Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #81
LauriD

Default Re: Best spec agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post

And I'm still debating whether to include all the crazy long-winded explanations for why I only like to work on spec.

As others have said, don't put the cart before the horse. And I can't see any possible upside for advertising this in a query.
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #82
ChristopherCurtis
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
Well, that settles it. Thanks Craig!

That's exactly my intention. I already started working on my query letter. I'm hoping that a high BL score will be a part of it, but the Amazon wins will definitely be featured.

And I'm still debating whether to include all the crazy long-winded explanations for why I only like to work on spec.

Or maybe I'll just provide a link to this thread.

I didn't realize you were able to shop your script around if it's at amazon studios? Or am misunderstanding something?

Also, Craig M, or anyone for that matter. I need exact specifics on what exactly deems a "spec", I get that its written on speculation, looking and hoping for an end buyer/suitor. However, it's still an original concept/story/script just as someone who may be "hired" to write it correct? the only difference being they are hired (paid, commissioned) to write their original script which the employer/studio then owns and not referred to as a spec.

I'm also deducing that most "specs" are people like me,... who wrote a script(s), and have no representation whatsoever, but intend to find an agent or manager who will then help them sell their spec and/or do it on their own through various marketing methods and strategies that are out there. correct?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #83
Cinemaas
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
I didn't realize you were able to shop your script around if it's at amazon studios? Or am misunderstanding something?

Also, Craig M, or anyone for that matter. I need exact specifics on what exactly deems a "spec", I get that its written on speculation, looking and hoping for an end buyer/suitor. However, it's still an original concept/story/script just as someone who may be "hired" to write it correct? the only difference being they are hired (paid, commissioned) to write their original script which the employer/studio then owns and not referred to as a spec.

I'm also deducing that most "specs" are people like me,... who wrote a script(s), and have no representation whatsoever, but intend to find an agent or manager who will then help them sell their spec and/or do it on their own through various marketing methods and strategies that are out there. correct?
A SPEC is anything written with no gauruntee of payment. If a studio hires me to write a script based off a pitch, it's not a spec, because money has been gaurunteed for at least the first draft.

To my knowledge, many established screenwriters do continually write material on spec, while the vast majority of their income might come from other things like pitches and assignments.
Cinemaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #84
Craig Mazin
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
You seem to have it right. A "spec sale" is the sale of pre-existing literary material to a studio (almost always a screenplay).

However, you can also sell a pitch, which is not a spec (no literary material), and then get paid money to write the screenplay. That's still considered an "original" for the purposes of the guild contract and all that goes along with it, but it's not a spec as we use the term.
Craig Mazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #85
C.C.Baxter

There's also a career path writing specs for modest budget films ($500,000-$2 million budget movies). Can make $10,000-40,000 per script. Non-guild so no residuals unless they actually pay on the couple of points you'll get offered.

Know several writers doing 2 or 3 of these a year. Lot of $1,500 options and finger crossing. But lower hanging fruit than being 1 of 20 doing sweepstakes pitching for a big assignment gig. Thousands more of the low budget films getting made each year. Can live anywhere and do this.

Or just go produce the film yourself at a super modest budget. Write something that can be shot cheap.

Gary should do what he's passionate about doing. If he likes doing original material and that's his best work, pursue that.

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/
C.C.Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #86
Hamboogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C.Baxter View Post
There's also a career path writing specs for modest budget films ($500,000-$2 million budget movies). Can make $10,000-40,000 per script. Non-guild so no residuals unless they actually pay on the couple of points you'll get offered.

Know several writers doing 2 or 3 of these a year. Lot of $1,500 options and finger crossing. But lower hanging fruit than being 1 of 20 doing sweepstakes pitching for a big assignment gig. Thousands more of the low budget films getting made each year. Can live anywhere and do this.

Or just go produce the film yourself at a super modest budget. Write something that can be shot cheap.

Gary should do what he's passionate about doing. If he likes doing original material and that's his best work, pursue that.
If you get 2 or 3 options, that means $3,000 to $4,500 a year and crossed fingers. I'm sure that you can live anywhere and do this. But there are very few places in the world where you can live on $3,000 a year.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #87
C.C.Baxter

Ha. Right.

I meant you can live anywhere and sell non union specs. No need to live in also Angeles because you aren't going around town pitching.

Some people also have day jobs to pay the bills. Writing income is supplemental.

I never hear gurus or boards say, "99.99% of you will never write for a major studio. But here's something you can actually accomplish. Write a genre spec that can be shot for a modest budget and go sell it."

Could also be useful to catch a first break and then try to move up the ladder.

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/
C.C.Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #88
Craig Mazin
Regular

For those interested, John and I went through the spec stats for 2012, including agents, studios and agencies as they breakdown across sales.

That podcast will be up on Tuesday.
Craig Mazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #89
kenp
User

Craig,

Thanks.

--K
kenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #90
DangoForth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mazin View Post
For those interested, John and I went through the spec stats for 2012, including agents, studios and agencies as they breakdown across sales.
That podcast will be up on Tuesday.
aaaaaaaaand how quickly will Stuart have it transcribed so that the multitude of viewers for this thread can all immediately rush to download the text and crash the site?
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote