Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House Down Trailer

While on a tour of the White House with his young daughter, a police officer (Channing Tatum) springs into action to protect his child and the president (Jamie Foxx) from a heavily armed group of paramilitary invaders.

Sounds familiar....

Directed by Roland Emmerich (I was an extra on that failed ABC pilot he worked on last year) and written by James Vanderbilt (The Amazing Spider-Man, which I was an extra on too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekire...ue&safe=active
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: White House Down Trailer

Sorry, but Channing Tatum has the personality of bird seed.

Comment

Snooze.

Comment

They cut this trailer with extra gravitas to differentiate from Olympus, but based on the scripts they seriously are the same movie. I'm sure they've had rewrites, but the original versions of the scripts even shared the same set piece ideas. Now they need to find a way to convince America they didn't just go see this movie a couple months ago.

Comment

I used to dislike Channing Tatum, but then I saw 21 Jump Street, and then I saw Haywire, and then I saw Magic Mike. I am now a fan of Channing Tatum.

I read the script. It was solid. It was beat-for-beat Die Hard, but solid. I'll go see it.
          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Can't go wrong blowing up the White House. At any given time half of America is willing to pay to see that...
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
              I saw Magic Mike. I am now a fan of Channing Tatum.
              This is every woman I know.
              Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Yawn, just read the Youtube comments of anything related to this. 80% of it mentions Olympus Has Fallen and how Hollywood can't come up with anything better!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                  Yawn, just read the Youtube comments of anything related to this. 80% of it mentions Olympus Has Fallen and how Hollywood can't come up with anything better!
                  You Tube comments also say Dredd is a rip-off of The Raid and Two Days In The Valley is a rip-off of Pulp Fiction. You Tube is full of fucking idiots.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                    A lot of us on DDP and other screenwriting forums look at films from a different perspective from the mass public, and usually stay more up to date on industry news and specs/screenplays in development.

It would be reasonable for a random teenager who saw both trailers back-to-back to question the obvious similarities and closeness of release dates.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                      You Tube comments also say Dredd is a rip-off of The Raid and Two Days In The Valley is a rip-off of Pulp Fiction. You Tube is full of fucking idiots.
                      Can't argue with that.
                      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this is the best action movie of the summer, if not the year. Sure, it's unabashedly a DIE HARD knockoff, but this puppy just nails it out of the park. Once it gets rolling it just doesn't let up... and as Emmerich's wont, certain landmarks get blown up real good.

It's also clever and consistently funnier than any comedy I've seen lately.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I read the script awhile ago and had two reactions:

1) It was very well written, very tight, I read it in a blur of rapidly turning pages, and enjoyed it quite a bit.

2) It had a jarring tonal discord. The President (Foxx) and the wannabe Secret Service agent (Tatum) were constantly trading banter and making clever quips right and left. This is the President of the United States, with the White House under attack, with numerous people having been killed right in front of him -- you'd have to be one seriously fcked up psychopath to be making wisecracks in that situation. I just couldn't buy it. Not sure it's possible to make levity mesh well with a situation of such gravity; if it is possible, White House Down didn't do it.

Comment

It's a valid point, but one that covers more than just this movie. Bantering through the mayhem is kind of a trope of contemporary action films, isn't it?

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Then there's this perspective:

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story...wn-down-down-/

It's absolutely tanking at the B.O.

Comment

Working...
                              X