Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
emily blake

Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Tooke View Post
Yup.
Then you heard the part when she thanked Bigelow for making a film that allowed her female protagonist to "defy the conventions of Hollywood."

When I heard that, I suspected the lack of sex was one of the elements she was talking about. And yes, it was an assumption. I never said otherwise. But I think we all know that for actresses, sex appeal is always a consideration. In a movie woth action elements, sex is usually a given. She was surrounded by men in that story. It would have been easy to make that happen.

But there was something so genuine about her that I feel definitely reflected having a female at the helm. The relationship she had with her female coworker - that was developed with such subtlety, and so typical of the way women work.

That's the point of this thread, really. That female voices give us a different, and needed viewpoint. I think Zero Dark Thirty is a prime example.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Levenger

Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

But it still failed the Bechdel Test.
Levenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
Wes Tooke
User

The lack of interesting roles for women--especially in certain genres--is a perennial problem in this town. But nobody has put more of their money on the line over the last few years to address that (and other) problems than Annapurna, which is why I find the suggestion that they told Bigalow to sex up her movie 1) distasteful and 2) an example of the kind of fake inside baseball that this site could do without.
Wes Tooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Hamboogul

If you are writing screenplays, what you should strive for is the best possible story regardless of gender (or race). The idea of creating a business model focusing on strong roles for women or to give work to female directors seems well-intended but misguided.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Wes Tooke
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamboogul View Post
If you are writing screenplays, what you should strive for is the best possible story regardless of gender (or race). The idea of creating a business model focusing on strong roles for women or to give work to female directors seems well-intended but misguided.
Not if you think that there's an underserved market. There's no question that the increasing studio focus on tentpoles is leaving lots of holes that smart producers/financiers can fill.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
Hamboogul

Wes,

I believe the "underserved" market applies to the audience. And I don't know if the audience itself cares significantly if The Hurt Locker or ZD30 were directed by a woman. It's one thing to say "Hey, we have 50 million Latino-American population that's underserved. We should make a movie that will draw them to theaters." It's another to cast J.Lo and hope that it will attract them (which I'm sure they've tried.).

So the idea of creating strong female roles or creating opportunities for female directors is certain noble especially since both have a dearth in Hollywood development. But I don't see how not having either in a movie underserves the market.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
emily blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Tooke View Post
The lack of interesting roles for women--especially in certain genres--is a perennial problem in this town. But nobody has put more of their money on the line over the last few years to address that (and other) problems than Annapurna, which is why I find the suggestion that they told Bigalow to sex up her movie 1) distasteful and 2) an example of the kind of fake inside baseball that this site could do without.
Ok, Wes.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
CJ Walley

I'd take a financial hit to support a female director/producer/actress. The industry needs more females at the helm.

I agree about the audience though, I don't think they see it as vividly. Although some modern movies sexualise women so badly they are uncomfortable to watch even if you're male, I couldn't get through the second Transformers movie because of it. I had to watch Twilight the next to wash my frontal lobe.

But I'm thrown by the 'boning' thing, females having sex in movies is bad for females? Was there a forth wave of feminism I missed here? Serious question, do not want to be a massive bigot.
CJ Walley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
Wes Tooke
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamboogul View Post
I believe the "underserved" market applies to the audience. And I don't know if the audience itself cares significantly if The Hurt Locker or ZD30 were directed by a woman.
I don't think the audience cares if a movie was directed by a woman either, but isn't it possible that female directors might bring a different point of view to a movie--stronger female characters, for example--that might appeal to an underserved audience?

I don't want to say too much more because it feels demeaning to the talent of someone like Bigelow to ascribe any of her success to her gender, but as a general point I don't see how any business dedicated to finding a broad audience is well-served when 91% of the people in arguably the most important creative position are men.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Richmond Weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
The relationship she had with her female coworker - that was developed with such subtlety, and so typical of the way women work.
I liked the movie a lot, but still think the first moment they "met", and, later on, the scene in the hotel restaurant were two of the most truthful moments in any movie, bar none.

Quite frankly, it kinda took me out of the movie for a few moments as I silently congratulated the writer on the setup and the delivery in that restaurant scene. Great, great stuff, and it was such a little thing, too, but that instantly elevated the movie for me.

By the way, I have no idea if that's what actually happened, but it doesn't matter. It worked for the story that was told.
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote