Managers for Older Actresses a Hindrance?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managers for Older Actresses a Hindrance?

I've had some troubling experiences with the managers of actresses who are considered "older."

I thought actresses in this age range were dying for material, especially starring roles -- instead of the usual small featured part.

I have two scripts for older actresses, but can't find a way to get the work to them. I'm WGA, and I have an agent, but not the type of agent that would immediately make them drop everything to take the phone call.

If you can't get the work to the people who are dying to do it and who are having trouble finding roles, then what do you do?

I've been really perplexed by this problem.

Re: Managers for Older Actresses a Hindrance?

Since no one else has jumped in, I'll throw out a few points in case it might help.

Reps are generally there to field offers. Granted it's really the agents who are supposed to work with offers and managers are supposed to guide & shape careers, but still it's about money. If the talent doesn't get paid then the reps do not get paid. What are you offering them? It sounds like nothing but your script. If the talent says, "Yeah I like this," what does their rep get? Nothing. They wouldn't get any money until *if* and when it was set up, the actress was definitely cast and paid, etc. It does the rep no good to work with you. Also keep in mind, how many films with older actresses are being made year? Thus, what are the chances anyone will ever see any money from this?

When you want most actors of any real stature to read your material, you send the script over with an offer. Or, as in so many cases, you are an established studio or company and you send the script over to the agent for the actor to read before they come in to meet with the director and/or producers.

Sure there are older actresses who are looking for parts. All actors are really. But they want jobs too. Jobs that pay them. It may not be millions but they need and want to work... for money. So unless I'm missing something or you left out some key details, you and your agent should most likely focus on getting established production companies and producers to become interested in your project. People that actually have a shot at getting money, getting it made and paying the actresses, who will pay their reps. Then they will (most likely) start looking at your script.

They may be dying to do work on a project, but not yours since there is no movie or money. It's just you thinking -- like tens of thousands of other writers, filmmakers, etc. -- that Jane Doe would be great for your script/film. They bring infinitely more to the table than you do at this point, pretty much regardless of how good your script *might* be. Now that the scripts are done, you need to put on your business cap and think a bit like producers, reps, talent, etc. do.

Who would realistically make your projects? For how much? Is it a studio picture? Or a Lifetime channel movie? Try to go to companies that make what you wrote, if you haven't yet. Also, research the actresses you are interested in getting this to. What films or TV shows have they worked on? Then figure out what producers were on those projects who can go to the actresses to get them to read it, especially if your agent doesn't have enough clout.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

What about actors (old or young) who have production companies? They would get producer credit (and more money?) if the project gets made, and can exert more control over the project.

What about contacting actors through their production companies?
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
        What about actors (old or young) who have production companies? They would get producer credit (and more money?) if the project gets made, and can exert more control over the project.

What about contacting actors through their production companies?
        Yes. That's a nice way to go too, though I don't think you'll find many "older" actresses with production companies, but always worth a few minutes of research. You/one will still have to go through their gatekeepers which can make it tough, but that's frequently easier than a rep.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

once upon a time i was producing a movie with a sundance winning, golden globe nominated writer director whose two previous projects had gotten oscar nominations for each lead.
          this time the lead was an over fifty actress. we went out to all those amazing women who rarely get to star in brilliant scripts - only to be rejected by each. they were aghast that they had to play a GRANDMOTHER. (a young grandmother, but one nonetheless). i learned then that many over fifty actresses want to work - but not playing over fifty.

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
            we went out to all those amazing women who rarely get to star in brilliant scripts - only to be rejected by each. they were aghast that they had to play a GRANDMOTHER.
            I think there's that struggle that goes on with actresses in the 50ish range. So many of them look a lot younger, so they want to hold on to that for as long as possible. The guys that age aren't being asked to play grandpa, so I can understand the frustration that women have. Up until he retired, Paul Newman was still being paired off with significantly younger female leads.

My script calls for women who are really old -- we're talking Marigold Hotel old, so I don't understand why some of the managers won't respond.

Ironically, we got interest from one of the very top older actresses out there -- pending financing. I'd love to get some more actresses of her caliber on board before hitting the prodcos. That was my goal, and that's why I don't understand the lack of response.

Comment

have you checked out the smaller screen lately. a large number of "academy nominated" actresses are producing and acting in their own stuff for cable tv.

Comment

Originally posted by MLawe View Post
                I've had some troubling experiences with the managers of actresses who are considered "older."
                I was wondering if you meant Meryl Streep/Judi Dench older, or Reese Whitherspoon/Sandra Bullock who are now apparently considered "older" by Hollywood standards.
                "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by MLawe View Post
                  My script calls for women who are really old -- we're talking Marigold Hotel old, so I don't understand why some of the managers won't respond.
                  Because there is no firm offer?

