Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Top Films of 2013

Not having seen the latest films from the likes of Miyazaki, Coen Brothers, Jonze, Moodysson and Scorcese, it's impossible for me to write up my top films of the year yet.

But so far, for me the most transcending movie experience of 2013 was Gravity. Brilliant film, in pretty much every aspect.

Comment

Dallas Buyers Club
      12 Years A Slave

Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club) Best Actor, with Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years A Slave) a close second.
      Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club) Best Supporting Actor
      Story Structure 1
      Story Structure 2
      Story Structure 3

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy View Post
        Dallas Buyers Club
        I'm currently reading the script. I'm only on page 20, but I really like what I've read so far.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
          You're not really getting any extra points for that. The exchange happens in the beginning of the 3rd act, and you are SUPPOSED to know something is wrong with the reaction to the word "Maze". It's the only reason why Jackman visits the place and asks the question - To see if there is a reaction - and that's why the film makes a moment out of the reaction. The entire audience is supposed to go "Oh, person XXXX is a lot more involved in this than we thought...".
          All it did was make me identify the kidnapper with a lot of time left in the story and other suspects still being explored - essentially killing the suspense for the rest of the movie for me. But I guess it's possible most people may not have picked up on it.

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
          Not having seen the latest films from the likes of Miyazaki, Coen Brothers, Jonze, Moodysson and Scorcese, it's impossible for me to write up my top films of the year yet. But so far, for me the most transcending movie experience of 2013 was Gravity. Brilliant film, in pretty much every aspect.
          Agree. I don't get the argument on here that without its visual effects, Gravity wouldn't be one of the best films of the year. That's like saying that without its strong acting ensemble, American Hustle wouldn't be one of the best films, or without its strong writing, "Her" wouldn't be either. Every film has an element about it that stands out the most; for Gravity, that happens to be its visual effects. However, the effects combined with the strong acting by Bullock/Clooney and the well-written action sequences make it the most believable space experience ever had at the movies. It was as emotionally powerful as it was visually breathtaking.
          Last edited by UpandComing; 01-04-2014, 11:56 AM.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
            All it did was make me identify the kidnapper with a lot of time left in the story and other suspects still being explored - essentially killing the suspense for the rest of the movie for me. But I guess it's possible most people may not have picked up on it.
            I was referring to your claim that you "figured out" the twist 2/3's into the movie.

The scene happens a bit over 3/4's into the movie, and the film is designed so that you figure it out in the said scene. The film pretty much spoon-feeds to you that person XXXX is involved to a great degree. Considering what that person's role has been in the film so far, it's not too hard to start connecting the dots.

After that it's more of a question of how everything is connected, what's the reason behind everything, and whether the kids can still be saved or not.

I agree that the film loses suspense on the 3rd act, but I disagree with the reasons (You can see my review on the film's own thread).

Comment

I shoulda watched the film first. hindsight= 20/20

Comment

So far 12 Years a Slave and Wolf of Wall Street have the top slots. I doubt most of the others mentioned are going to top those. I will say that Spring Breakers can sit comfortably on my worst of the year list. And I have no idea why Drinking Buddies had a spot on here either.

Looking forward to:

American Hustle
                Gravity
                Dallas Buyers Club
                Blue Jasmine

I guess I'll have a look at:

Prisoners
                Rush

And someone seriously said The Internship? For that raped by Google Corp. warm fuzzy feeling I guess...
                Hell of a Deal -- Political Film Blog

Comment

Stoker was one my favorites not yet mentioned...

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                    Stoker was one my favorites not yet mentioned...
                    Damn, I forgot about this one, even though I just bought it on DVD a couple weeks ago. Terrific film.

I didn't really "get" 12 Years a Slave. It was good, certainly, but it didn't really live up to the hype about its brutality. McQueen told the Guardian that people keep saying things like "I guess I didn't realize slavery was THAT bad!" after seeing the film, but honestly, it felt kind of mild. Hell, Django brought me closer to cringing than anything in 12 Years.

Comment

2013 was really an awful year at the movies. "the act of killing" was one of the few films that truly made a dent. but that was more like a documentary. the spanish snow white film was interesting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
                        2013 was really an awful year at the movies. "the act of killing" was one of the few films that truly made a dent.
                        I agree. 2013 was just awful.

I haven't seen "the Act of Killing." it's on my list for next movie to watch. It's the only movie (doc) I've actually heard people in my circle say, "you gotta see that"

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
                          2013 was really an awful year at the movies. "the act of killing" was one of the few films that truly made a dent. but that was more like a documentary. the spanish snow white film was interesting too.
                          I disagree that 2013 was an awful year at the movies. Also, maybe THE ACT OF KILLING was "more like a documentary" because it is a documentary.

Comment

Gotta add CAPTAIN PHILLIPS to the list.

Gripping stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                              I didn't really "get" 12 Years a Slave. It was good, certainly, but it didn't really live up to the hype about its brutality.
                              It's sad that people bought a ticket expecting that.

Who cares about brutality. It's an unflinching portrayal of one man's life story. And it was brutal. Maybe not fiction-brutal. But real-life brutal?

Really should not have been judged on those merits. "I watched this film about slavery but it wasn't brutal enough." I mean...

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                                Really should not have been judged on those merits. "I watched this film about slavery but it wasn't brutal enough." I mean...
                                I believe Django should've satisfied all the demands for brutality.
                                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Working...
                                X