Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
EdFury

Default Re: Amazon Studios 45 days - Still evaluating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopolis View Post
I got pass in 49 hours! The script was nearly optioned and got multiple read requests..
I love the term, "nearly optioned".

Amazon is really pursuing known writers, filmmakers, and showrunners right now. Taking 99% of their options from reps submitting their clients... The rest are nearly optioned.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
surftatboy

"Nearly optioned"

A bit like nearly smashing on a model.
surftatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #13
Turbopolis
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
I love the term, "nearly optioned".

Amazon is really pursuing known writers, filmmakers, and showrunners right now. Taking 99% of their options from reps submitting their clients... The rest are nearly optioned.
Yesterday, someone here on forum wrote that THERE'S NO NEPOTISM(favoritism ,lobbying) in screenwriting.
Turbopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #14
EdFury

Quote:
Yesterday, someone here on forum wrote that THERE'S NO NEPOTISM(favoritism ,lobbying) in screenwriting.
Nepotism is when you hire relatives over better qualified people. It has nothing to do with what I said. All Amazon is doing is using better qualified writers with proven track records to build a backlog of product that can compete with the Cable Networks, Hulu, and Netflix. It's what I would do in their shoes.

That doesn't mean new writers can't succeed. It means they have to put in the YEARS of work and rejection that those who came before them had to. YOU CAN'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT SUCCESS OTHER WRITERS ARE HAVING AND COMPARE THEM WITH YOU. Each writer takes their own journey and their success has zero to do with yours. You live or die on your own.

As I said before, if no one wants to option or buy your script, chances are it's the script. Move on. Write another and another and another. The average time between the completion of a spec script and the production of that script, assuming it even gets made which is a long shot, is about 8 years. Quit complaining about crap you can't change and put your head down and keep working at it. It took me 18 years of failure and rejection from the time I wrote my first script to my first produced writing credit on a distributed film. Now I have 6. With two more this year and I just sold a series. I never gave up. I never was jealous of other writer's success. I saw them as examples of where I wanted to be. And I worked to get better. To understand the system in place. And I networked my ass off. And... Again... I never gave up or whined about how unfair it was.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #15
StoryWriter

Quote:

What does this have to with nepotism? Nepotism is hiring relatives or friends, so I doubt that you'd pay an agent to submit your son for a job.

I think this is actually called "hiring qualified people".

If a tornado takes the roof off my house I want to get it replaced. I could waste days interviewing anyone who comes along owning a hammer and claiming he can; "get that roof fixed just as soon as I show him where I keep it, in the basement".

Or...

I could go to a business, with a good reputation, that already has qualified roofers and hire one of them to do it.

That's just the way reality works. I have installed phones for over thirty years and I get paid pretty good to do it, NOW. I wasn't born with phone experience, so I had to go out and get it. That meant I had to hustle. The first job I got was a six-week job as a cable puller. I enjoyed the work, I wanted to do it for living, so I was the hardest worker on the job and the last one they let go when the project was completed. One of the permanent techs saw I had an interest, so he took me aside on the last day and gave me some training.

That extra training was exactly what I needed to get the next "temporary" job. That job was supposed to be for three months, but I worked harder than anyone else. One of the other temporary guys told me to "slow down", that "I was working my way out of a job". I told him "I was working my way into one", and I did.

As soon as I got the permanent job, I nagged them so often to send me switch school I finally wore them down, and they sent me. The first thing the instructor told me when I got to switch school, was that I'd fail, because I didn't have enough experience. I hardly slept for three weeks but aced all the certification tests. (Most people had to take them at least a couple of times to pass), but I had my shot and I wasn't going to mess it up.

I drove my wife nuts because I never quit -- I was working long hours but when I got home I'd still read the manuals and test things out the next day on my lunch break.

Soon I was installing switches and then switched networks and eventually I got to be this old man that has a pretty good trade -- one that lets me take care of my family.

So I guess that's why I don't have much patience when I read the writing of some rookie-wannabe claiming he's written "a" script (yeah a whole script) and now he wants to market it and he'll refuse take anything less than WGA minimum and on and on and on.

I've had the opportunity to get to know some pro script writers and you know what? I don't think any of them got WGA minimum for their first script. Everyone of them had to hustle until they could make a name for themselves (and they still do). And everyone of them loved their work and drove themselves to get better. AND MOST OF ALL -- THEY NEVER QUIT. (Oh and they all developed rhino-thick skin.)

Now these pros are "knowns". People know they can depend on them to do professional work. So they EARNED the right to get in front of that line.

(Sorry -- this rant was directed at a lot people over a lot of years and not specifically in your direction.)
Old 02-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #16
surftatboy

Quote:
That was me. It's not applicable to Amazon Studios.

But, no, no such thing as nepotism in screenwriting. Never seen it, ever. Acting? All day long.
surftatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #17
nativeson

It is possible (likely, IMO), that submissions are judged based on loglines and queries/synopses submitted.
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #18
Turbopolis
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
I just sold a series. I never gave up. I never was jealous of other writer's success.
Congrats, Ed! I'm really happy to hear that someone succeed! I'm originally from EU but was lucky enough this year to become a paid writer in Hollywood as well.. I hope we writers can fight for our rights so every talented author has a chance to touch the God's beard
Old 02-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #19
EdFury

Quote:
Congrats, Ed! I'm really happy to hear that someone succeed! I'm originally from EU but was lucky enough this year to become a paid writer in Hollywood as well.. I hope we writers can fight for our rights so every talented author has a chance to touch the God's beard
Touch God's Beard? We have different priorities. I love writing. I love being involved in the creations of film and TV. I love it all. But it pales in comparison to my family. My wife and kids and their families. That's what I thank God for every day.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
Turbopolis
User

Ed, That's what my wife has been telling me that I have to pay more attention to the family rather than to an imaginary Hollywood career.