black film on the lack of support of White people? Most of the debate was about all black casted movies and why they don't get greenlit in the first place.

I honestly don't know if you're serious, or just straight trolling at this point...

I'M not asserting that race plays an issue in the financial success of a movie. YOU are. I'm simply stating that by YOUR OWN logic, if this is YOUR assertion, then it would mean that previous Black films failed because of a paucity of Black audience members.

How is stating "Why won't White people support all Black casts?" NOT blaming the financial failures of those movies on White People?

Again, I think you might just be trolling (accidental trolling?)

Comment

I honestly don't know if you're serious, or just straight trolling at this point...

I'M not asserting that race plays an issue in the financial success of a movie. YOU are. I'm simply stating that by YOUR OWN logic, if this is YOUR assertion, then it would mean that previous Black films failed because of a paucity of Black audience members.
                    So now it's MY logic? Last post it was the OP's logic. I never said anything about whites not supporting black films at all in this thread. I'm not trolling, I'm hardly ever on DD threads, you're just back pedaling on your statements at this point but it honestly doesn't matter because I don't even think you know what your point is anymore. Even Furious Anjel tried to correct you from putting words in the OP's statement, but you've twisted the point of her comment to fit your own rant when you added the about the RT ratings.

You're entitled to your own opinion. I never was trying to change it, I just wanted to know where you were coming from (which still doesn't make sense but whatever) I'm done, it's not that serious.

Comment

I saw RT Sunday and was pleased with the film. The crowd in attendence was honestly split right down the middle (blacks and whites), and most even clapped once the credits began to roll.

Comment

So now it's MY logic? Last post it was the OP's logic. I never said anything about whites not supporting black films at all in this thread. I'm not trolling, I'm hardly ever on DD threads, you're just back pedaling on your statements at this point but it honestly doesn't matter because I don't even think you know what your point is anymore. Even Furious Anjel tried to correct you from putting words in the OP's statement, but you've twisted the point of her comment to fit your own rant when you added the about the RT ratings.

You're entitled to your own opinion. I never was trying to change it, I just wanted to know where you were coming from (which still doesn't make sense but whatever) I'm done, it's not that serious.
                        If you're defending her opinion, doesn't it become yours as well?

Comment

If you're defending her opinion, doesn't it become yours as well?
                          I didn't defend it, I re-quoted it for you since you had such a hard time understanding it.

Comment

I didn't defend it, I re-quoted it for you since you had such a hard time understanding it.
                            I understood it perfectly, it seems that you were the one with difficulty understanding it.

Comment

Working...
                            X