No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Circumvention Agreement??

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever been asked to sign this? I don't even know what the hell it is? Thanks.

Re: Non-Circumvention Agreement??

it's similar to a non-disclosure agreement here's a link that might help you... https://www.upcounsel.com/non-circum...use-definition

What's interesting is it suggest its use is when parties are dealing with new people they don't fully trust. Nice!
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Well, that sucks!

Thanks so much. Appreciate the quick reply.

Comment

Margo -- how do you keep getting into these situations? I say that playfully and also because I feel bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          Margo -- how do you keep getting into these situations? I say that playfully and also because I feel bad.
          I wish I had an answer, Bono.

Someone who used to rep me years ago wants to shop one of my scripts. I already wrote and signed a letter saying she won't be held responsible if some f!cker rips off my work.

I guess the only one who isn't covered is me!

I don't think I'm going to sign it. She'll probably bounce, but hey, whatever.

Comment

Okay, i'm a little confused.

She wants you to sign the non-circumvention agreement? Those are designed to protect the person who is disclosing their IP or other proprietary information, which means YOU are the person that needs the protection if you are submitting something to her to read/produce/buy/sell. But if she's willing to share her own proprietary information with you, for example email addresses of her contact or client list, then it might make sense and be quite harmless.

I think WHAT she's trying to protect will determine whether you sign it or not. It might be something simple. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems your best, wisest decision is to consult a lawyer if you do not understand or agree to the language of the agreement. IOW, you might be making a big deal for no reason, but you might not. I'd dig deeper. Nothing says you can't mark up and omit or ad language to a document to make yourself feel at ease signing.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I just think the whole thing is kinda weird...

Why the fukk am I signing ANYTHING merely for submissions?

If you MUST sign it (which I personally would not. Why bother, nothing is gained) make sure the word "OPTION" is nowhere in it! Ha!

I'm curious how many pages this Non-Circumvention Agreement is, maybe you already said.
              Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                Okay, i'm a little confused.

She wants you to sign the non-circumvention agreement? Those are designed to protect the person who is disclosing their IP or other proprietary information, which means YOU are the person that needs the protection if you are submitting something to her to read/produce/buy/sell. But if she's willing to share her own proprietary information with you, for example email addresses of her contact or client list, then it might make sense and be quite harmless.

I think WHAT she's trying to protect will determine whether you sign it or not. It might be something simple. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems your best, wisest decision is to consult a lawyer if you do not understand or agree to the language of the agreement. IOW, you might be making a big deal for no reason, but you might not. I'd dig deeper. Nothing says you can't mark up and omit or ad language to a document to make yourself feel at ease signing.
                Actually, this was her response: Said there's not going to be any "penalty" language included and that "I want something in writing that says I brought the project in, I am the middleman and without me and my contact the script would not be there. So it's clear."

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what she sends.

Comment

I super don't get this, the email is the paper trail. It's not like you HAVE to make a deal with anyone. You've already allowed her to control the property on your behalf. So...?

Let us know the gist of this document when you get it. I'm curious about the language.

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                    Actually, this was her response: Said there's not going to be any "penalty" language included and that "I want something in writing that says I brought the project in, I am the middleman and without me and my contact the script would not be there. So it's clear."

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what she sends.
                    Old rep -- what happened?
                    You said you already sign something else that I never heard before...
                    ZERO of this sounds above board or like this person is anything close to Hollywood...

I don't see how she came back into your life or she ever did anything for you, but run away. I get it -- us writers love any attention. But I guess I never hear the stories of how these questions and experiences turn into real winners for the writers.

All the reps I've had, we didn't sign a thing.

This isn't a moving company contract.

Comment

^HA!^

Moving company! Good one.

But, agreed, this sounds like someone who ain't part of REAL Hollywood. Sounds fringe. Maybe someone else has, but I've never heard of this arrangement.

We made (yeah we get it, shut up!) one of the biggest deals of the year and there was NOTHING in writing upfront. Not until there was a REAL deal in place.

I don't get this "I want something in writing that says I brought the project in, I am the middleman and without me and my contact the script would not be there." HUH??? I have no idea what that even means. Swear to god. Brought the project into WHERE?

It's a gentleman's agreement until there's actual money on the table. I'd be very cautious of this person. Just say'n...

Comment

Working...
                      X