Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
wakupmagy
User

Default Opening scene

Rank beginner here. I'm telling the story of two couples juxtaposed against the events of WWII. I'd like to open with the traditional B/W vintage scenes of the war, cutting to color scenes of the two couples. Let's suppose this is not too cliched (which it probably is!). A) Is there something equivalent to "stock footage" one can use of the war scenes? and B) are these opening scenes rightly only the director's to choose or can the scriptwriter present his vision? Thank you so much for any responses.
wakupmagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Opening scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakupmagy View Post
Rank beginner here. I'm telling the story of two couples juxtaposed against the events of WWII. I'd like to open with the traditional B/W vintage scenes of the war, cutting to color scenes of the two couples. Let's suppose this is not too cliched (which it probably is!). A) Is there something equivalent to "stock footage" one can use of the war scenes? and B) are these opening scenes rightly only the director's to choose or can the scriptwriter present his vision? Thank you so much for any responses.
Especially in the first ten pages, backstory and "events" are less relevant that understanding who the characters themselves are. We'll get that it's WWII, what really matters is who this couple is and why we should care about them for another 90-mins or two hours.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
finalact4

Quote:
A) yes, there is probably stock footage that you can use for the war scenes. select the ones that reflect the vision and tone for the story you want to tell. here's an example of one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrGfbSXQCeM google stock video footage of ww2.

B) no, the screenplay is your domain until it is not. eg until someone buys it. use everything in your toolbox to tell a compelling story. there is only one rule-- don't be boring.

good luck.
FA4
Old 11-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
ComicBent

Any stock footage that you or anyone else uses needs to lead directly into something, hook into something, at the start of the script. Do not use stock footage as some way of saying "This takes place in WWII."

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
wakupmagy
User

Thank you! It's so kind of you guys to share the wisdom.
wakupmagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Vango
User

Script is your vision. Others add to that vision later.

Personally not a fan of stock footage in films. Actually never understood this technique and I think it's a cheap tactic that's used as a crutch in lieu of creativity. Ultimately, it takes me out of the world, and grounds me so much as if to blatantly tell me that I'm watching a movie.
Vango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
TigerFang

Quote:
The couples could be sitting in the same theater or separate theaters watching newsreels of the day. It sets and frames the period in which your story takes place. Cutting back and forth between color and black and white would be fine in that instance or those instances.

Don’t worry about whether or not things have been done before. Tell your story your way.

“The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.” — Ecclesiastes 1:9
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM   #8
Julysses
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
Any stock footage that you or anyone else uses needs to lead directly into something, hook into something, at the start of the script. Do not use stock footage as some way of saying "This takes place in WWII."
what is WW2? can you send me pictures?
Julysses is offline   Reply With Quote