X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seth Lockhart

Seth,

I'm well aware that most specs don't sell. I didn't just tumble off the turnip truck, dear.

Besides, I wasn't referring specifically to you when I made the comment about reps who might be able to land their clients meeting after meeting but can't sell their work and get them an assignment.

Kind of like the guy who can wine and dine the girl but can't get laid at the end of the night.

As we all know, money puts food on the table. Not meetings that go nowhere.

In regard to the fourth or fifth spec that you're referring to, what makes you think that a writer would come to you with the first script they ever wrote?

I'm sure some do. But most know better. They've honed their craft and are up to script number ten or more.

I've written at least twenty scripts in ten years.

But it sounds like you're saying that it's common for your clients to write six scripts after having been repped by you before they sell something. That seems weird.

Anyway, it couldn't hurt for you to tell us how many scripts you've sold. You don't have to specify the writer or the money but surely you can reveal the number of scripts that you've sold for your clients, can't you?

It's a decent question.

And one I think that all writers should ask a prospective rep.

Comment

I agree with CE re: finding a good match.

I'm not referring to anyone specifically in this thread, but I think a lot of newbie writers believe you should get with the biggest agent/agency/manager possible to start your career. I would argue that's not necessarily the case - in fact it can be counterproductive.

Comment

Originally posted by Scripted77 View Post
        I agree with CE re: finding a good match.

I'm not referring to anyone specifically in this thread, but I think a lot of newbie writers believe you should get with the biggest agent/agency/manager possible to start your career. I would argue that's not necessarily the case - in fact it can be counterproductive.
        For the record, I'm a fan of the boutique rep. One who has sold scripts and has the contacts but doesn't have a whole lot of other big name writers on their client list which results in you not getting any attention. My current agent is at a boutique agency and even then, it's hard to get any attention when other clients who have sold for more money are in their spotlight.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe79
          I hear what you're saying, CE. However, I'd say it's still best for the writer if he or she can get a manager or agent who is considerably more experienced than he/she is. Writers as you know don't just have reps for sales/writing assignments, they also have reps for overall career guidance.

(Nothing in this post is a knock at you Seth, so don't take offense).

Also, assuming a new writer's scripts are good, he/she will need to take into careful consideration who the new manager is and what he/she has done. I've known people living in hostels in Los Angeles who have claimed to be managers or producers. Also, there are scam artists who talk writers into making submissions, and then come up with nonsensical fees that they charge the gullible. You really want to make sure a new agent or manager has industry background and connections, at least. So I do think asking a rep how many scripts you've sold is a far one, unless he/she is a new agent at a top agency (where the name of the agency speaks for itself and you know they have the contacts).

I will add that I've also known writers in Los Angeles who have had managers for years, one had one for up to 8 years and still no sale. I didn't read the writers scripts, so I have no idea whether it was bad writing, a lousy manager, or both. (though if the writing wasn't there a good manager should have been able to point it out to the writer that his scripts needed serious work).

Basically, I think Master of Horror was just saying be careful. Or, another way you can put it is trust, but verify Also, he is someone who has gotten his own sales and writing assignments. As such, he doesn't need a newbie agent at this point, he's at the game where he needs a power agent who can take him to the majors.
          Exactly.

Comment

yep, john. agree with you as well - but i don't think it's mutually exclusive with my post. if that makes sense.

Comment

Re: Seth Lockhart -- TitleDoctors

Seth, regarding TitleDoctors, you originally claimed that the company is the first branding agency to actually name major motion pictures and TV pilots. Here is exactly what you said in an earlier post about it...

"Launched TitleDoctors (www.titledoctors.com), the first branding agency to name major motion pictures and TV pilots. Clients: New Line, Buena Vista, Dreamworks, ABC Family, and growing.-

My skepticism was about the fact that you said the company actually names the movies and TV pilots. What I said in my post is that I believe production companies and studios may use outside services to conduct research (focus groups) to test the effectiveness/potential of titles - but I doubt that they go to outside companies that will actually come up with the actual titles. That was my point.

In your recent rebuttal to my point, you said the following:

"TitleDoctors has conducted title exploration and research on 9 major motion pictures since launching just 6 months ago. Questionable? Bonafied baby. 10 years of naming brands for major corporations from the parent company Semantix, gives the company the experience to work with studios as a marketing tool.-

Sorry to say that my skepticism on this point remains, because you first said you "actually name- - then you subsequently changed that to conduct title exploration and research. They're two very different things. I'm in advertising and I know that agencies actually create campaigns, then research firms are often hired to test their potential effectiveness with consumers in their target market. With that said, which is it for TitleDoctors? Have you actually titled movies and TV shows - or done research to test the effectiveness/potential of working titles?

By the way, I'm really not trying to offend you here. I am truly fascinated by your claim that prodcos and studios hire outside firms to come up with titles for their movies and TV shows. Thanks in advance for your response.

