Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
NYNEX

Default How long should it take for a producer to get back to you on an option agreement?

Lets say a producer says he likes a script of yours, and is very interested, and will get back to you with an option agreement. How long does it normally take for the prodco to draft it up or have their lawyers draft it up and send it to you.(rather, it would be the proposal, I would have to look it over and have someone look it over).
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
LIMAMA

Default Re: how long should it take for a producer to get back to you on an option agreement?

That depends. I was told once that the contracts were "in the mail". That was in 2000. Still waiting.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
grumpywriter

Default Re: how long should it take for a producer to get back to you on an option agreement?

Anywhere from one week to one decade.

Unless the email comes with an actual option agreement attached, I basically consider EVERYTHING a pass, no matter what they say (even if they say they're going to send the script to their dad who is a producing partner of Martin Scorcese -- yes, I had a producer tell me that once).

Last edited by grumpywriter : 01-29-2013 at 12:21 PM.
grumpywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Knaight

I would say it depends on whether or not you're a writer who sued the major agencies and whether or not they find out.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
padnar
New User

Default Re: How long should it take for a producer to get back to you on an option agreement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNEX View Post
Lets say a producer says he likes a script of yours, and is very interested, and will get back to you with an option agreement. How long does it normally take for the prodco to draft it up or have their lawyers draft it up and send it to you.(rather, it would be the proposal, I would have to look it over and have someone look it over).
I am in a similar fix like you. The Producer liked my script offered to pay.
Now no response
padnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
MoonHill
User

Default Re: How long should it take for a producer to get back to you on an option agreement?

If they're actually very interested, it'll take a week or two, at most.

If they're interested but have way more important priorities right then, might take a month or two. Or three. Or four or five. Somewhere between six and twelve. Two years, at the outside. At any rate, if you don't have *an agreement* in writing (that is, they said "We want it, can we option it?" and you said "Yes!" at some point), then you don't actually have an agreement, no matter where in the mail the actual legal paperwork might be. If you shop it elsewhere and get a hit and the first guys miss out because they took a long time to actually get the paperwork put together, then that's their failure, not yours. If you've got that question/answer agreement-in-principle thing, then it you're actually quite justified in calling them up and asking where the contract is if it's been a week or two and no sign.

If they're the sort of people that use "we'll send you an agreement in the mail" as a form of polite pass, then they are disingenuous and you'll never see a thing from them, and probably don't want to be involved with them professionally, anyway.
MoonHill is offline   Reply With Quote