Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #21
Deion22

Default Re: Bad Robot Pitch

One last thing guys. I NEVER! EVER! try to brag. Unfortunately that's the problem sitting behind a keyboard. If you met me, you would see I'm very humble. I just want to share my ups and downs, and crazy experiences like everyone else has. Someday soon I'll tell you some of my CRAZY FAILURES. Just as of the past six months I've had some good things happen, that I wanted to share with you. So please no one think I'm that arrogant *******. I'm def not that.

Okay, now I'm off to watch "THE WIRE" before I start my day.

Last edited by Deion22 : 01-13-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Deion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #22
josvanbrussel
User

This thread is hilarious. Protagonist, antagonist, lots and lots of conflict... this has to be a screenwriter's forum
josvanbrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #23
WritersBlock2010

I had this big, impassioned post I wrote to Studios... But then I deleted it because I figured he won't give a damn, either way.

I will say this, though, Studios:

This rebel persona you have going on here on DD is not hip, cool or endearing. It's downright annoying, to be blunt.

It makes you come off like some sheltered punk who doesn't have very much knowledge of the real world and who is not serious about screenwriting, or the industry. It makes you come off more like an ignorant wannabe fanboy more than anything. Wannabe fanboys are the idiots of your generation that force the studios to dumb down the movies they produce.

Since you are at the tell-it-like-it-is stage in your life... Here it is:

The number one thing you can do to increase your chances of success in this biz is to be open to new experiences. Not just your own, but those of others. This means others success, most of all.

Right now, because you are still figuring out your own identity... You immediately view anybody who you don't know success as suspect, or impossible just because you don't know their situation, or because they didn't do things the way you are going about them (film school). Or perhaps because they had the balls to do what you only wish you could do?

So, now you have a choice:

You can either chose to wallow in jealousy and other petty crap like trying to scam a Nigerian scammer...

Or you can be better than that, man up, learn what you have to learn and then go make your own success stories, so you don't have to be jealous of others.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12916studios View Post
If this is true, I'm reeling, because everything I have ever been taught is that there is no way you will get past those assistants on a cold call.

F*ck, maybe I should call Bad Robot tomorrow, if only to see what happens.
You should. What's the worst thing that could happen?

They say no. Big deal. Get used to it. In fact, you should cold call ten or twenty companies just to get used to hearing "no" so it isn't a big deal, because if you are in the entertainment field, you are going to get a lot more "no" than "yes."

And, just for the record, back when I was trying to break in as a writer I cold called and queried people all over the place, got reads from reps and companies and convinced a prodco to put me in touch with an Oscar winning writer, a dude named Scott Frank, who CALLED ME.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #25
WritersBlock2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBScript View Post

They say no. Big deal. Get used to it. In fact, you should cold call ten or twenty companies just to get used to hearing "no" so it isn't a big deal, because if you are in the entertainment field, you are going to get a lot more "no" than "yes."
I agree wholeheartedly.

To be more positive...

You (anybody) have to have chutzpa and gall to want to work in the entertainment filed. You do. Period. There are no iffs, ands or buts.

The difference is you have to temper confidence in yourself and your abilities with the realities of the biz, too.

It goes without saying, but there is a difference between being confident and cocky. You want to be the former at all times. It's what gets things done in the world in this biz and in life.

When I was starting out, I did the typical cold calls and queried hundreds upon hundreds of agents, managers, producers, directors, actors, production companies, etc. looking for my first break, or way in. Out of all of those I think I only had a genuine response of about... 10... Maybe? We're talking 10 out of a good 500, or more and this is a conservative estimate.

Again, the point is you need the confidence that says, "I can do this", but not in an arrogant, or "Fvck you" kind of way. You want to project an aura of "I can do this... And if you let me do this YOU can reap the rewards, too!" as much as you can. Enthusiasm and success breeds enthusiasm and success.

This business is all about networking and schmoozing. But in the good way, not the greasy, used car salesman type of way. Being confident means being a professional. Being a professional means you are paid for your skills, knowledge and ability. How you attain those skills, knowledge (experience) and abilities is as varied as there are people on this planet. But it's not just going to fall into your lap. It's up to you go out there and grab the brass ring as cheesy as that sounds.

In closing, be open to others success because you never know. Lightening might strike... and their success just might rub off on you
Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #26
12916studios

Just called them. That was nervewracking. And the call was really short too. Just barely over a minute.

But I DID find out that they do internships.

So now I need to put together a decent resume and send it over.

And next time, when I call, maybe keep the nice-sounding lady rolling calls on the phone a bit longer. I probably ended the call faster than I should have, but I wasn't entirely prepared, and as soon as I hung up I thought of questions I could have asked. Bah, live and learn.

And I never would have done that if I hadn't acted like a complete douche. So maybe something good came of all this?

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

12916studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
12916studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deion22 View Post
Your not a douche.
Au contaire...

Quote:
I hope you land the internship
Thanks. I won't know for another several months, because I won't do it until the summer. But...we'll see.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Old 01-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #28
12916studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by josvanbrussel View Post
This thread is hilarious. Protagonist, antagonist, lots and lots of conflict... this has to be a screenwriter's forum
And also a beginning, middle, and end, including all essential plot points! Syd Field would love this thread.

ETA:

Who would be the protagonist here?

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Old 01-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #29
true_illusion
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBScript View Post

And, just for the record, back when I was trying to break in as a writer I cold called and queried people all over the place, got reads from reps and companies and convinced a prodco to put me in touch with an Oscar winning writer, a dude named Scott Frank, who CALLED ME.
BEST ADVICE I THINK I HAVE EVER SEEN GIVEN ON HERE.

Fact of the matter is, for every one person that likes the idea/pitch/script you are peddling around town, there will be ten, twenty, one hundred or even a thousand others that would completely scoff at the idea of taking the project on.

The whole point is not to avoid the people that you think will say no, but to go through them until you find the one that says yes.
true_illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
josvanbrussel
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12916studios View Post
And also a beginning, middle, and end, including all essential plot points! Syd Field would love this thread.

ETA:

Who would be the protagonist here?
Some stories have two protagonists... I see potential here for... a buddy movie?
josvanbrussel is offline   Reply With Quote