Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready or Not

not normally a horror guy, the buzz on Samara Weaving's turn in this variation on The Most Dangerous Game has been good and reviews have been kind, so i gave it a shot. for the most part it's bloody fun -- macabre comedic tone. but without spoiling too much, it felt like one of those movies that fails to fully exploit the promise of its premise.

that is, if you're going to have a family of rich a'holes hunting the new bride of their prodigal son around a giant creepy estate, commit fully to that hook. instead, about halfway through when Weaving's character should be turning the tables on her pursuers . . . it takes a hard left turn into something more like Rosemary's Baby with supernatural elements. as a consequence, the ending didn't feel as strong as i think it needed to be. not a total disaster but a missed opportunity

Re: Ready or Not

It didn't do tell well at the box office. I'll probably see it this week since it will be out of the theaters probably in several weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      it felt like one of those movies that fails to fully exploit the promise of its premise.
      Yes! Was so disappointed by this. It was still pretty fun, but man it could've been a cult classic.

Comment

not normally a horror guy, the buzz on Samara Weaving's turn in this variation on The Most Dangerous Game has been good and reviews have been kind, so i gave it a shot. for the most part it's bloody fun -- macabre comedic tone. but without spoiling too much, it felt like one of those movies that fails to fully exploit the promise of its premise.

that is, if you're going to have a family of rich a'holes hunting the new bride of their prodigal son around a giant creepy estate, commit fully to that hook. instead, about halfway through when Weaving's character should be turning the tables on her pursuers . . . it takes a hard left turn into something more like Rosemary's Baby with supernatural elements. as a consequence, the ending didn't feel as strong as i think it needed to be. not a total disaster but a missed opportunity

I liked the supernatural twist a lot more than you did. I felt like it gave it more of a plausible reason why they would be hunting her. Otherwise, it seemed strange that they would just hunt the bride for a game. I am sure the writers wrestled with this. I think the movie works, mostly for the humor. I noticed that the audience was chuckling throughout the movie. What did you think about what the movie had to say about the super rich?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
          I liked the supernatural twist a lot more than you did. I felt like it gave it more of a plausible reason why they would be hunting her. Otherwise, it seemed strange that they would just hunt the bride for a game. I am sure the writers wrestled with this. I think the movie works, mostly for the humor. I noticed that the audience was chuckling throughout the movie. What did you think about what the movie had to say about the super rich?
          except then we learn that they're not even hunting her to kill her, just to . . . capture her for a sacrificial ceremony before sunrise. in which case, why not just sacrifice her from the start (we see pretty quickly how willing the family is to abandon the rules and traditions). i had a lot of questions about the whole curse thing

the class stuff was pretty toothless. kept waiting for Samara's character to take matters more into her own hands and start hunting the other family members back. that i would have cheered for. i

Comment

except then we learn that they're not even hunting her to kill her, just to . . . capture her for a sacrificial ceremony before sunrise. in which case, why not just sacrifice her from the start (we see pretty quickly how willing the family is to abandon the rules and traditions). i had a lot of questions about the whole curse thing

the class stuff was pretty toothless. kept waiting for Samara's character to take matters more into her own hands and start hunting the other family members back. that i would have cheered for. i

I think the ceremony was just tacked on the end to have an extended tension scene. Supposedly, they made a deal that they had to play this game, but as they were failing, they started to scrimp on the traditions.

I would have liked to see more of the class stuff, but it was merely alluded to here and there. The director made it sound like he was really going to dive into it, but I only heard a few quips.

Comment

Working...
            X