Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Originally posted by figment View Post
    I've got a requested script at Industry right now. Yay!

As a company, is there a general time frame in which someone will get back to me? Or is no answer (after 4-5 days) an answer?

Or I should wait a couple weeks and then status query?

Thanks.
    Who at Industry?

If you get a response from any rep within 2 weeks of a query letter that is considered fast. You have a remember, if and when someone requests a query, your script is still at the bottom of a large stack.

Best,

MB
    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
      Who at Industry?

If you get a response from any rep within 2 weeks of a query letter that is considered fast. You have a remember, if and when someone requests a query, your script is still at the bottom of a large stack.
      Got it, Michael. Thanks. Shooting you a PM...
      Last edited by figment; 09-04-2013, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Hey Michael,

When you search for scripts on the Blacklist 3.0 (or go to the script page after receiving one of the Top List emails), do you just read the loglines--and if it interests you, download the script--or do you prefer to read the Blacklist professional reviews as well? Do you pre-judge a script (even if it's on the Top Lists) if the writer chooses not to list the reviews?

I only ask because one of my scripts was fortunate enough to receive favorable reviews/ratings to make the Top Lists, but I'm hesitant to list the reviews for a couple reasons:

1) There are some incorrect factual details about the script in both reviews (for one it's very minor and not a big deal, but the other review has multiple factual inaccuracies in the review).

2) I don't want some of the spoilers listed in the reviews to be available to people before they have the chance to read the script.

Appreciate any answers. Thanks!

Edit: Also, what do most managers/agents think about receiving links to scripts hosted on the Blacklist in query emails? Should we stay away from querying with links and stick with the traditional query formats?

Comment

Great thread mb. The knowledge is much appreciated. I only skimmed the part about your twitter. I'm supposed to tweet you five times a day, right? J/K

Along those lines, however, I have a query question.
          If a writer likes a manager/agent (heard good things, similar genres, etc.), but has a query rejected, would it be bad form to query the same manager/agent with other loglines/scripts to try to "break through"?
          What indicators should we look for to say, "They're just not into me"?

Thanks...now, off to the twittering.
          SL35
          SL35
          Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Michael,

Without naming specific names, how did you meet/sign your various clients? I'm always curious about how agents and managers find people they want to sign, and how they establish a relationship in those early days of trying to sign someone.

Comment

Originally posted by IGetsBuckets View Post
              Hey Michael,

When you search for scripts on the Blacklist 3.0 (or go to the script page after receiving one of the Top List emails), do you just read the loglines--and if it interests you, download the script--or do you prefer to read the Blacklist professional reviews as well? Do you pre-judge a script (even if it's on the Top Lists) if the writer chooses not to list the reviews?

I only ask because one of my scripts was fortunate enough to receive favorable reviews/ratings to make the Top Lists, but I'm hesitant to list the reviews for a couple reasons:

1) There are some incorrect factual details about the script in both reviews (for one it's very minor and not a big deal, but the other review has multiple factual inaccuracies in the review).

2) I don't want some of the spoilers listed in the reviews to be available to people before they have the chance to read the script.

Appreciate any answers. Thanks!

Edit: Also, what do most managers/agents think about receiving links to scripts hosted on the Blacklist in query emails? Should we stay away from querying with links and stick with the traditional query formats?
              I tend to read based on the loglines and ratings. I tend not to read the full review that often.

I don't mind a link to the site in a query.

Best,

MB
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
                Great thread mb. The knowledge is much appreciated. I only skimmed the part about your twitter. I'm supposed to tweet you five times a day, right? J/K

Along those lines, however, I have a query question.
                If a writer likes a manager/agent (heard good things, similar genres, etc.), but has a query rejected, would it be bad form to query the same manager/agent with other loglines/scripts to try to "break through"?
                What indicators should we look for to say, "They're just not into me"?

Thanks...now, off to the twittering.
                SL35
                1 query is usually enough. I tend to get annoyed when I am polite and reply "no thank you" only to have writers reply "well how about this one, or this one".

If you are sending a different query months later, it's not an issue.

Best,

MB
                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by keithcalder View Post
                  Michael,

Without naming specific names, how did you meet/sign your various clients? I'm always curious about how agents and managers find people they want to sign, and how they establish a relationship in those early days of trying to sign someone.
                  I'd say most were referred to me by execs/producers, agents, or current clients.

Often a producer will be working with a young writer on a script, and then send it to reps to A. get the writer repped and B. help the producer package and sell it.

Plus, people often use that as favors/I owe you's. If an exec sends me a client that i sign and make money off of, I'll remember that when going out with other clients material and be extra sure that I have them covered.

Best,

MB
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hey Michael,

A recent article in the Hollywood Reporter titled, "R.I.P. RomComs", pretty much suggested that romantic comedies are dead, at least as far as the studios are concerned (I'm referring to the Nancy Meyers style of romcom, not the raunchy variety).

I'm wondering if that's what you're seeing and do you shy away from writers and scripts of that genre?
                    The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense - Tom Clancy

Comment

Originally posted by Logliner View Post
                      Hey Michael,

A recent article in the Hollywood Reporter titled, "R.I.P. RomComs", pretty much suggested that romantic comedies are dead, at least as far as the studios are concerned (I'm referring to the Nancy Meyers style of romcom, not the raunchy variety).

I'm wondering if that's what you're seeing and do you shy away from writers and scripts of that genre?
                      I do tend to shy away from them. I'm not a big comedy guy to begin with though.

Best,

MB
                      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hi Michael,

Sometimes when I've queried a manager, I've had that email fwd to another set of managers and they've requested the material. In a situation like this, can you guess why the original manager deflected the email to another set of eyes? Do you suspect the other managers are more of needing a client in that genre? Have you done this before within Industry?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by Logliner View Post
                          Hey Michael,

I hope the people that read that article also read this: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...-comedies-dead

Comment

MB - to add to that last question... are you aware of what genres and types of scripts appeal to certain managers?

Seems like relationships with genre specific production companies would probably influence a manager's appetite.

Best,
                            Markerstone
                            "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Originally posted by markerstone View Post
                              MB - to add to that last question... are you aware of what genres and types of scripts appeal to certain managers?

Seems like relationships with genre specific production companies would probably influence a manager's appetite.

Best,
                              Markerstone
                              Generally, this is pretty easy to figure out just from looking at the manager's client list.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                                Hi Michael,

Sometimes when I've queried a manager, I've had that email fwd to another set of managers and they've requested the material. In a situation like this, can you guess why the original manager deflected the email to another set of eyes? Do you suspect the other managers are more of needing a client in that genre? Have you done this before within Industry?

EJ
                                Yes. Sometimes it's a "This isn't my thing but you're my buddy so you should check it out."

Or sometimes it's a "wow, this is hilariously bad, check this out."

I've done both. But, the one that I forwarded that was bad was realllllyyyyyy bad (and thus really funny).

Best,

MB
                                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                                X