Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #51
BattleDolphinZero

Default Re: So, I got my first meeting with a producer tomorrow afternoon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBScript View Post
You know, I will amend this with one thought. Some people think that going out and spending too much time taking general meetings can be a bad thing because it can cause folks to become complacent and stop producing new material. You need to do both, IMO.
Absolutely true. I got caught up in this last year. It's definitely a balance.
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #52
RichMike
Regular

love to hear this! thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
Yeah. There are two different prod/cos that really took to the guy. Both happened to be at Warners. And there's an exec at Warners that really liked him. In fact I think that's how he got his agent and met the producers.

So here's how it plays out...

Guy writes great spec.

I give it to my manager. He takes 3 months to read it. Loves it.

Gives it to a few agents. Gets no traction.

Goes out with spec. People love it. No sale but tons of meetings.

One of the people who loves it is Warner exec.

Warner exec gives it to producers and tells ICM "you should rep this guy, I'm gonna find a way to get him working."

Rest is history in the making.

ps.

he's also up for other gigs too
Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #53
JeffLowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBScript View Post
You know, I will amend this with one thought. Some people think that going out and spending too much time taking general meetings can be a bad thing because it can cause folks to become complacent and stop producing new material. You need to do both, IMO.
Slight addition - I think the real danger is when you go beyond generals and you're pitching a lot of things. It can take months to get a pitch together, get the producer happy, go through all the steps at the studio... and then often not land the job.

I know a lot of writers who get caught up doing that and quit speccing. Pitching isn't a job (even though it feels like it), and you've got nothing at the end of the day if it doesn't sell.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #54
MontanaHans

This has been a great thread.

SMASH TO:

BLACK
MontanaHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #55
EJ Pennypacker

Agreed Montana.

EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #56
winter dreams

Yes, many thanks to the pros weighing in.
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #57
redwriter
User

Any "success" that may come from these meetings also depends on the work you do to follow-up and keep in touch after the meeting. I'm mainly referring to generals here, but you may find my recent experience as a "newbie with meetings" helpful.

I just got back from a whirlwind trip to L.A., where I squeezed 8 meetings into 3 1/2 days. I got the meetings off a spec my manager took out to a small group of producers. True, nothing will directly come from these meetings -- but now I'm on their radar and have 8 great contacts I feel comfortable going to in the future with a project that may meet their needs. I found out what they're each looking for -- and most are looking for something very specific. That information is invaluable.

So I won't just sit and wait for something to come from the meeting -- I'll work my ass off to come up with a project they may be passionate about and try to MAKE something happen.

One exec pitched me a couple of his own ideas, so I'm doing an outline on my take for one of them now. One said she thought her friend at a studio would like my voice and offered to pass my script along. A couple of execs perked up when I told them what I was working on next, so I asked if I could send them outlines. They said absolutely. I've sent thank yous and we all agreed to keep in touch. It may be lip service, but I feel I'm in a much better position now than I was a month ago. It's a long process that takes time and every hurdle jumped, to me, is a milestone.
redwriter is offline   Reply With Quote