Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Dahlia/Hollywoodland

I just recently caught these two on cable. I had high expectations when they came out, but reviews were so lukewarm that I lost interest.

Now that I've seen them, I think the critics didn't go far enough, especially for "The Black Dahlia." None of the reviews I read indicated how howlingly bad this movie was. It was a horrible concoction of someone trying to mimic "Chinatown," "LA Confidential" and "The Wizard of Oz," I think. Whew.

"Hollywooodland" was just boring. How do you manage to make that story boring?

Just wanted to rant about them because I thought those two movies would be delicious and they weren't.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Re: Black Dahlia/Hollywoodland

I saw Hollywoodland and honestly thought it was tripe. My partner even commented that Affleck was officially last years T-shirt. His acting career is finished.

Black Dahlia doesn't concern me, as I've read the book it was based on and seen countless TV documentry's that I'm sure are far more engaging then the film.
    Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 10-07-2007, 09:12 PM.
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

When David Fincher was attached to Black Dahlia he wanted it to be a five hour mini series. That film was the equivilant of taking a fillet mignon and chucking it in the microwave.

I have Hollywoodland on my Tivo, havn't got around to it yet.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I must be in a minority, I watched The Black Dahlia recently and actually liked it.. I thought the Production Design, Cinematography, lighting and mood of the peice was in-keeping with the Film Noir tradition. As was the actual story...

Not sure about the casting, maybe that's the reason people don't appreciate it so much.

Like I said, I enjoyed it but I'm a sucker for Film Noirs, and as this did look and feel like one, well, it pulled me in and I gave it a chance and considered it pretty well done considering..

Comment

I had the same reaction to Black Dahlia that I had to
          The DeVinci Code, "Should have and could have been
          a fantastic TV mini series"

Too bad TV mini series don't attract the dollars
          like they used to.

anyway, in the case of Black Dahlia, how can you
          go wrong with the camera oogling Josh Hartnett
          for 2 1/2 hours?
          myhomeconvalesceblog

Comment

Originally posted by writerly
            What really sucks is because these movies did so poorly at the BO if you have any type of period noir script -- it's dead.
            I'm burning mine even as we speak.

-Derek

Comment

I wanted to like Hollywoodland, and seeing either the reeves story or the detective unravelling the story would have been great.

But splilt apart like that- it sucked hard.

Comment

Hollywoodland was OK but boring. They should've tightened it up . Too long, too slow.

I have BD on the queue. I just got the Ellroy book from a thrift store (50 cents) so i'll be reading that 1st.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
                  Hollywoodland was OK but boring. They should've tightened it up . Too long, too slow.

I have BD on the queue. I just got the Ellroy book from a thrift store (50 cents) so i'll be reading that 1st.

The book is amazing. I couldn't put it down.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

i still refuse to see anything with overrated Ben Affleck attached.

The Black Dhalia was a snoozefest but had awesome cinematography. That's about it though. Mr. Ice and Mr. Fire, please.
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                    X