No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black List - Any Success Stories Yet?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently hosting a few scripts on The Black List's new service for unproduced writers. I got one review back - with a score of 6 out of 10 - but I've read that you're only likely to get notice with a 7 and up, so I'm crossing my fingers for the others.

Was just wondering - has anyone else lucked out so far? By that, I mean, has anyone gotten a score of 7 or higher, shortly followed by inclusion in the weekly e-mail sent out to the industry professionals, shortly followed by contact from those professionals? If so, what was your score, and how many people have contacted you? Did you obtain representation/a sale/an option as a result?

It's been about two months since the service launched, and I know it is still kinda early, but I'm just curious to know if there have been any success stories on here yet. Would also like the opportunity to live vicariously through you

Thanks!
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Re: Black List - Any Success Stories Yet?

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently hosting a few scripts on The Black List's new service for unproduced writers. I got one review back - with a score of 6 out of 10 - but I've read that you're only likely to get notice with a 7 and up, so I'm crossing my fingers for the others.

Was just wondering - has anyone else lucked out so far? By that, I mean, has anyone gotten a score of 7 or higher, shortly followed by inclusion in the weekly e-mail sent out to the industry professionals, shortly followed by contact from those professionals? If so, what was your score, and how many people have contacted you? Did you obtain representation/a sale/an option as a result?

It's been about two months since the service launched, and I know it is still kinda early, but I'm just curious to know if there have been any success stories on here yet. Would also like the opportunity to live vicariously through you

Thanks!
    Yeah, one. McCarthy by a 'Kremlin' - he posts here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
      Yeah, one. McCarthy by a 'Kremlin' - he posts here.
      Thanks; heard about him....

Comment

Kremin was a Blackl List insider, not a "newly discovered" or "unknown" writer. It looks like the game was rigged from the beginning. And now BL is getting articles in Wired and The Wall Street Journal, so the business will grow exponentially, with most of the writers throwing their money away.
        The big winner here is -- Franklin Leonard. After getting laid off from Will Smith's production company and being unemployed, he has come up with the greatest get rich quick scheme of modern times. There are more than 5,300 scripts being hosted now. At $25 a month, that's $132,500 a month. If 20% of those went for reviews at $50 and we know he's paying a paltry $25 for his reviews, that's another $26,500 profit in his pocket -- so far.
        I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank.
        Assuming Franklin has an attrition rate of about 25-30%, but also continues to sign on new writers from his massive PR efforts, he will make $1 million this year -- way, way out of proportion to the real value he is delivering for the few lucky writers he breaks in -- assuming there will be any more.
        He'll make 5 or 10 times what he made working for Will Smith. Is that fair? is that justified?
        Reason: In a GOOD year for specs, maybe three or four scripts by new/unknown writers will sell. And in my opinion, based partly on my own experience, if a script is good enough to sell, it's good enough to get noticed by reps and producers without paying anybody money -- and I live 3,000 miles from Hollywood.
        But the other fact is that 5,295 of the 5,300 scripts hosted will never go anywhere. The people who paid might as well have bought a lottery ticket.
        Calls to mind the old saying "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
          Kremin was a Blackl List insider, not a "newly discovered" or "unknown" writer. It looks like the game was rigged from the beginning. And now BL is getting articles in Wired and The Wall Street Journal, so the business will grow exponentially, with most of the writers throwing their money away.
          The big winner here is -- Franklin Leonard. After getting laid off from Will Smith's production company and being unemployed, he has come up with the greatest get rich quick scheme of modern times. There are more than 5,300 scripts being hosted now. At $25 a month, that's $132,500 a month. If 20% of those went for reviews at $50 and we know he's paying a paltry $25 for his reviews, that's another $26,500 profit in his pocket -- so far.
          Assuming Franklin has an attrition trate of ab out 25-30%, he'll make $1 million this year -- way, way out of proportion to the real value he is delivering for the few lucky writers he breaks in -- assuming there will be any more.
          Reason: In a GOOD year for specs, maybe three or four scripts by new/unknown writers will sell. And in my opinion, based partly on my own experience, if a script is good enough to sell, it's good enough to get noticed by reps and producers without paying anybody money -- and I live 3,000 miles from Hollywood.
          But the other fact is that 5,295 of the 5,300 scripts hosted will never go anywhere. The people whp paid might as well have bought a lottery ticket.
          You're just an expert on everything, aren't you?
          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Kremin was a Blackl List insider, not a "newly discovered" or "unknown" writer.
            He went through hundreds of script's as a reader, learning a heap of useful information along the way. He's not an insider, but he's also not an outsider.

I wanna see success from a writer with no connection to the industry whatsoever. And I mean NONE. Like some pastry chef from Idaho who writes on the side. Until then, I'll be a little wary.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Assuming Franklin has an attrition rate of about 25-30%, but also continues to sign on new writers from his massive PR efforts, he will make $1 million this year -- way, way out of proportion to the real value he is delivering for the few lucky writers he breaks in -- assuming there will be any more.
              He'll make 5 or 10 times what he made working for Will Smith. Is that fair? is that justified?
              But the other fact is that 5,295 of the 5,300 scripts hosted will never go anywhere. The people who paid might as well have bought a lottery ticket.
              Hey there, regarding some of your criticisms:

1) That the system was "rigged" in favor of the McCarthy writer - Although the first touted success used to work at the Black List, I think the likelihood of a rigging is very unlikely. The Bitter Script Reader does a very good job of explaining why: http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspo...-with-caa.html (scroll down)

