No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I did it my wayyyyyyyy

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    I'm happy to send you 2 of my show bibles if you wanna skim through them to see what's generally expected of the format. But, yeah, they gotta look beautiful. PM me your email and I'll send if you want.

PS... I wouldn't recommend going as long as I did. Aim for 15-20 pages. But, yeah, current bibles are hard to get your hands on unless your rep shares some of their clients bibles with you (***DISCLAIMER***: I will never pass on any bibles that aren't mine. Client privacy etc.)
    Thanks PM sent
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

There are some bibles at the Google TV writing archive.

HTH,
      Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
      3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
        Thanks PM sent
        Sent.
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
          There are some bibles at the Google TV writing archive.

HTH,

I just want to strongly ***CAUTION*** that writers DO NOT create Show Bibles that are text only documents. It's not what's going on in today's market. If there's no glossy beautiful pictures on nearly every page, consider it an outdated show bible (Example: No one would ever read The Wire bible in today's market). Try to get your hands on some new show bibles.

Comment

David Lynch did this for the 19-hour Twin Peaks revival, which is not a model I would try to replicate for myself (everything, including the pilot, is going to change in development and once there is an actual room, so no sense in trying to break anything more than 1 hr. of that story now)

Comment

I just want to strongly ***CAUTION*** that writers DO NOT create Show Bibles that are text only documents. It's not what's going on in today's market. If there's no glossy beautiful pictures on nearly every page, consider it an outdated show bible (Example: No one would ever read The Wire bible in today's market). Try to get your hands on some new show bibles.
              I'm a sitcom/half-hour guy and it's rare to write a bible for a half-hour even after the pitch is sold or the pilot green-lit. Hour length is another issue, and pitch decks and look-books are more the norm in that realm especially with genre shows, but I always felt that those were different than a bible, or are these things (pitch decks and bibles) getting smooshed together and or conflated now?
              Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
              3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
                I'm a sitcom/half-hour guy and it's rare to write a bible for a half-hour even after the pitch is sold or the pilot green-lit. Hour length is another issue, and pitch decks and look-books are more the norm in that realm especially with genre shows, but I always felt that those were different than a bible, or are these things (pitch decks and bibles) getting smooshed together and or conflated now?
                Good catch! Good distinction. I don't want to give bad or misleading info.

I'm one hour drama (premium cable), so I have no idea how sitcom comedy is pitched, true.

I think they're somewhat being conflated: Show Bibles for these one hour dramas technically don't have quite as much info as Pitch Decks. Similar, but mostly they're look books. They lack: Producing team, key creatives, casting ideas, director’s statement, producer’s statement.

Someone can correct me if I'm forgetting other distinctions.

Show Bible is generally structured like:

-Opening Image
                -Opening Statement/Logline-ish
                -Title of Show
                -The Series Outline (one page)
                -Setting
                -Characters
                (List key players here. Each get their own BIO, and possibly their own page)
                (Now supporting characters likely share pages)
                -Pilot Episode
                -Season 1
                -Season 2 and Beyond (get's compressed)
                -Closing Statement (why you believe this should be a show)
                -Inspiration (if any)
                -Closing Title Page (reminder what the show's called)
                -Reps Name/Company

Most I've seen are around 25 pages with anywhere from 40 to 100 photos. I tend to like making collage, 50 pics on one page that tell a story, I usually do that up front. I think my last bible had a total of 180 photos, often multiple per page. But, header pages for me are always 1 very dramatic image. But whatever, there's no real rule about how to do it, just has to look RAD! and express the tone/trajectory very clearly.

I should add: It's not just pictures (for those who don't know) text-wise, Idk 8,000 words? Random guess. It's definitely a complex document. I'd try to get your hands on several (NEW ONES) so you can see the many ways people have done it. There's some bad-ass bibles out there!
                Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 08-21-2019, 04:27 PM.

Comment

also, fyi, there are apparently WGA minimums for writing a show bible and it's not insubstantial ($59,929+) so . . . why work for free?

Comment

Thought I’d share a few pages of one of my bibles to try to help for those who have no idea what these things look like.

Whatever… didn’t sell, so fukk it. Had a big producer on it for over a year. But, this is generally what your sh!t needs to look like (clean) if you’re unaware. I get many of us already know this.

First image is a long shot of several pages to show the general “shape/flow”. The other pages are individual pages. BTW - the entire bible is 28 pages so this is NOT the whole thing (don’t want to share the whole thing).

Oh, and i'm skipping major text sections posting it this way...

https://imgur.com/6Muwvby

I did all the photoshop on this next page. All sound bites are mine. GO FOR IT! I say!

https://imgur.com/a/Ml3lvoh

https://imgur.com/a/ZeitMrY

https://imgur.com/a/ioMSwxq

https://imgur.com/a/G7FUIon

https://imgur.com/a/wWdSZGK

https://imgur.com/a/XdsVhN3

https://imgur.com/a/vOpAWfZ

https://imgur.com/a/iwUbzBf

https://imgur.com/a/AiFgmyT

LASTLY: TRY TO MAKE IT PERSONAL (my last page)

https://imgur.com/a/uLdtU09

This idea had EVERYTHING (IP/Consultants/big producer)... didn't sell. Fukk this town!
                    Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 08-21-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                      also, fyi, there are apparently WGA minimums for writing a show bible and it's not insubstantial ($59,929+) so . . . why work for free?
                      To try to sell it. LOL. Do people get paid to write bibles? SIGN ME UP!

"We're gonna need a bible to the bible before we can pay you." Ha! Fukkers!

Comment

LOL... am I the only one willing to share some pages? I'd like to see some pages from other's as well. How are you guys doing it? (don't have to share the whole bible, I didn't).

Comment

LOL... am I the only one willing to share some pages? I'd like to see some pages from other's as well. How are you guys doing it? (don't have to share the whole bible, I didn't).
                          I'm willing to share a bible that I did in 2012-2014. The project is dead now, but I still think my bible structure was pretty sound. I'd love to bounce it off a smaller group and see if I want to use that kind of bible structure going forward. Not willing to post pages here for the public, but exchange through email or a smaller group, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                            I'm willing to share a bible that I did in 2012-2014. The project is dead now, but I still think my bible structure was pretty sound. I'd love to bounce it off a smaller group and see if I want to use that kind of bible structure going forward. Not willing to post pages here for the public, but exchange through email or a smaller group, etc.
                            Cool! Let's figure out how to do this. Is there a way to have a group private thread or do we need to take this offline? I'd love to see other people's show bibles in their entirety. I know we have a lot of talented folks here.

My email: guccighost6969 (AT) gmail.com

Comment

It's in your profile and I can only assume it's like an email I use just for this board and that I pray that's not the one you send to the town when you pitch something... just kidding i 100% hope it's the same email!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                It's in your profile and I can only assume it's like an email I use just for this board and that I pray that's not the one you send to the town when you pitch something... just kidding i 100% hope it's the same email!
                                Nah... My birth name is Gucci Ghost. Ha!

Comment

Working...
                                X