Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting your spec online?

This thought has occurred to me but seemed a little dicey.

The other day I was looking at Adam McKay's Twitter and noticed he linked to this: http://www.grownups3script.com/ (and praised the script highly).

Just curious what folks think about this as a strategy. Obviously just hanging your script out for the world to see by itself isn't going to do much, but maybe if you were able to get the right eyeballs on it?

Is this worth considering?

Given how tight things are these days, and the fact that nobody's willing to give me the time of day yet, seems worth considering any and all approaches to getting something noticed.

Re: posting your spec. online?

It worked great for RoboTard 8000 (Tim Talbott & Malcolm Spellman). But I'm not sure how much they expected it to actually sell versus just generating heat and branding them as two funny writers.

Comment

If you've got something that can go viral like the Seinfeld 9/11 script, sure. Or maybe even something crazy like the Nic Cage spec. (those guys were broken in already, but something crazy - like BUBBLES.) I mean, try whatever. But if you've got a small character study thing try Nicholl or the hosted Blcklst because otherwise it's probably not going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Megunticook View Post
        This thought has occurred to me but seemed a little dicey.
        I don't think it's dicey at all.
        The other day I was looking at Adam McKay's Twitter and noticed he linked to this: http://www.grownups3script.com/ (and praised the script highly).
        Self-promotion is a writer's job, if you want to get eyes on it. Even when you have reps, driven writers continue on their own behalf along side their rep's efforts. I've participated in the #WGAspeclist with other Twitter writes and had a producer request my spec. I should add, I make my loglines available, if someone wants to read it, other than on TBL, they have to request it. I've had scripts requested on LinkedIn, Facebook, my website, The Black List, Twitter, and DDP.

Is this worth considering?
        Absolutely, but it doesn't work without networking. They can't find you if they don't know who you are. Getting to know other writers is rewarding in it's own right. Helping writers with a question or advice encourages friendship and returned advice when you need it. Writers are also very supportive of other writers. They understand the struggle and frustrations because they've been there or they're in it with you. I find it to be a great sense of support and am personally grateful for the connections I've made and the friendships I've gained.

Given how tight things are these days, and the fact that nobody's willing to give me the time of day yet, seems worth considering any and all approaches to getting something noticed.
        What's interesting to me, is that even when you think no one is paying attention, they are, you just aren't interacting with them yet.

Good luck with your projects.
        FA4
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
        X