Anybody have a success story from a follow-up email?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody have a success story from a follow-up email?

So do you send another follow-up e-mail after that month has passed? That's the position I'm in now (already sent one follow-up e-mail, was told they hadn't gotten to it yet - that was two weeks ago)...

Comment

Yeah, I believe general etiquette is to wait 4 weeks/1 month in between follow-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
        My experience has been the same as ATB's.

When I was querying, I probably received:

10% - Read requests
        5% - "Not for me"
        10% - "We don't accept unsolicited material." (But most of them do if they dig the logline)
        75% - No response.
        This sounds about right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
          Yeah, I believe general etiquette is to wait 4 weeks/1 month in between follow-ups.
          I'd say more like two weeks.

Comment

I was told a long time ago that it's not about the script you are sending but more about the next script and the one after that. It's really about building a relationship and opening a door that wasn't open before and keeping that door open.

Comment

Originally posted by CrissCross View Post
              I was told a long time ago that it's not about the script you are sending but more about the next script and the one after that. It's really about building a relationship and opening a door that wasn't open before and keeping that door open.
              I heard this too.

It's not really true. Reps want to sign clients who already have a script they can sell. Developing someone who is capable of writing a salable script, but doesn't have one yet, requires a large expenditure of time and energy.

The script that matters most is the one that you're sending them NOW.
              QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by versed View Post
                So do you send another follow-up e-mail after that month has passed? That's the position I'm in now (already sent one follow-up e-mail, was told they hadn't gotten to it yet - that was two weeks ago)...
                I hear you! I'm in the same boat. It makes you appreciate the "not for me"-'s, at least then you have an answer! It's a mystery to me. I feel like such an idgit following up, but then I get such nice replies that I keep doing it.

One gave me an approximate date to follow up on, that date has passed, so I'm following up next week. One said I should hear back at the end of the month after writing a long paragraph apologizing for the delay. Another hasn't replied to my first follow up, even though they're the ones who requested that I upload my script via their website. I guess I won't follow up again with them. I think if you don't hear back, don't worry about it so much, and concentrate on your other irons in the fire -- thinking up new concepts, writing, re-writing, etc.

Comment

If a company doesn't reply to a follow-up email, then it's as good as dead, right?

Comment

John August said it best, "Anything other than an actual, specific 'Yes!' is a 'no."

Comment

Originally posted by mikejc View Post
                      John August said it best, "Anything other than an actual, specific 'Yes!' is a 'no."
                      Well, I'm the OP here, and after not hearing back on my check-in with a manager at a very reputable company for two months, I figured what the hell and wrote him again. He wrote back instantly "Sorry it's been a while and I still haven't read it! But I promise to soon. Thanks for checking in."

So you really just never know. And there's nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyLock View Post
                        Well, I'm the OP here, and after not hearing back on my check-in with a manager at a very reputable company for two months, I figured what the hell and wrote him again. He wrote back instantly "Sorry it's been a while and I still haven't read it! But I promise to soon. Thanks for checking in."

The Brothers Gibb said it best: "Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin alive, stayin alive!"

Comment

Awesome.

The way I see it, as long as you don't come across as weird or needy, it's quite possible that potential reps will actually appreciate you being assertive. It demonstrates ambition, which is a necessary attribute in this business.
                          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Just wanted to update this! After two check-ins with a manager at a big management firm, he got back to me at the beginning of the week with a great email. He passed on the script I had sent, but told me his door will always be open to me and to email him when my next project is ready. So I consider this a success. And who knows, if I wouldn't have checked in, this may never had happened.

Comment

Just wanted to update this! After two check-ins with a manager at a big management firm, he got back to me at the beginning of the week with a great email. He passed on the script I had sent, but told me his door will always be open to me and to email him when my next project is ready. So I consider this a success. And who knows, if I wouldn't have checked in, this may never had happened.
                              That's great! I like how it ended with an open door.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me recently. Sent something out to a big management company. Didn't hear anything back for awhile, checked in--they got around to reading it. They passed, but wanted to see more scripts in the future.
                                Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Working...
                                X