No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pilot Development

Jeff...

Do I understand you correctly that on your new show you WANT specs of other shows? First choice of what to read?

I think a tough thing is: What if the show isn't out yet, how do you spec that as a staff writer? Although, on TRAINING DAY I could have specced it because there was preexisting material to draw from.

Would you do something like: Narrow the field down, then once you have your "recommends" you hand them your pilot and ask them to spec episode 2? Just to learn if they can write in your voice? What will your process be for staffing your new show?

I think it's maybe a little different if it's an ensomble cast, one may want different voices in the room (EMPIRE etc). But, I can see where if it's one main dude/chick where it's gotta be a consistent voice, seeing as we never really deviate from HIS/HER POV.

(Not asking for a job. I don't write comedy. Just curious what your staffing process will look like)
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

No, I used to love specs of other shows. But they're just not realistic with how fragmented the tv landscape has become. If it were a spec of a show I loved, I would be excited to read it - but that basically means someone would have to spec a British sitcom, since that's pretty much all I watch.

(I would never be able to read a spec of a show I created - too open for a lawsuit.)

I just think writing a pilot and writing a spec are two different skills, and I need the latter skill more from someone on my staff.

Comment

Ha! British Sitcoms. You and my lady would get along great! That's all she watches.

Gotcha, kinda...

I'm still not clear on how you plan to find people good at speccing seeing as so many writers are doing original pilots. I'm guessing referrals (previously staffed writers) from other showrunners etc?

Then again, I get that every showrunner is different in their needs.

Follow up question: What is THE MOST trustworthy referral you'll consider for the top of the pile, agent, showrunner, studio? Or does it not matter to you?

Comment

I'm finding people with pilots, just like everyone else. I just used to like the spec world better. I'm adapting. The trouble is sometimes you hire someone who wrote a great pilot about their life... and they can't write about anything but their life.

The #1 referral is from a writer I've worked with and trusted. #2 is my agent/manager, who know my personality and taste. #3 is the studio, who are mostly just sending you people they love, rather than people who they think will work well with me. The pile is #4, but I certainly have hired people that way. If I love the script and meet them and they're great... I roll the dice.

Comment

Time to dust off that The Office spec that almost got me a Disney fellowship. It must be back on the air by now...

Comment

Funny you mention writers writing about their life... I'm out with an autobiographical pilot right now. Ha! In my defense, I never would have thought to do that, my writer/director buddy pushed me into it.

As for speccing... IDK, I could easily see that turning right back around where it's the norm. Maybe you won't have to adapt for long. ;-) I'm actually surprised Hollywood lets unproduced writers scripts slip into the market AT ALL ("Dude... where's the IP, bruh?") LOL

But, yeah, 1-2-3-4 makes sense. Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                (I would never be able to read a spec of a show I created - too open for a lawsuit.)
                Btw - I forgot that part. Probably because I've never specced a show. LOL

One thing I found goofy as fukk with my new pilot is that there's a competitive show (which stands a good chance of killing my show, I was a bit too late maybe), but they refused to read my pilot for that reason. Liability. Ummm... WHAT??? Wouldn't I be perfect for your show seeing as we had a similar idea? "How 'bout I sign something saying I won't sue you?" It would be a one page document. Easy.

The fact that my material, on this one, is likeminded KILLS my chances with them. The insanity of Hollywood at work.

IMO there should be some kind'a standard "I promise not to sue you" release for situations like that. That, or they say "Cool, you thought of something similar... we can't read your pilot, but got anything else?" Instead, it was a flat out "FUKK OFF!"

...Which means that in the super slim chance mine gets made, I WANT TO KICK THEIR ASSES!! By doing a WAY better version.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                  http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspo...-database.html

About a year ago, I started a Twitter conversation with pro writers about the spec episodes that got them staffed or noticed for the first time. -- bitter script reader

Cool datebase of specs that pro writers wrote to break in.
                  Dude... wait a minute. YOU are "bitter script reader"????

Comment

Working...
                  X