I kind of don't understand the question. Unless you are a producer, why would you want to get a script to an actress? Why not get it to a producer who will buy it and hire the actress?

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

MLawe, if you have an agent, he/she should do the legwork. If you weren't repped, I'd understand your frustration. However, to paraphrase an old saying, I have the strength to change some things, the knowledge that I can't change other things and the wisdom to know the difference.
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I'm in the independent industry and wanted an older actress (well-known in my world) for a lead role in one of my current projects.

I tracked down her email address, sent her an email and asked that she respond should she be interested in the project.

She responded, I sent her the script, she loved the role, and then we met for coffee where she agreed to take the part.

Then I contacted her agent (after I told her to let him know that I would be making contact) and he and I signed an agreement attaching her.

Easy as pie.

Again, though, I'm independent. Could be much harder in Hollywood. I really don't know.
                      il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Originally posted by LMPurves View Post
                        I'm in the independent industry and wanted an older actress (well-known in my world) for a lead role in one of my current projects.

I tracked down her email address, sent her an email and asked that she respond should she be interested in the project.

She responded, I sent her the script, she loved the role, and then we met for coffee where she agreed to take the part.

Then I contacted her agent (after I told her to let him know that I would be making contact) and he and I signed an agreement attaching her.

Easy as pie.

Again, though, I'm independent. Could be much harder in Hollywood. I really don't know.
                        Are you located outside the US?

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                          Because there is no firm offer?

I kind of don't understand the question. Unless you are a producer, why would you want to get a script to an actress? Why not get it to a producer who will buy it and hire the actress?

- Bill
                          Consider this: If an actor waits for his or her phone to ring, good luck with that. If however, that talent, especially one that's up and coming, has a script they like and would be "perfect" in, when they "accidentally", for real or contrived, run into a producer, director, money person, manager, agent and so on, they have something to talk about other than telling them how great an actor they are, which amounts to groveling for a scrap from the table.

Would it not be far more professional (read: impressive) to be able to say to them, "I have (or know of) a script you might be interested in...?" That person would bet their rear-end the talent wants a certain role in it and would surely not be offended. I'll be doing the same thing, only from the opposite direction. Attached to the script? No. That would be foolish, for both of us.

Yes, the talent would, at first blush, seemingly be pitching the script (project), but they'd be pitching themselves at the same time and in doing so, bringing to the conversation more than a just a head-shot and acting resume.

I'm doing that right now but the problem I'm having is the lead role must, of course, be able to act, but also sing, and that's a major hurdle because in a key scene, she sings a lullaby - a cappella.

Her ideal set of demographics include - some acting roles, the more the better, young (plays 25), with looks that men dream about and women everywhere envy and pursuing a parallel singing career.

So, be nice to writers and if ANYONE knows where I can find such a talent this side of Heaven, PLEASE contact me or, better still, have her manager or A&R rep do it. I'm in Georgia, which is exploding, and here we do things (a lot) different.

Comment

Originally posted by Winterchase View Post
                            Would it not be far more professional (read: impressive) to be able to say to them, "I have (or know of) a script you might be interested in...?" That person would bet their rear-end the talent wants a certain role in it and would surely not be offended.
                            I have to say, having worked at CAA before, that the answer to this question, is a definite "no". Agents, at least those at larger agencies, do not feel good about bringing a script to a client that does not have any financing or attachments.

To a screenwriter or filmmaker, it might seem like you're offering them a chance to participate in the development of your project. And yes, there is the chance that possibly the client might (MIGHT) have an interest in your script. But from an agent's point-of-view, taking such a screenplay (with no $ or attachments) to a client doesn't mean "I have (or know of) a script you might be interested in..." What it really says to their client (and other industry professionals) is that "I have (or know of) a script you might be interested in... but it doesn't have any offer of payment, nor have any other notable attachments and I'm not a good enough agent to get you one that does, so here take this... it's the best I can do."

I know that sounds cynical, but that's the way most agents operate. They take projects that have money or talent already attached, or at least ones that have a VERY good chance to be that in the future.

And be wary too, if an agent says that their client would be interested, pending financing. Unless you get a letter of intent or something, that's usually just them saying, bring it back with money attached and an offer and I'll have my client read it.

Perhaps you can try managers, as they will likely be more receptive in general. And good luck!!
                            http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/

Comment

Just throwing this out there. What if you hired or worked with a casting agent to find actresses for a table read or staged reading? I don't know how much it would cost, but this way they're being contacted through professional channels and the script now has some wheels under it. Investors and/or reps of bigger talent might be enticed to attend. If nothing else, a casting agent might help guide your search.

Comment

Working...
                              X