Comment

Re: Little Problem

Hey Seth, we've never met and I have no problem with you, your companies, your goals or anything. Also, if I had to offer an opinion of what you are doing solely based on what I have read on this thread, I would say you have been a "plus" for new writers (at least the ones who have shared in this thread.) but...

I have a tiny beef with your constant references to showing up in the trades. For some reason, in my humble opinion, it makes you sound a little too eager to impress. I was in the trades once and I told everybody who would listen (and even a few who wouldn't)... Later I felt a little "cheap", like I should have acted like I had been there before. Hey but that's just me.

Good luck with your businesses and much continued success. The fact that you are reading and evaluating all of this newbie work is amazing and beneficial to the masses. Stay on it.

Comment

You guys need to cut Seth some slack so he can finish reading my script.

Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of saleable screenplays. WHO WILL JOIN ME!

Comment

Maybe he just reads the titles.

Comment

Someone please show me the incentive for a manager to come to DD and say he's willing to look at scripts. So far two that I have seen have done so, and both have become punching bags. I'm not looking for a manager, so I'm not brown nosing, I'm just sayin'.

I'm amazed at all the posting and recrimination about a manager not getting back to you after you sent them the script. Really.
                      If someone doesn't respond to the script you sent, then they are like 99 per cent of the other managers and agents out there. It's doesn't mean they are bad people, and it isn't a condemnation of your writing, or of you. You took a chance that you'd wow them, you didn't, so now find someone that will be wowed by your script. Move on.

Just my .02.

Comment

Didn't it take the sale of ARMORED to put Dan Farah on the map? Because that's all it really takes, no?
                        -- Another Writer

Comment

this is my last post on this, too.

as i mentioned I spoke several times with Seth.

professional guy, smart thoughts, respectful.

i cannot say one bad thing about him...and I actually had contact with him on a professional level, which many of you have not.

he's not out here saying that he has 2 dozen sales under his belt, trying to misrepresent himself.

he's simply trying to use the many contacts he has to get scripts into the hands of people who buy them.

and I'm confident he will pop. when..who knows. when will any of us pop?

seriously, guys. if you're trying to discredit him as a manager - you're barking up the wrong tree.

I've been contacted by agents who actually have LIED. yes, LIED...about having a sale.

This man hasn't lied about anything. He's just a hussler trying to hussle his butt to a sale. That's the kind of guy you need.

That's the kind of guys that Bender & Spink probably were before they were Benderspink.

and if your manager gets you a ton of meetings, and you haven't gotten anything from it. guess what? it isn't your manager's fault.

they've done their job. it's our job to wow them at the meeting, win the pitch and get the assignment. it's their job to get us in the door and coach us through the process.

s

Comment

Considering this thread is now amazingly seven pages long... what Santino said.

People are just beating a dead horse of a subject at this point. I won't lock this just yet, but if you have any more questions please just PM or email Seth at this point.

Yes, the forums are here for discussions and we love to see people asking & answering questions, but at a certain point we gotta say enough is enough for certain threads. Seriously.
                            Will
                            Done Deal Pro
                            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Is it bad of me to ask, just totally out of honest curiosity, what films Seths' company has named?

Comment

Originally posted by santino2699 View Post
                                this is my last post on this, too.

as i mentioned I spoke several times with Seth.

professional guy, smart thoughts, respectful.

i cannot say one bad thing about him...and I actually had contact with him on a professional level, which many of you have not.

he's not out here saying that he has 2 dozen sales under his belt, trying to misrepresent himself.

he's simply trying to use the many contacts he has to get scripts into the hands of people who buy them.

and I'm confident he will pop. when..who knows. when will any of us pop?

seriously, guys. if you're trying to discredit him as a manager - you're barking up the wrong tree.

I've been contacted by agents who actually have LIED. yes, LIED...about having a sale.

This man hasn't lied about anything. He's just a hussler trying to hussle his butt to a sale. That's the kind of guy you need.

That's the kind of guys that Bender & Spink probably were before they were Benderspink.

and if your manager gets you a ton of meetings, and you haven't gotten anything from it. guess what? it isn't your manager's fault.

they've done their job. it's our job to wow them at the meeting, win the pitch and get the assignment. it's their job to get us in the door and coach us through the process.

s
                                Like I've said before, I think Seth is just fine. What I don't get is people obsessing over one guy. There are lots and lots of guys just like Seth in town--guys that have some experiences and contacts that, with the right focus and drive, can take them and their clients to the next level. There must be thousands of "Seths" out there.

So why do people lock on to this one guy? Is it just because they don't know the other couple thousand guys out there and they feel they need to discuss "what's happening" in the business--that it gives them a sense of being a part of things? I don't know, but it's a real waste of time, IMO, people who are trying to chase this stuff down would be better served by doing something to further their career.

Comment

Working...
                                X