Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody submitted to Austin this year?

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    In 1994, the first year of the competition, conference and festival, Max Adams learned she won a Nicholl Fellowship on a Tuesday with My Back Yard and then Austin on that Friday with Excess Baggage. At Austin, she met CAA agent Jon Levin and Barry Josephson, the President of Production at Columbia. On the following Tuesday, Max signed with CAA. A week later, the script sold to Columbia.
    The dream scenario
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

And I know a guy who did an assignment through CAA after being a finalist. So you don't have to win.

Comment

There are a lot of positive outcomes -- I'm sure someone who works there could get some specific stats or whatever.

Here are the results of my Google search: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...cess%20stories

I mean, if Greg Beal (Nicholl) is talking up AFF...

Comment

The power of Google, lol. I forgot there's a "Success Stories" section on their site; thanks for reminding me.

Comment

The obvious advantage Austin has over Nicholl is that they have more categories, beyond just features.

How people view the individual competitions is really impossible to qualify, because it's different with every person. So PAGE vs. Austin in the pilot category for example is a tough thing to answer, although I think they both have relatively low fees, especially if you enter early. Entering both is probably your best bet. But I think it's safe to say that all three have a pretty strong track record of helping writers get noticed by people who can truly help. And you don't necessarily have to win.

I think this is a fairly good overview of the competitions worth your time: http://goodinaroom.com/blog/screenwriting-contests/

It's a site worth looking through outside of that specific post as well.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Interesting that Austin is ranked higher than PAGE.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                Thanks for the link. Interesting that Austin is ranked higher than PAGE.
                I read somewhere that Page isn't promoting their winners as vigorously as they used to.

Comment

I submitted for the first time this year - original teleplay and a screenplay in the drama category. If I place at all, I plan to go. I've heard it's an awesome, jam-packed four days and I'm all about Texas food!

Comment

We entered last year and got some good feedback but didn't progress, decided to give it a miss this year and submitted different scripts to Page and Nicholl.

Figured if we do well in those two we're doing alright, and plan to query more this year than we have previously so we'll see...

Wish I could get to the festival, but live in London so money / time off work is an issue.

Good luck to all that entered, and jealous of those that attend!

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                      I read somewhere that Page isn't promoting their winners as vigorously as they used to.

Hmmm... Not sure where you read this, nativeson, but it's entirely untrue! The fact is, each year more and more PAGE Award winners and finalists are getting optioned and signed as a direct result of placing in the contest and our efforts to help promote them.

The proof is in the pudding. Here's a short list of what's happened for a few of last year's winners:

2015 Grand Prize winner Gareth Smith is currently working with PAGE judge Mitchell Peck (PRIEST, CROOKED ARROWS) to develop Gareth's PAGE Award-winning screenplay.

2015 Gold Prize winner Heather Faris is working on a rewrite assignment for Perdomo Productions. Heather was hired on this assignment after the producers read her PAGE Award-winning action script, which they requested off our promotions.

The 2015 Silver Prize-winning short film BREATHE, by Theo Krekis, was filmed on location in Ireland, premiered at the Dingle Film Festival in March, and is now on the film festival circuit.

2015 Bronze Prize winner Steven Canals has been hired as a staff writer on the Freeform TV series DEAD OF SUMMER. Steven is repped by PAGE Judge Jarrod Murray.

2015 Silver Prize winners Joe Crump and Rachel Noll are steeped in pre-production on their PAGE Award-winning Family Film THE STORYTELLER, which begins filming in June.

In addition, as a direct result of their contest win, eight of last year's winning writers were signed by representatives, five of last year's winners are working with the producers who optioned their PAGE Award-winning screenplays, and two of last year's winners are working on paid script assignments. You can read more from these writers in their own words here:

https://pageawards.com/success-stories/success15/

If you look at all these results -- and this is all from last year alone -- I think it's pretty obvious that we work extremely hard to promote our winning writers. In fact, apart from the Nicholl, which has been around much longer than we have, I don't think there's any contest out there with a better track record for launching the careers of new screenwriters.

Though I'm sure some of our competitors would like you to think otherwise.

Best regards,
                      Jen

Comment

It was a producer. She said she hadn't received as much promotional information about winners as in previous years.

Then again, she was pimpin for Cinestory.

Comment

It was a producer. She said she hadn't received as much promotional information about winners as in previous years.

Then again, she was pimpin for Cinestory.

Uh-hunh. 'Nough said.

Comment

I live outside the US and couldn't submit to Austin because Paypal in certain countries prevented transactions to a Non-Profit Organization in the US (probably some money laundering related security feature)

Emailed Matt from Austin and he was pretty nice, we tried working it out but couldn't be done. It's weird because I've submitted to Austin before (in 2014) and this year I submitted to Nicholls, PAGE with no problems.

Comment

Credit Card?

Comment

Credit Card?
                                As long as it's through the Paypal system, it gets rejected: 'To comply with international regulations, this transaction has been declined.' (or very similar to that.)

Matt suggested using a US money order / cashier's check, but these instruments are not as common outside the USA (I have a finance background so I know a bit about those).

Plus since Austin can't accept international MO or checks, things gets even trickier.

The seemingly viable way (and easiest) is to use a Demand Draft, but I don't think Austin accepts those.

Comment

Working...
                                X