2) That this is merely a get-rich quick scheme that will not help writers - I think you are judging this service a bit too harshly (and quickly, as it has only been around for only about two months). Yeah, it stands to make a lot of money, but it provides a lot of advantages that are not available through other channels:

a. Exposure - usually producers obtain information about new writers through passive means (i.e., sitting back and getting query letters in the mail). With this service they can actively seek out scripts in the genres they are looking for, requiring less effort on the part of the writer. In the two weeks I've been hosting my scripts, I've already gotten several impressions and a few downloads. That's more possible industry eyes on my script than I would get through other means.

b. Cheaper reads - you can get script reviews from the site from professional readers for $50 - I know the actual reviews aren't that detailed, but this is still much cheaper than most of the coverage services out there.

c. Promotion - if you get good enough reviews, Franklin will notify the industry professionals of your script in his weekly e-mail. This is basically like placing in a contest - except you don't have to wait for one time of the year for the opportunity. And you don't have to be a winner or finalist to luck out; if your script is good, its gets promoted. You say that using this service is like buying a lottery ticket, but I think the odds of success here are better than with many other avenues, including contests.

You also said: "And in my opinion, based partly on my own experience, if a script is good enough to sell, it's good enough to get noticed by reps and producers without paying anybody money." I'm sorry, but, the only way to get noticed by reps and producers as a new writer (out of the thousands out there) is by utilizing an avenue that will cost some kind of money - whether it's entering a contest, attending a pitchfest, or utilizing an online pitching service such as Virtual Pitchfest. That's just the way it is if you don't have a manager, agent, or some useful connection.

BTW, there are actually closer to 2,000 scripts being hosted on the site now; the 5,457 figure currently on the site consists mostly of scripts that previously made it on the Black List and were just entered in the database.

Regardless of the odds of getting discovered, I see the service as a welcome additional channel for breaking into the industry; one of several options writers can try. Users can just quit if they feel it is not providing enough value for them. I would stop obsessing over how much money it will make and be thankful for the extra opportunity.

P.S. Although it may sound like it from this lengthy defense, I don't work for Mr. Leonard/The Black List. I'm just a consumer who does meticulous research before spending money on a service, and have found this to be a worthy investment - at least for a month or two

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                He went through hundreds of script's as a reader, learning a heap of useful information along the way. He's not an insider, but he's also not an outsider.

I wanna see success from a writer with no connection to the industry whatsoever. And I mean NONE. Like some pastry chef from Idaho who writes on the side. Until then, I'll be a little wary.
                It's only been two months - I'm sure there'll be some people coming down the pike who have no connections whatsoever and have success. Several of the scripts listed as "Most Popular" are from writers who have no representation whatsoever....

Comment

This is a legitimate service. I think the only people being fooled are the ones who believe their script is a definite 10 and think this is their easy ticket to Hollywood. His script also had 20 Votes on the Hit List. Obviously that was rigged too. There's no science or math involved in screenwriting. Write something great, and people will take notice.

re-Success. This is basically Inktip on steroids. My manager's team is panning through the Black List hosted scripts, hoping to find that flake of gold. I know other reps are doing the same. It's just a matter of time before clients are plucked from the site. =)

Comment

You've blown the case wide open. It's this type of investigative journalism that you're famous for.

HH

Comment

Ha. "Black List Insider" ? I submitted my script the same exact way every other writer has - completely blind and at full price.

I live 3,000 miles from Hollywood too. And nobody cared about my script until it was noticed on the site. Multiple prod. companies, query letters to countless management companies...it had literally no life until just a few months ago.

The remainder of this response is so unbelievably hypothetical and off base that it's not worth responding to but one thing -- Franklin's transparency speaks for itself. He's trying to nurture young writers, not take advantage of 'em. The guy wouldn't have spent countless hours on a 100 page DDP thread if all he wanted was some cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Kremlin View Post
                        Ha. "Black List Insider" ? I submitted my script the same exact way every other writer has - completely blind and at full price.

I live 3,000 miles from Hollywood too. And nobody cared about my script until it was noticed on the site. Multiple prod. companies, query letters to countless management companies...it had literally no life until just a few months ago.

The remainder of this response is so unbelievably hypothetical and off base that it's not worth responding to but one thing -- Franklin's transparency speaks for itself. He's trying to nurture young writers, not take advantage of 'em. The guy wouldn't have spent countless hours on a 100 page DDP thread if all he wanted was some cash.
                        Don't worry about JTWG50. The dude spends his time here spewing bitterness at people that are less than half his age. There's no point in engaging people like that, unless you're doing it for fun.
                        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

I'll let others comment about your opinion. What I will say though is that whilst you tout the "a great script will get noticed" line, you forget that it's got to be noticed first and avoid instant deletion with a hundred other queries. Similarly, you miss the fact that via the BL you're guaranteed a read and those scores are available to the industry - whereas the "free" method you advocate guarantees you nothing and you can be floundering with that "great script" for years.

EDIT: I've just noticed that Kremlin voiced exactly what I've said: "I live 3,000 miles from Hollywood too. And nobody cared about my script until it was noticed on the site. Multiple prod. companies, query letters to countless management companies...it had literally no life until just a few months ago."
                          M.A.G.A.

Comment

I think in 2013 there will definitely be some new talent discovered.
                            Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Most of this doesn't deserve a response, but I'll poke a few holes here...

There are 5300 script listings - NOT 5300 scripts hosted. Industry professionals are able to add listings and ratings for scripts they read, but not every script with a listing is hosted and a good 3000+ of those listings were built up over the previous year.

You also seem to assume that any money not going to the reviewers is going directly to Franklin. I suppose the site just hosts itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X