Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlander

The premiere certainly got a strong reception, and it's already renewed for a second season after only one episode. (Has that ever happened before?)

But I was disappointed. I've read all the books and am listening to the latest one via Audible at the moment.

The author and main character have a "voice" I enjoy -- irreverent and humorous. That seems to be missing from the series.

I thought the first episode was heavy-handed on the VO and the exposition but missing the sense of fun.

What did others think? (especially those who know the books)
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Outlander

A good number of TV series are getting renewed after 1 episode in the cable world. And some series before they even have their premiere episode.

Cable TV networks are willing to bet more long term on the success of a series and allow their shows to find their creative footing (which is one of the many reasons why cable TV is kicking network TV's ass)

Comment

I enjoyed the books and (generally) the first episode. The second had more of a full on cheesy romance novel feel to it but I'll stick around for a few more to see how it goes.

Interestingly, as opposed to you, I thought Claire matched my expectations fairly well. I do think that she is perhaps a bit less irreverent than in the books, but I also think that although that played fine on the page, it might not have suited her actual situation as well when we see it on screen.

Jaimie, on the other hand, is not at all what I pictured from the books - too clean cut, too perfect, too stereotypical, dashing romance hero.

Comment

I see what you mean about the irreverence not playing well on screen. The problem is, by playing it straight they're making it deathly dull -- just another costume drama with titties and blood.

Just watched ep. 2 and I'm not loving it. It seems so sloooooow.... The writing seems heavy handed, and I feel like I'm watching the actors act the lines rather then be the characters. I'm not sure if the problem with Claire is her lines or her acting, but it's not working for me.

It's been compared to Game of Thrones, but GoT is a far more effective adaptation (and better source material), IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
          I see what you mean about the irreverence not playing well on screen. The problem is, by playing it straight they're making it deathly dull -- just another costume drama with titties and blood.

Just watched ep. 2 and I'm not loving it. It seems so sloooooow.... The writing seems heavy handed, and I feel like I'm watching the actors act the lines rather then be the characters. I'm not sure if the problem with Claire is her lines or her acting, but it's not working for me.

It's been compared to Game of Thrones, but GoT is a far more effective adaptation (and better source material), IMO.
          I haven't read the books, but agree with what you say here. It's very slow, and has a heavy romance novel feel. I'd like it better with more humor. For example, it struck me funny that she immediately received 3 different expensive-looking outfits (especially the last one with a big fur collar) without having any money to pay for anything.

I don't know if it's a shortcoming of the source material, but I wouldn't put this in the same class as GoT, which not only has a billion story threads but also moments of great depth.

I'll probably try another episode, but may not stick around for long if it doesn't improve.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

I wonder if one problem is the single person POV. In GoT (also Homeland, House of Cards, Mad Men, etc,) the multiple POVs let you focus on the drama in each person's life and skip the boring parts. Also gives you a different perspective on the same events.

Claire in the books is intelligent and snarky and a wry observer of her situation. Here she's just horny and whiny.

And that George II line sure landed with a thud. I'm blaming the writers who seemed to have missed everything that made the original MORE than a formula romance novel.

Comment

IIRC Gabaldon was so against the idea of her books being called romances that she once refused to do signings at Barnes & Noble stores until they got her books out of that section.
              "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
              Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                I wonder if one problem is the single person POV.
                I was thinking this, too. It does feel like it languishes about. I really like the concept a lot and wish it had a bit more suspense and tension.

I'd enjoy it more if it took on other POVs, but then it might stray from the concept to much. Then what do you do when she time jumps again. I haven't read the books, but are the same actors present in each time?

I wonder if it wouldn't help to show her husband in the future trying to figure out what happened to her.

The most intriguing moment was when the *ghost* was staring at Claire and disappeared when Frank passed him-- I was like, ooohh, this is gonna be good. I just hope they keep that supernatural string going.

The scenery is just beautiful.
                FA4
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  I was thinking this, too. It does feel like it languishes about. I really like the concept a lot and wish it had a bit more suspense and tension.

I'd enjoy it more if it took on other POVs, but then it might stray from the concept to much. Then what do you do when she time jumps again. I haven't read the books, but are the same actors present in each time?

I wonder if it wouldn't help to show her husband in the future trying to figure out what happened to her.

The most intriguing moment was when the *ghost* was staring at Claire and disappeared when Frank passed him-- I was like, ooohh, this is gonna be good. I just hope they keep that supernatural string going.

The scenery is just beautiful.
                  FA4
                  There are other perspectives presented in chapters of subsequent books, but Claire's is always the only one told in first person. The rest are in third person.

Still, this is TV. They could and should show other things happening beyond what Claire experiences and observes.

Are the same actors present in each time? ...Well, sometimes. That's a serious spoilery thing.

I have actually wondered several times, after reading all of the books thus far, whether I missed something along the way about the Frank/ghost bit in the first book. Because as far as I can recall, that's never touched on again in all six million pages since then.
                  "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                  Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Gawwwwd it's sloooooowwwwww....

So far I've stayed awake, but it's put to sleep both my husband and my daughter's boyfriend.

And I'm really not liking the writing. It's just ham-fisted and OTN. We're getting 100% of the lead character's thoughts/plans and 0% of the voice that makes the books interesting.

The last line of the VO last episode almost made me groan/gag, and my teenage daughter said "that was a bad line."

Guess I raised her right.

Comment

I actually really dig the show. It's definitely molasses slow, but for some reason it doesn't bother me. I think her character is really engaging and strong. She's definitely lasted way longer than I would have, haha
                      @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Llama View Post
                        I actually really dig the show. It's definitely molasses slow, but for some reason it doesn't bother me. I think her character is really engaging and strong. She's definitely lasted way longer than I would have, haha
                        +1.

I think it's interesting to get 100% insight into the character's thoughts while events are happening. Like a visual book. And the lead certainly has a good voice for VO. It's almost a character in itself... actually, I guess it is, because she's both the lead character and the narrator...
                        life happens
                        despite a few cracked pots-
                        and random sunlight

Comment

Outlander begins on TV, and support for Scottish independence surges... coincidence?

http://rt.com/uk/183608-scotland-ind...poll-increase/

Comment

Last night's episode was killer. I feel like they found the stakes that were missing from the first half of the season. Too bad there's only two episodes left now that they finally got into some life or death stuff.
                            @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Llama View Post
                              Last night's episode was killer. I feel like they found the stakes that were missing from the first half of the season. Too bad there's only two episodes left now that they finally got into some life or death stuff.
                              I so agree with you, 8bit Llama, it's swiftly becoming a favorite of mine. It's got a lot going for it.

And I have to say, I'm eagerly anticipating the next episode. And I love the title sequence-- as beautiful musically as it is visually.
                              FA
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                              X