Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #13
Bunker

Default Re: Producer liked my script, need advice.

I went to a panel of network execs recently and they all mentioned that one of the key elements of their job is to differentiate between "a good pilot" and "a good show."

The competition with regards to pilots is huge now. Every feature and TV writer has multiple pilots they're shopping, and many of these scripts are technically sound - an intriguing premise, interesting characters, threads that can evolve into larger story lines, etc. But once they actually sit down and begin discussing the show, it becomes obvious when there's a void, or emptiness beyond the pilot.

In eras past, writers would come up with the show and then develop the pilot. Now, writers are coming up with pilots and extrapolating it into a show.

I feel the tide will turn soon, and networks are going to demand bibles of increasing detail. They're being burned by too many good pilots and good pitches for empty concepts.

But for now, you can get away with a good pitch document as long as you can convince the producers and networks that, if asked, you can easily craft a 50 page bible because your story is so deep and you've given it so much thought.

The key is to have a clear vision and communicate it.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote