Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Austin Film Festival 2011

I have two that made the quarterfinals, but no further. Actually disappointed as I've made the quarters many times already.

Comment

Just opened a nice letter. It says I made it to the second round in the sitcom category "before being eliminated". Not sure if this is worth mentioning to anyone... like an agent.
      Most of all... good luck to everyone.

Comment

2nd round and an extremely classy phone call.

Congrats to those who made the next round!

ChiliP

Comment

Guess I was wrong about how quickly they'd post online ...

Second Round with one, but no Semis. Congratulations to all who advanced; it's a great achievement!

Comment

We got the call Monday night that we're semi-finalists in the TV Pilot competition. Over 800 pilots and only 8 semi-finalists. We hear around September 20th about the Finals.

Comment

Congrats to all who advanced!

HH

Comment

Second rounder here. Went last year as a semifinalist and drama and horror/fantasy feature categories and had a great time. Go if you can! CONGRATS to everybody who advanced!
                Last edited by lancelotnyc; 09-07-2011, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Second rounder in screenplay drama. Saw above a second rounder got a call. That's awesome. I missed a call from San Marcos, I wonder if that was my classy call...

Comment

Originally posted by Lrriley View Post
                    Second rounder in screenplay drama. Saw above a second rounder got a call. That's awesome. I missed a call from San Marcos, I wonder if that was my classy call...

I think that person is mistaken. Semi-finals get a call. Second round don't.

Of course, I am often mistaken myself. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
                      I think that person is mistaken. Semi-finals get a call. Second round don't.

Of course, I am often mistaken myself. LOL

No...I know when I get a phone call

Got a call from a very nice woman named Kathy. Congratulated me on getting to the 2nd round in the drama category. Said that overall, about the top 9% made it to the 2nd round. Also told me as a 2nd rounder, I would be receiving something via email on discounted passes for the festival. And, that to receive the discount I had to book it through her office.

ChiliP

Comment

yes, i got the same call last year as a second rounder. not a notification per se but just pimping the badge discount as an incentive to attend the festival in person.

Comment

Yeah; me too, last year -- only I think it came several days after the Second Rounder / Semifinalist announcement. Nice enough, but really felt like more of a marketing thing. I'm guessing I'll get the same call this year as they make their way down the list.

Comment

I just got that second round call today. I think it's pretty crappy that they do that, no matter how nice they are. In the end, they're just trying to sell you something.

Comment

Anyone else get a nice P.S. on their second round letter? Didn't get one last year with my second round letter so it was surprising. Nice, but surprising.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                                I just got that second round call today. I think it's pretty crappy that they do that, no matter how nice they are. In the end, they're just trying to sell you something.
                                Yes, I live in Austin but they're not being "crappy."
                                It's a WONDERFUL writer-oriented film festival.

I have been to some not-so-great/money-grubbing screenwriting things in my day where it's all about Joe Schmo trying to sell you his gimmicky wonder-crap.
                                This is not that. Not only is it held in a beautiful hotel (not a barren, ugly convention center), the Austin Film Festival is a gathering of the best screenwriters in the world all sharing ideas about how to become better writers, how to keep going, and how to make it.

If you haven't gone to the AFF website and checked out their list of panelists, do so. They have amazing, talented people who are happy to share their insight not just in the panels, but also in the Driskill bar, on the shuttle to the BBQ, wherever. Half of the time, you'll find that you just spent a half hour sitting next to a staff writer from the Simpsons. That guy you ate brunch with? He's a Disney fellow and writing for Cougartown. The guy next to you at lunch? Yeah, he's an editor on Dexter. These aren't even the PANELISTS! (These are all personal experiences of mine.)
                                This year panels are being given by John Lasseter (Pixar), Caroline Thompson (Edward Scissorhands, etc.) Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars)... Shane Black, Terry Rossio, Lawrence Kasdan (I think?) -- the place is full of Disney Development Execs, amazing writers, producers... and writers who placed and writers who didn't place.

Making the 2nd round is nothing to sneeze at. It's the top 10% (I think they said 9% this year) of a contest that pretty much allows anyone to enter-- unlike the Nicholl, which specifies that the writers can't have earned more than X amount-- anyone can enter Austin.
                                If you made 2nd round, they have special panels just for you. There are plenty of people at the festival who didn't make 2nd round -- they can't get into these exclusive panels.

I have gone to the AFF every year -- I started attending the conference about 4 years before I moved to Texas. And the festival is part of the reason I moved to Austin.

Anyway. If you can swing it, I highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                                X