Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertainment Atty Can't Help?

I have cultivated a good relationship with a fairly well connected entertainment attorney in Beverly Hills. In the near future, I was going to ask him to (1) read my script and (2) to pass it on to his actor clients.

I was then informed by a credible, I think, source that the atty cannot ethically pass my script on. Is my source correct? If correct, how else can I leverage the relationship with the atty?

Re: Entertainment Atty Can't Help?

Dude.
    What a load.
    Entertainment attorneys do it all of the time.
    It's part of the grease that lubes the
    Hollywood gears.
    Hit your guy up now instead of later.
    You have nothing to lose.
    Just don't do it on an hourly basis.
    TC

Comment

You have a business relationship with him or a social one? If it's social, I think step (2) would generally be considered uncool. Like asking someone if they'll give their agent your script.

Comment

as i understand it, asking your friend to pass your script to their agent is bad because you could be taking the agent's attention away from your friend.

But an entertainment attorney passing your script along to an actor they represent should be fine because the attorney isn't going to (potentially) lose business or the attention of the actor as a result.

Comment

It's bad because you're putting them on the spot. They don't really think it's good enough to pass on (or they would already) and they don't want to tell you, their friend, it's not that great. I think it's the same thing with anyone, be it a writer friend, agent friend, office P.A. friend, assistant friend...

If your attorney friend thinks it's a great match for his client, he'll ask you if he can send it over. If not, you're putting him on the spot.

Comment

My advice? FWIW...

Number one: your script better be TIGHT before sending it to any pro, or you're gonna burn that bridge, possibly forever. Have it read by other writers, readers, anyone who can help you identify problems before submitting. (COMPLETELY forget about passing it on to actors at this point. Don't even bring it up or you'll show yourself to be a rank newbie.)

And B: Instead of asking the attorney read it for himself, ask him what would be the process for submitting the script to his company. Tell him you don't want to take up his valuable time, that possibly a Jr. associate could read it and see if anything was there. This will probably yield one of two outcomes:

- he'll offer to look at it himself, then pass it on to his associate.

- he'll tell you who to submit it to in his office, and they'll pass it on to their associate.

Either way, it shows you don't want to take overt advantage of your relationship and you want to be professional in your approach to him.

Oh, and after you give it over, don't pester him or ask about it again. If it's any good, he'll let you know. If it's not, let it go, keep the relationship and find another way in.
            I'm always right.

Comment

First make sure your script is the best it could be... not 3rd draft ready, I'm talking like 10th draft ready... when you went over notes every single reader gave you and did 5 more drafts... but when you send it you still call it your 1st draft -- at that stage definitely ask anyone you know to help you out...

When I first got here... some years ago, I made the mistake of sending my script to a known exec that I knew, way before it was ready, Big mistake!!! and trust me I was convinced it was ready... Good thing he was Super cool and told me, do a few re-writes then send it to me...

But hit the lawyer, hit your friends, hit anyone who is willing to help. You've got nothing to lose... and if your friends are really friends they will tell you if you're script is not ready. There's no way they will want to jeopordize their relationship or status with an agent/actor/exec etc...

g'luck...

Comment

Because of all the nonsense here, this is why you shouldn't ask people for advice.

There's nothing wrong in asking this attorney if he's willing to read your script. He may nor may not like it, but if he likes it, yes, it's possible that he could pass it on.

Some lawyers do it.

The people on here advising you not to do it may also be jealous because it sounds like you have a potential avenue in. You'll never know what works or doesn't work until you TRY IT!
                Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Thanks NYNEX,

I think I'll take your advice when my script is really ready. I just didn't want to blow any protocols if I can help it.

Comment

Originally posted by midwstwriter View Post
                    Thanks NYNEX,

I think I'll take your advice when my script is really ready. I just didn't want to blow any protocols if I can help it.
                    There are no protocols for something like this, and by worrying so much about the protocols, you show your inexperience.

There are entertainment lawyers who do pass scripts on to their producer clients or to whoever in the industry. Not all do, but some do.

In fact, there are screenwriters who have gotten deals that way. In fact, some prodcos will openly say that accept screenplays sent by an entertainment lawyer, an agent, or a manager.

So I can't believe the so called advice you're getting here. You need to realize that if it looks like you're getting close to success, there are people who out of jealously will try to discourage you.
                    Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Originally posted by NYNEX View Post

In fact, some prodcos will openly say that accept screenplays sent by an entertainment lawyer, an agent, or a manager.
                      Seriously? This is good to know.

Now, this is the "so called" advice you need to listen to. Thanks for pointing that out, NYNEX.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

I don't see anyone advising him not to give the script to the lawyer. They're suggesting he get really clear about it being in the best shape it can be before he does. That is good advice. No jealousy involved.

The second part, asking him to pass it along, that's where opinions differ. You can ask, and he can say no. Or yes.

I attended a talk by a very well-known producer recently who told a story about his earlier days, when he was cultivating a relationship with a legendary producer. Legendary realized that many people cultivated him for business purposes, and he was okay with it, cause he did it himself. He said something like that to well-known and then said to him, I like you, so here's the deal: you can ask me for one favor and I will grant it at that time without question, but you only get one. So think long and hard before you ask, cause it will be the only one.

So Well-known thought long and hard. It was ten years before he asked. And Legendary did as he promised he would do, and it resulted it in financial success for both. And lo and behold, they worked together again, without any favors having to be asked.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                          I don't see anyone advising him not to give the script to the lawyer. They're suggesting he get really clear about it being in the best shape it can be before he does. That is good advice. No jealousy involved.

The second part, asking him to pass it along, that's where opinions differ. You can ask, and he can say no. Or yes...
                          My point exactly. Whatever your endeavor, be professional.
                          I'm always right.

Comment

I was introduced to a well-connected entertainment lawyer.

When my script was ready, I offered to treat for lunch to discuss my plans & ask his opinion. In the email, I included the pitch / logline.

He said "send it." We didn't even do lunch.

He read it and passed to major production company.

1) Make sure it's ready. You get one chance. Make sure it is ready. Assume it's your last chance as mentioned earlier. Write a great script and did I mention, make sure it is ready?

2) Be polite and just ask. If you are polite, professional and honest, you will learn whatever protocols you need to along the way.

GOOD LUCK!

Originally posted by midwstwriter View Post
                            I have cultivated a good relationship with a fairly well connected entertainment attorney in Beverly Hills. In the near future, I was going to ask him to (1) read my script and (2) to pass it on to his actor clients.

I was then informed by a credible, I think, source that the atty cannot ethically pass my script on. Is my source correct? If correct, how else can I leverage the relationship with the atty?
                            a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Working...
                            X